Are My Calories Too Low?

Options
Hello, everyone!
My name is Samantha, I am new to MFP (although I had joined a few years back for school).
I have a general question in regards to if I am consuming enough calories as I have seen some people had to bump up their numbers because they just weren't eating enough.

Right now I am a freshman in college and I do a lot of walking to and from different class buildings on campus, and I generally have to walk to get almost everywhere (such as Walgreens, the gym, dining halls, etc..). I put my activity level at lightly active for these reasons. My goal is to ultimately lose 30lbs at 2lbs/week through working out for an hour 5 days/week. MFP put my net caloric intake at 1250, and for the past two days I have gone to the gym and have either been at or below my net amount. Today is my "rest" day from the gym and I have noticed that at almost all times I feel slightly hungry. Not hungry enough where I am getting stomach pains or stomach growls, but just enough for me to constantly be aware of it.

Is this feeling normal in the beginning? Any advice?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    2 pound per week weight loss is fairly extreme unless your morbidly obese.

Here is the guideline I see all the time on these forums if your using mfp default method:
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Also, the days you work out you should aim to eat back your exercise calories, at least 50% of them. If your using mfp to determine calories burned be careful because they overestimate some calories burned, underestimate others.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, Samantha? Are you trying to lose 30 lbs total? If you just have 30 lbs to lose, aiming for a 2 lb/week loss is probably creating way too high of a deficit for you, which is why you're feeling hungry. I think you would be better off trying to lose 1 lb/week (therefore increasing your calories). It will be more sustainable for you over the long run.
  • x_Samtastic
    x_Samtastic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 180lbs, shooting for 150 or whatever works out best once I start seeing the numbers creep down! :)
    I do try to eat back some of my exercise calories, and I was fine yesterday with that, but it'd probably be best if I did change my goal to 1lb/week.

• raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I feel what you describe when I'm in calarie deficit mode. I'm on the 1 1/2 lbs per week allotment at 1280 net calories. I've done MFP off and on a couple different times and it works great for me. I am currently shedding the 13 lbs of weight I packed on over the holiday season. I also notice I'm a bit weaker during exercise when in deficit mode. Might not be appropriate to say but for me (and I'm not advocating this for others) I'd rather get it off in a shorter amount of time and get to maintaining sooner. Like you I'd describe it as a slightly hungry feeling. I'd also say I've done this enough to know when I'm over doing it and I'll kick up the calaries if I feel overly hungry or sapped of energy.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 180lbs, shooting for 150 or whatever works out best once I start seeing the numbers creep down! :)
    I do try to eat back some of my exercise calories, and I was fine yesterday with that, but it'd probably be best if I did change my goal to 1lb/week.

I'm 5'7" also, and my starting weight/weight loss goal was pretty similar to yours. It does sound like 1 lb/week will be the best course for you right now. That's what I aimed for, and I'm amazed at how quickly the time has passed! Plus, by not restricting my calories too much, I usually have room left over for ice cream :smile: