almond milk??

I am extremely confused about almond milk. I bought unsweetened almond milk as I heard it was good (i.e. better nutritional value and lower cals and fat) for making shakes and what not. I have read many articles about almond milk vs cows milk and I must say, the science is approving and disapproving of both. The comments people post under these articles are not only absurd, but also lack any real education for the most part. I don't care for opinions on taste and whether milk is meant to be ingested as I can make my own opinion and it will differ from many other people's. I am not looking for a comparison, just some facts about almond milk itself. I know it's full of nutrients and minerals. So are many other things. What I do not understand for sure, is that is said to be low in fat. The unsweetened carton I bought is 30 calories per 1 cup serving and 25 of those are calories from fat. Don't I want less calories from fat? The fat free skim milk that I drink is 90 calories per 1 cup serving, but 0 calories from fat. Skim also has more protein. Unsweetened almond milk has 2.5g Total fat, but less carbs and sugars than Skim. So, what I'm asking is, am I better off not using Almond milk and sticking with what I'm used to? Before responding, please remember that I am not looking for preaching about whether or not I should be drinking milk, just facts about almond milk and if I should be drinking it or not. Like I said, I basically only use milk, almond or cows, to make protein shakes.

Replies

• markdagman
    markdagman Posts: 1 Member
    I use almond milk for my protein shakes and its awesome. Its only 30 calories and has fats. Trying to stay under 1500 calories and hitting 30-40 grams of fat is pretty hard, especially if your diet cosist of lean chicken breast, egg whites and a ton of veggies.
    you may be trying to over analyze this. Just remember, fats don't make you fat. Excess caloric intake makes you fat.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I think it probably wouldn't make much difference which milk you use in regards to fat, as long as you were within your daily limits for fats consumed. Having said that, animal fats are saturated whereas many (but not all) plant based fats tend to be unsaturated. Some health issues may require changing the fats in your diet. The body does need some fat in order to function.

I personally opt for unsweetened almond milk, but that's only because I can't drink cow's or soy milk, and I rely on it for a source of calcium in my diet and I find unsweetened almond milk is more versitile than the sweetened/flavoured milks.