Sugar Over but Calories Under

Options
If you go over on sugar content but stay under your calorie intake goal, are u still going to lose weight?

Replies

• Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Good Question.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will still lose weight. From a weigh loss perspective, it's how much you eat, not what you eat.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I call that a sugar paaaarty.

Yes, you will lose weight in a calorie deficit, even if you're a little on the sweet side. I hit 100g of sugar some days (when I look, I don't even track it, instead I track fiber).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes. In addition, the sugar limit on MFP is based on the FDA recommendation for added sugar, but the sugar total is for all sugars, so it doesn't have any meaning. I don't even bother tracking sugar.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't track my sugar at all.
  • Chavellek
    Chavellek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks . I really appreciate it.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In the short term, yes. In the long term, you need to be careful with sugar intake, if you are not reducing your long term sugar/carbs, the chances are you will put on any weight that you have lost.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    In the short term, yes. In the long term, you need to be careful with sugar intake, if you are not reducing your long term sugar/carbs, the chances are you will put on any weight that you have lost.
    Nope. You will only put on weight if you eat over your maintenance. The type of food does not matter.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The type of food does matter in the long run, calories in/calories out is a flawed method. You have to be careful if you are maintaining a high sugar habit (i.e. Coca-Cola) but cutting food for example. That is my point.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to everything but the calories. so much less stressful
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes…

end thread/
  • ndj1979
    Options

ummm no, you would only put on weight if you starting eating in a surplus...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The type of food does matter in the long run, calories in/calories out is a flawed method. You have to be careful if you are maintaining a high sugar habit (i.e. Coca-Cola) but cutting food for example. That is my point.

how exactly is calories in vs calories out "flawed"….?

you can drink coca cola, be in a calorie deficit, and continue to lose weight...
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    In a word - yes.

Don't forget, MFP doesn't distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' sugar. Whether you eat a banana or a chocolate - it will still be regarded as sugar. I am often over my sugar goal as I eat a lot of fruit. Don't worry too much about it
  • deadyankee
    Options

you can drink coca cola, be in a calorie deficit, and continue to lose weight...

It's flawed if you have a wider goal of being healthy rather than just losing weight

The 'Rabbit Starvation' problem is an illustration, albeit an extreme one, of why a 'calorie is just a calorie' mantra is flawed if you want to live a healthy life

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-starvation.html
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

It's flawed if you have a wider goal of being healthy rather than just losing weight

Calories in vs out is simply a statement that X amount of calories for a certain person means gaining, maintaining, losing. I don't see how you can dispute it...If I eat 2500 calories, I'll gain. If I eat 1700 I'll lose. Fin.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    In a word - yes.

Don't forget, MFP doesn't distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' sugar. Whether you eat a banana or a chocolate - it will still be regarded as sugar. I am often over my sugar goal as I eat a lot of fruit. Don't worry too much about it

Sugar is sugar. .. is sugar. There's no good or bad.
  • deadyankee
    Options

Oh. So I'm unhealthy because I have a balanced diet and ignore sugar? My body breaks it down just like anything else. Aside from medical reasons sugar is merely a carb. A tasty one at that.

I don't believe that was what I said or that I was addressing you so I fail to see how you've leapt to that conclusion.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Well your point is wrong...sorry Bro!

Please don't spread false information on the forums, it doesn't help anyone!