Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie Uncertainty

So today, my boss took me out to lunch at an italian restaurant today and I ordered a dish and I feel so stupid because I can't find the calories to it anywhere!! I'm really worried I ate too many calories but the calories were not on the menu and I cant find even anything like it. It's called pappardelle alla zafferano. It's Pappardelle noodles with crab meat, shrimp and mussles tossed in some sort of brandy sauce. Anyone have any advice on what I should do??

?>

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Probably a lot of calories. Sounds delicious though.

I would just eat lightly for the rest of the day (but don't ignore hunger) and move on from it, honestly. Italian food is usually cooked with a lot of fats and such, and you can't work with no information.
  • 10nacityLex
    10nacityLex Posts: 16 Member
    I would do one of two things...Either add each component separately in the food log which would be a bit tedious or just follow my motto of "Ate it, Negate it" by burning the pasta calories tomorrow via cardio/weight training. Think about it this way, you stocked up on some carbs, so might as well make it a great gym day tomorrow. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Sometimes we are all forced to guestimate. I can usually get a good feel for how many calories something was by how long it takes me to get hungry again. But I've been doing this a long time.

Short story - don't sweat it too much. Probably a pasta in creamy sauce will come close enough.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Papardelle is just pasta - pretty much all pasta will have the same calories, for the same weight, use anything convenient from the database.

The rest of it you can just do ingredient by ingredient - shrimp are shrimp, crab is crab (more or less).

Then add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and it should be "close enough".
  • If you can't find the calorie count for that restaurant's food, just do what I do next time. I divide the dish in half on my plate and take half home with me. At Olive Garden out here in CA this works for me. I have the other half next day. :flowerforyou: Don't beat yourself up too much about it. If you don't eat out too much, like more than twice a month, you'll handle it.

My guess right off hand and considering the portion sizes they give would be right around 500 to 700 calories. Not counting drinks or bread or desert.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Just remember, you are never that accurate anyway. Go for a good estimate. In the long run, it is only a small error rate.