What does food cost where you live?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I live in the Mid-Atlantic (think near Washington D.C.).

Produce is actually cheaper than most would believe. Fruit is about 1.70 a pound on sale - usually apples and pears, but sometimes good deals on oranges. Strawberries can run 2.50 a box (usually a pound) on sale. Veggies are also good - mushrooms are expensive when not on sale (about 4.00 a pound) but there are frequent deals, 3 boxes for 5.00 (8 oz. a box). Cheap bread runs about a dollar a loaf (but I don't buy it, though). Milk is expensive - about 3.99 a gallon for regular, 4.50 to 5.00 for half gallons of soymilk. Yogurt runs about 1.00 a cup. Dairy products seem to cost more here than anything else. And large eggs run about 2.29 a carton.

ETA some more: bananas about 49 cents a pound. Ground beef about 3.49 a pound (less if you have a bonus card at my supermarket). Chicken breasts about 1.99 a pound, sometimes less.

I eat a lot of produce so finding it on sale is always a good thing.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My sincere apologies for that comment, it was thoughtless and you're right, very snobbish.

Well, kudos to you for apologising. Not many would.

Yeah, kudos from me too, can't be all bad if you can sincerely apologise without excuse. Not a total thunderc*nt after all. ;P
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I buy 1lb of fresh turkey breast steaks from Waitrose (UK) for £4.99, which equates to $8.33.
    2.5g of potatoes (5.5lbs) is £2.95, which is $4.93
    Dozen eggs is £3.10, which is $5.18.

:noway:

Those prices are horrific. The only item you mentioned that would even be on par with the prices here are the strawberries, and even that's kind of high.

It makes me realize just how lucky I am to have access to the items that I do for as little as I spend.