Do I really need to eat my recommend calories?

Options

Replies

• bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    When I started I had a lot of questions and the more I asked the more different points of view I got which led me to confusion. I was told about a article that has a ton of references by doctors, nutritionists, etc.. It really helped me understand what I can and can't do with my calorie intake. This link is to a article that I was reading which may be helpful to you too, but on the right is a selection of articles that may answer the exact questions you have. http://evidencemag.com/fat-loss-deficit/ I hope this helps! It did me!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't just about hunger, it's about fueling your body. Waiting until you get the shakes is a really really bad thing. Make a meal plan, have just a piece of toast w/some peanut butter and half a banana or something like that in the morning to get you going but not overwhelm your stomach if you're not hungry in the morning. Plan for a morning snack (some fruit, yogurt or something), plan your lunch, plan an afternoon snack and then have dinner. When you're working out you need to give your body the fuel it needs to get those workouts done!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes you do need to eat your recommended calories. 1200 is already quite low, but you can kid yourself into thinking you're eating enough when you're below that level. You're not.

The reasons you need to eat your recommended calories are:

- below that level it is very difficult for your body to get sufficient vitamins and minerals for long-term health. Supplements are not a long-term solution and if you are eating very small amounts you will not be absorbing the stated amounts on the bottle. If you don't want to have to deal with your hair falling out in six months then you need to make sure you are EATING enough of the essential vitamins and minerals, not to mention protein and all the other macronutrients
    - bodies can adapt to eating low amounts, to the point that you no longer feel hunger at a lower level. Your metabolism slows down after a long period of eating like this and it can be distressing to see the scale shooting up the minute you start eating a 'normal' amount. Your profile says you have anxiety issues, which can be made worse by being hungry and I imagine in your case is going to cause significant stress when you see the scale going up. Eat more now and avoid this becoming a much bigger problem later on.
    - Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be higher than what you are eating. If you continually eat below your BMR you aren't providing your body with the nutrition it needs to do all the normal things bodies do. Eating under your BMR for long periods will cause the problem I mentioned above
    - Many people your size on MFP are still losing weight eating 1200, 1300, 1400 and more calories a day. There is no reason why you won't either.
    - Your profile states you want to be physically strong. The fact that you are unable to identify your hunger to the point you are getting blood sugar slumps suggests that your current eating patterns are not making you strong.

I wonder if you have just got used to not eating much and are feeling anxious when you are eating more because you are worried about your weight. This is something that you need to overcome, whether it be by making a concerted effort to reach your goal calories for the day or by seeking professional help.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.

Seriously? Yes, she's 100 pounds. She is also 5'2" and only 19 years old. Her metabolism is through the roof, I would imagine. When I was her age (and also 5'2") I weighed 101 pounds with a very healthy relationship with food and my body image. However, I wasn't looking to lose weight. But still.. we are here for support and not to bring each other down. Right?

Huh? Why are you mad again?

What? I'm not mad at all. Was just stating we are here for support.

Blindly condoning a very low calorie diet is not being supportive - it's enabling.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.

Seriously? Yes, she's 100 pounds. She is also 5'2" and only 19 years old. Her metabolism is through the roof, I would imagine. When I was her age (and also 5'2") I weighed 101 pounds with a very healthy relationship with food and my body image. However, I wasn't looking to lose weight. But still.. we are here for support and not to bring each other down. Right?

Blindly condoning a very low calorie diet is not being supportive - it's enabling.

Telling a young girl with a history of eating disorder that it's OK to eat less than the minimum recommended calories is pretty much the opposite of support.
  • susie3g
    Options

And I'm not blindly condoning/enabling. Telling someone they are being unhealthy and have a bad body image is certainly no more supportive than my statements. It's important for people to hear POSITIVE feedback. As with all things, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. The OP apparently wants to be healthy or else the OP wouldn't be asking for help and she wouldn't be just grabbing whatever at the end of the day to try to get enougb calories. She would just not eat and not worry abou it.
  • susie3g
    Options

Telling a young girl with a history of eating disorder that it's OK to eat less than the minimum recommended calories is pretty much the opposite of support.

Will you please quote the part for me where the OP said they had a history of eating disorderbecause I seriously missed that part.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Will you please quote the part for me where the OP said they had a history of eating disorderbecause I seriously missed that part.

It's on the OP's profile, which was pointed out on the first page:

"I've struggled with eating issues since junior high. I had EDNOS all through junior high through high school and at my lowest point weighed in at only 109 lbs and was throwing up any little it of food I let myself eat."

Sometimes it helps to look at a person's profile, posting history, and food diary to get a sense of what kind of advice they need, as opposed to simply spouting off whatever you want without knowing what's going on.
  • susie3g
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Please show me where I said eating less than 1200 is ok!
  • susie3g
    Options

"I've struggled with eating issues since junior high. I had EDNOS all through junior high through high school and at my lowest point weighed in at only 109 lbs and was throwing up any little it of food I let myself eat."

Sometimes it helps to look at a person's profile, posting history, and food diary to get a sense of what kind of advice they need, as opposed to simply spouting off whatever you want without knowing what's going on.

I didn't go snooping into her profile. This is a valid question that I'm sure many people have, such as I, that are not even on the vergeof having an eating disorder. So if people could just answer the question with reasoning and support instead of bringing people down, that would be great.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Your proile says that you are 39 y/o and have struggled with your weight for 20 years. That means that at around age 19 you began your struggle with weight and body image...according to my calculations.

Yet here you are defending this 19 y/o that wants to lose at 100lbs??? Helping her is much different than supporting her unhealthy goals.

I think maybe you are seeing yourself in this 19 y/o.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I didn't go snooping into her profile. This is a valid question that I'm sure many people have, such as I, that are not even on the vergeof having an eating disorder. So if people could just answer the question with reasoning and support instead of bringing people down, that would be great.

I don't really think reading someone's public profile before giving them specific personal advice is "snooping."

You really need to stop posting; none of this helps the OP, if she's even still around.
  • susie3g
    Options

Your proile says that you are 39 y/o and have struggled with your weight for 20 years. That means that at around age 19 you began your struggle with weight and body image...according to my calculations.

Yet here you are defending this 19 y/o that wants to lose at 100lbs??? Helping her is much different than supporting her unhealthy goals.

Haha. Too funny! I got pregnant at 19 and my metabolism slowed. Also was on birth control that caused me to gain a ton of weight. There was nothing wrong with my self-image. You are sadly mistaken there.
  • susie3g
    Options

I don't really think reading someone's public profile before giving them specific personal advice is "snooping."

You really need to stop posting; none of this helps the OP, if she's even still around.
    And yet..what are you saying is such a huge help. Lmao. Whatever.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Looking at the open, public profile of a person who is already reaching out and asking for help is not snooping. People answering the question with reason. If you take offense at the realistic response that OP can't eat a very low 1200 calories and doesn't eat until she feels shaky at only 19 years old, perhaps this is a thread you should stay away from, especially as you have struggled with your weight in the past yourself. We are trying to help OP. Your defense of her unrealistic goals are not helpful or supportive in the least.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Who was bringing someone down?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Haha. Too funny! I got pregnant at 19 and my metabolism slowed. Also was on birth control that caused me to gain a ton of weight. There was nothing wrong with my self-image. You are sadly mistaken there.

Hm. I got pregnant and 17 and then at 19, and was on birth control and it did nothing to my metabolism. If I gained any weight during my pregnancy it was because I ate too much.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You are putting your body in starvation mode with your low calorie intake. first off you are already thin at 100lb and 5ft 4inches. This is not healthy at all.
    I have the same problem too. In fact I've seemed to gained a steady pound since I've started my attempt to net 1200 daily. I do feel more energetic, but my stomach has never ceased being bloated. Not sure if this is just my body adapting to a new eating schedule, or if I'm actually just on the path to gaining weight.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I just read your profile...I didn't snoop...you have it open to the public. MFP gives us the option of setting it to private or to friends only. Before I respond to any sensitive subject I want to know more about the person that I am responding to. If someone's profile is private then I usually don't respond. I don't want to give bad advice to someone that is struggling with unhealthy issues.

I also want to know the age...I am very hesitant to give advice to a teenager...as a parent...I wouldn't want my child to receive some of the advice that I have seen given here by strangers that don't know the history behind my child.

Just me I guess...I don't take anyone's health lightly...especially a 19 year old that weighs 100lbs and wants to lose down to 95lbs.
  • ariannad78
    Options
    hi think that it is a good idea because if want to lose or can gain or have loss to weight