Side Bends

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Question, doing side bends with a plate in one hand and leaning over pulling back up to ultimately work obliques. Does this exercise make for a "wider" mid section, of course not overtly wide as would be with excess fat, but if you were leaning out and did these exercises at a low BF, would it result in muscle growth/expansion, therefore resulting in a wider midsection?

Replies

• skeo
    Options
    bump?
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, they can. However they are good for some core/stability work. You'd have to put some real effort into them to make your waist noticibly bigger. Side planks are another option that would be good for the obliques and will not make your waist 'wide'.
  • skeo
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I figured for the growth and expansion it would take much more work then just doing side bends with a 25lb plate 2x a week. I used to do it with a 45lb plate 4x's a week, and even then didn't see a noticeable difference. Just a well known fitness guru posted it, "DON'T DO THESE, THEY'LL MAKE YOU WIDE" and with no explantion on how, why, or when...the question was up in the air.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, You can do side bends or sit-ups,
    But please don't lose that butt. Because his anaconda don't want none
    Unless you've got buns, hun.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

He has a name please and thank you. Angelo the anaconda.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

:love:
  • skeo
    Options

:blushing: :laugh:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Side bends w/a heavy kettlebell are one of my favorite exercises for the obliques. No they will not make your mid section bigger. Don't be scared of heavy weights. Like I said, I do these all the time and my waist is a whoopin' 25"
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    Can your waist widen doing side bends on the adjustable hyperextension equipment using just body weight?
  • girl6_nyc
    Options
    omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats a classic!
    Options
    omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats a classic!

Are you laughing at my question or the topic??
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Options
    Well,I thought these forums were a place to ask questions. We aren't all at the same level of fitness education as others. I heard this very thing in the past as well, so when i saw this question asked I was curious too. Certainly when we are looking to reduce our size we don't want to do something that is the opposite of what we are trying to achieve. Maybe I'm being too sensitive but it seems kinda rude to laugh at someones question even if its an obvious answer or stupid question to you. Just saying...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well,I thought these forums were a place to ask questions. We aren't all at the same level of fitness education as others. I heard this very thing in the past as well, so when i saw this question asked I was curious too. Certainly when we are looking to reduce our size we don't want to do something that is the opposite of what we are trying to achieve. Maybe I'm being too sensitive but it seems kinda rude to laugh at someones question even if its an obvious answer or stupid question to you. Just saying...

Maybe she's never done them? It's a great exercise (love the Roman Chair and wish I had one at home!).

I've heard that about oblique training forever, but I've never known anyone who put on big enough obliques to get noticeably wider (that I know of). But it would be easy enough to lose if it did happen; just cut back on the lifts that were doing it.
    Options

Maybe she's never done them? It's a great exercise (love the Roman Chair and wish I had one at home!).

I've heard that about oblique training forever, but I've never known anyone who put on big enough obliques to get noticeably wider (that I know of). But it would be easy enough to lose if it did happen; just cut back on the lifts that were doing it.

Well, i dunno if she has or not but I find it rude to laugh at someones question. I am relatively new to MFP and have just recently been visiting some of its message boards. Mainly to try and learn from others and improve. I have found through observation lately that there are a lot of people who answer questions with such a rude manner and really make the poster feel bad. It's like they get off on it. It's really made me think twice about posting further questions myself. I know it's hard to truly judge how someone meant to say something because we can't hear their voice and see if they are joking or not but it's very off putting.

I love the roman chair as well. ;)
    I have seen numerous web articles that confirm what she is saying too, so i don't think it's that stupid of a question. Thanks for your input. ;)
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Side bends w/a heavy kettlebell are one of my favorite exercises for the obliques. No they will not make your mid section bigger. Don't be scared of heavy weights. Like I said, I do these all the time and my waist is a whoopin' 25"

Also one handed kettlebell swings will toast your obliques
  • skeo
    Options
    Suzanne, thank you.:flowerforyou: