Popcorn confusion

Options
This is probably a simple and silly question, but... I'm trying to work out how to track popcorn. I have a popcorn machine that uses a kettle and oil. I'm confused as to whether you measure the quantity in unpopped kernals or popped kernals. Many of the measurements on the database are in cups, so I'm not sure.

To make it at home I usually use 1/3 cup raw kernals and 1 Tablespoon of oil. This is then shared out equally between my husband and myself. How would you track this?

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Measure un-popped by the tablespoon. I don't know what 1/3 a cup of kernels comes out to in tablespoons so you would have to add the kernels by tablespoon to your measuring cup until you hit 1/3 a cup now you will know from now on. It's usually 3 tablespoons per serving. Once you know exactly how many tablespoon of kernels you are using in that 1/3 cup split that number in half. Then add the one table spoon of oil and split that number in half. Now you should have your portion.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What do the nutrition facts on the popcorn use? Sometimes they'll provide serving sizes for both popped and unpopped.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What do the nutrition facts on the popcorn use? Sometimes they'll provide serving sizes for both popped and unpopped.

I did a search around, my bags didn't have it on them. I did find another brand that has the nutritional info for 25g of popped corn. I'll be using that one from now on. Thank you all for your help.

BTW the packet says 128 calories for 25g of popped corn without toppings; or 90 calories if you use an air popper instead of oil.
  • michael300891
    Options
    IF your goals are loss, then measure by unpopped...

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Michael300891 )