Got to goal weight...but have some queries...

Options

1) I hit goal weight in December, bounced up over Xmas, but haven't gotten back down yet. I'm cutting cals, still, and physically I'm smaller, but I weigh more. Is it just me or is this weird?

2) my belly button looks a bit squishy. Is this a more-toning-will-fix-it deal or is it just how it looks?

3) should I cut harder or increase exercise more to get down to the GW again? it doesn't seem to be working the same, but then I am having cheat days now and I never used to, maybe that's why

4) is it common to be at the stage I am now and have lost the fire to 'finish' once and for all?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    any insight appreciated :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    In terms of getting back to your goal weight, cutting harder is not recommended - it's better to decrease deficit and lose slower the closer you are to your goal. Cutting aggressively will just result in water loss and depleted glycogen stores, meaning that when you hit your goal and start eating more, water/glycogen stores replenish, resulting in scale weight gain.

Aside from this, it sounds like you'd like to decrease body fat, but not necessarily weight. There are two main options:

1. Eat at maintenance while strength training to 'recomp'. (slow process)
    2. Bulk/cut cycles while strength training until desired body composition achieved (faster results but requires a will to gain weight, albeit temporarily).
  • trudijoy
    Options
    In terms of getting back to your goal weight, cutting harder is not recommended - it's better to decrease deficit and lose slower the closer you are to your goal. Cutting aggressively will just result in water loss and depleted glycogen stores, meaning that when you hit your goal and start eating more, water/glycogen stores replenish, resulting in scale weight gain.

Aside from this, it sounds like you'd like to decrease body fat, but not necessarily weight. There are two main options:

1. Eat at maintenance while strength training to 'recomp'. (slow process)
    2. Bulk/cut cycles while strength training until desired body composition achieved (faster results but requires a will to gain weight, albeit temporarily).

thanks

I'm not really interested in weight training, I don't have time for it and don't enjoy it, so my strength/resistance comes from netball mostly, but I was thinking I might add swimming back in. I don't want 'muscles' I just wonder if the final results would look better a little more toned. I also have a bit of a spinal issue so lots of things with weights are not a good idea - I'm not even allowed to play netball anymore, just to train, umpire and coach.

I def want to get back to that goal weight but I'm also happy at my current weight/shape, it's just finetuning I guess? =I'm not really obsessing over it, just curious, and wondering if other people had the same issues.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    congrats on reaching your goal weight! swimming seems like the thing you need since you cannot lift weights, and a small deficit to get back to your goal
  • trudijoy
    Options
    congrats on reaching your goal weight! swimming seems like the thing you need since you cannot lift weights, and a small deficit to get back to your goal

thanks... I'm eating fewer cals now than I was when I lost all the weight... maybe that's stupid? I go over at the weekends, but stay under maintenance
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Stats are

GW 75 kg
    CW 78/9 kg

TDEE 2150
    BMR 1564

Currently targeting 1750, but closer to 2000 on the weekend and have a couple of days a week around 1400/1500

Light exercise (1-3 times a week) consisting usually of some walking/swimming, a netball training/coaching session and a netball umpiring session.

I'd love to hit the goal weight properly by easter
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should have a goal range not a single goal weight... you will never be the same weight every day, it fluctuates too much.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    you should have a goal range not a single goal weight... you will never be the same weight every day, it fluctuates too much.

agreed. goal range is 73 to 78. but I'd like to get to the middle of that and remain in that zone before I consider myself 'finished'
  • TavistockToad
    Options

agreed. goal range is 73 to 78. but I'd like to get to the middle of that and remain in that zone before I consider myself 'finished'

you have already said your current weight is 78, so what if tomorrow you are 75, and then the next day you are 78? when are you finished?!
  • trudijoy
    Options

you have already said your current weight is 78, so what if tomorrow you are 75, and then the next day you are 78? when are you finished?!

If I had fluctuated down to 75 I wouldn't be worrying about it. I'm 78/9 in the morning and 80/81 at night when I bother checking both. I know how my body worked over the 30 kg loss and it's not following those patterns any more. I'll be finished when I feel finished and for me that will be when I'm seeing the 75 more often than not.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

If I had fluctuated down to 75 I wouldn't be worrying about it. I'm 78/9 in the morning and 80/81 at night when I bother checking both. I know how my body worked over the 30 kg loss and it's not following those patterns any more. I'll be finished when I feel finished and for me that will be when I'm seeing the 75 more often than not.

why do you weigh yourself morning and night!?
  • trudijoy
    Options

why do you weigh yourself morning and night!?

I don't, as a rule. I did it over a week to see how much I was fluctuating over a day, out of interest.