Mental Toughness

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that my greatest challenges aren't physical but rather mental/emotional.

Yup. Yup.

Even in high school for cross country running I needed to start developing ways to get just a little bit more speed or distance out of myself. The one thing I did learn is it takes time with whatever technique you find works for you.

My number one mental trick is to set a short goal then play double or nothing with myself. I've found that over time I can tell myself to push for another minute, then challenge myself for another minute after. Or look up and tell myself to just run to the furthest hill, and find a double or nothing point even further. The idea of double of "nothing" gets me every time. For some reason telling myself I get to count nothing if I don't double up makes me want it more.

During the hardest parts of exertion for lifting or whatever I repeat phrases or words in my head. In tennis when I need to focus or play harder I'll keep saying "play your game, play your game" in my head. For lifting I keep saying "one more, on more...". That works well.

And I know a lot of people use anger or some type of aggressiveness to push themselves, I have too in some cases, but I am finding more often than not that makes me tighten up more, so I try to even out my emotional state and "just work".

All the best.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm pathetic... I always think of others happiness to push through... my multiple black belt gradings (couldn't stop since I didn't want to disappoint my martial arts instructor)... my one and only 50k race, had to finish since I didn't want to disappoint my husband. And now a half marathon that all my friends are planning to run with, I have to finish since I don't want to disappoint them :-(.... Training does help the pushing through process though. If you want some inspiration, read up on Meb Keflezighi and his recent NYC marathon finish.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I thought of you this morning when I came across this article...

http://www.milliondollarbabyfitness.com/blog/the-minds-role-in-training/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...effective strategies for increasing mental toughness during a workout

Progression over time, and giving myself short term objectives. As I'm improving my running my ability to go for longer distances builds. Then it's a question of telling myself that I'll keep going until "that lamp-post", "pass that runner", "until it's time to have a gel". I also remind myself of the last successes, or when I eased off; "stopped to tie laces 2 km ago which gave me 15 seconds of rest", "slowed down on that uphill" or even "wasn't that downhill quite relaxing".

There is also a proportion of measuring my successes on the move; "reached that lamp-post 10 seconds earlier than last week", "made it 100m further in that interval" etc

I also find that the beats per minute on my music helps a lot to keep me going.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I developed Mantras I would repeat to myself when it got tough in marathon training. Also, like a lot of people here said, playing mind tricks. I would break the race into little blocks of time in my head, like 5 more miles, etc. Good luck, you can do it!
  • webutmirrortheworld
    Options
    I have no advice, but I think your attitude is a great place to start! Congratulations!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stop sucking.

work harder.

This is what I believe.

Just got to pony up and perform. No one's going to do it for you.

Well, where i am at is that I don't suck. If I sucked, I pretty much wouldn't care if I got better. I would find something I didn't suck at. ;) In fact, I am showing promise. But, I know I can go along and be "good" to infinity or I can find a way to get better to take it to elite. I truly believe that there are techniques that we can use in almost any discipline to help us wit the mental part of the challenge. I do yoga a lot. I work with a hole customers a lot. I have learned in both of those situations that there are specific strategies I can use to change up the challenges in my mind and make them workable. So, I appreciate those who have given specific strategies.

I have never quit a CrossFit WOD. I have completed them all. I even competed them all on my own if I didn't finish in the kill clock time. But, I feel like I can push harder and get faster and that's where I really need to "EMBRACE THE SUCK!" :)
    I like the idea of "embracing the suck" though and the "fake it til you make it." True in most settings, athletic or not.

you absolutely 110% missed the point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    stop sucking.

work harder.

This is what I believe.

Well, where i am at is that I don't suck. If I sucked, I pretty much wouldn't care if I got better. I would find something I didn't suck at. ;) In fact, I am showing promise. But, I know I can go along and be "good" to infinity or I can find a way to get better to take it to elite. I truly believe that there are techniques that we can use in almost any discipline to help us wit the mental part of the challenge. I do yoga a lot. I work with a hole customers a lot. I have learned in both of those situations that there are specific strategies I can use to change up the challenges in my mind and make them workable. So, I appreciate those who have given specific strategies.

I have never quit a CrossFit WOD. I have completed them all. I even competed them all on my own if I didn't finish in the kill clock time. But, I feel like I can push harder and get faster and that's where I really need to "EMBRACE THE SUCK!" :)
    I like the idea of "embracing the suck" though and the "fake it til you make it." True in most settings, athletic or not.

Maybe, but IMO the point was a bad one. I don't start anything with the mindset of "I suck" or "I am sucking so I need to get better."

I start awesome and continue to be awesome through the culmination of the activity. I suppose sometimes I let up and suck, but it's rare that I actually think that. If that's what motivates you, that's great, but "stop sucking" is not something that's going to get me to keep pushing hard.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Embrace the suck.

During the training for my triathlon my efforts got me into some mentally dark places. There's a point where you're fully depleted, you're hurting, and you think you can't make it anymore, you might cry a little, and all you want to do is quit. You just embrace the suck. Realize that you can't move forward without pain, and that if you embrace it, make it a friend, you'll know when it's coming and use that as a training or competitive tool in the future.

It also helps for when true physical pain happens during a race. For me, I took a good kidney punch during the swim in my last tri. It hurt, a lot. I had gotten used to pain, so I kept going.

So I guess essentially:
    1. Realize that it's going to hurt at some point, and that hurt may be emotional.
    2. Be ready for it, and know that it isn't going to kill you or hurt you permanently.
    3. Embrace it and realize it's a part of what's going to happen whenever you push yourself so far beyond your comfort zone.
    4. Remind yourself that it's only fleeting, you'll get through it, and it's going to make your harder, stronger, more capable.

Then go drink it off.

yup
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would love some feedback from serious athletes who have developed effective strategies for increasing mental toughness during a workout. Specifically, I am thinking along the lines of strategies to push through a long or particularly challenging workout where continuing with significant discomfort is necessary. I've come to participate in serious fitness challenges later in life than most, having never played sports while growing up. I never had that football coach helping me visualize success. I need to be my own cheerleader.:smile:

So, for any of you endurance athletes, serious Crossfitters, etc.: What are some of your techniques? Visualization? Mantras? Pain processing methods?

Now that I'm starting to get serious about CrossFit and endurance swimming, I'm finding that my greatest challenges aren't physical but rather mental/emotional.

Thanks in advance.:flowerforyou:

You develop a vision of what you want to be or look like and just know that everything you do will effect your goal. This kind of applies to everything in life, in all honesty I put the mindset I put into working out into my career ... since I made that transition I've more then doubled my income (not kidding) bought a brand new car and am looking at buying a home by next year.

It's having a vision of what you want and being willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Sacrifice what you are today for what you could be tomorrow!
  • jamaraaron78
    Options
    I've been told to "get comfortable being uncomfortable" and I also think about the end results and the reason why I'm doing the WOD or running. I try to keep track of everything so that I always have something to beat.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    stop sucking.

work harder.

This is what I believe.

Maybe, but IMO the point was a bad one. I don't start anything with the mindset of "I suck" or "I am sucking so I need to get better."

I start awesome and continue to be awesome through the culmination of the activity. I suppose sometimes I let up and suck, but it's rare that I actually think that. If that's what motivates you, that's great, but "stop sucking" is not something that's going to get me to keep pushing hard.

A :flowerforyou: for Johnnythan.
  • JoRocka
    Options

maybe for you.

but there is no way I'm going to work hard if I walk in thinking I'm awesome. I'm already awesome- why am I going to work hard. I don't walk in saying "I suck" I walk in going- "you are a fat slob- like everyone else- now prove to me you aren't."

The first part of a work out is easy. But the mental toughness to step under the bar AGAIN after you are beat (or feeling beat) is where this comes in.

But after you step up again and get set and you have that feeling of just doing it- rather than pushing for all you have- that's about the time the "stop sucking you pansy a&& piece of *kitten* type commentary comes through my head. Usually also 'you fu*king piece of *kitten* pick up the god damn weight- no one will do it for you" You can be awesome when you are done- but you aren't awesome till you do this thing.

It's not a bad point- it's just not for everyone- but that works for me- and lots of other people.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, for me. That was the OP's question.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I had a moment last week when we had to do 150 burpees for time. By the time 100 are done, there is nothing but determination that's going to get you through it.

I just think back to a little over a year ago when I would have laughed at the thought of doing 150 burpees. For some reason, when I realize how far I've come, it inspires me to keep going...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbjfbwVzvW1rbavngo1_500.gif
  • PRMinx
    Options
    But after you step up again and get set and you have that feeling of just doing it- rather than pushing for all you have- that's about the time the "stop sucking you pansy a&& piece of *kitten* type commentary comes through my head. Usually also 'you fu*king piece of *kitten* pick up the god damn weight- no one will do it for you" You can be awesome when you are done- but you aren't awesome till you do this thing.

Wow. I would just never talk to myself like that. There are enough mean people in the world - I don't need to be mean to myself.

Thankfully, I can push myself in healthier ways.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Well, yes, for me. That was the OP's question.
    yes but you said it was a bad point.

it's not a bad point- it's just 'a' point.

I wasn't SPECIFICALLY telling her to stop sucking- that's the whole technique LOL I dn't know if she sucks or not. I have never seen her work out. I am pretty sure after the last post she wrote I have a good idea of where she is- and that explains a lot to me- but again- lots of people don't respond well to it. Shrug- iz okay. whatever works for you is what works.

it works for me- and it doesn't work for you but it doesn't make a not valid way to work out- thousands of people work out like that. A lot. it's not uncommon. :)
    Wow. I would just never talk to myself like that. There are enough mean people in the world - I don't need to be mean to myself.

Thankfully, I can push myself in healthier ways.

nothing unhealthy about it. It's pretty normal. And no I don't think I'm a piece of *kitten*. I think I'm fabulous and extremely awesome- but when I step to the gym- that means nothing- telling me I'm awesome gets me no where. it's self defeating. Harder stronger faster doesn't come from a place of being already good- it comes from a place of not being good enough.