Jump rope.. how true is this i wonder?

Options
I wonder how true is this "fact"... 2 jumps = 1 calorie burnt... 1000 = 500 calories burnt...? Really???

418937_480717168612994_1899999972_n.jpg
screen capture freeware

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I wonder how true is this "fact"... 2 jumps = 1 calorie burnt... 1000 = 500 calories burnt...? Really???

418937_480717168612994_1899999972_n.jpg
    screen capture freeware

Not sure about the "fact", but it's a great conditioning tool, and will make anyone that think its easy, very humble. Its one thing to do a couple of revolutions and stop, but to go minutes at a time, is a different story
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maybe for someone who is morbidly obese? There are too many variables to say a certain number of jumping jacks can burn a pound.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Basic maths fail in points 1-3

If, for the sake of argument, 2 jumping jacks did = 1 calorie then 1000 jumping jacks would equate to 500 calories, not 3,500

But, as suggested by point 4, if you did it every single day then, if you accept the flawed premise that 2 jumping jacks = 1 calorie, then yes it would result in losing a pound a week.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If, for the sake of argument, 2 jumping jacks did = 1 calorie then 1000 jumping jacks would equate to 500 calories, not 3,500

But, as suggested by point 4, if you did it every single day then, if you accept the flawed premise that 2 jumping jacks = 1 calorie, then yes it would result in losing a pound a week.

Bad math is bad.
    Can't out jumping jack a bad diet.

Control what you eat.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's really late, and I had to retake every math course I ever took, but that literally does not add up.
    Mathematically or logically.
    Jumping jacks are still fun though. Do them if that's what you like!

Wait, the title of your post says jump ROPE??..I'm even more confused.

If one did jump rope instead of equal no. of jumping jacks...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was wrong, the maths works out if you follow the ;logic' to the end, its just poorly worded. It's wrong with the 1000 jumps = 1lb but, they're saying do 1000 a day as 10 sets of 100... and that's a crapload of jumping jacks.... 500cal per day x 7 days = 3500 cal

I can think of better ways to burn 500 cal...
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just hate that it says thinspo on it. gives me chills! (welcome to the irrational world inside my head)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just hate that it says thinspo on it. gives me chills! (welcome to the irrational world inside my head)

Yeah, I hate the term 'thinspo'
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    for my weight 15min of jump rope is almost 300 calories i have to do the cardio machine for like 45 min to get that burn lol
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    In general, jumping gets your heart rate up, so if you can sustain it I am sure the calorie burn would be quite good, whether by jumping jacks or jumping rope.

However, you won't see me doing 1,000 jumping jakes a day.
  • Dewymorning
    Options

It is not irrational. People who will do 1,000 jumping jacks a day just to lose 1 pound are irrational.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do my weight workout, I do jump rope to get my heart rate up and some cardio in. I wear a heart rate monitor and for 11 minutes of jump rope (50 seconds work, 20 seconds rest) I burn 126 calories. Everyone is different but I dont think thats a "fact"
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Easy to mistake the font, but it is 7000 jumping jacks, not 1000.

Hmm.. maybe I'm wrong. The 10 sets of 100 means 1000. WTF does it say? HAHA.
  • mollbllm
    mollbllm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is very confusing
  • Dewymorning
    Options

Hmm.. maybe I'm wrong. The 10 sets of 100 means 1000. WTF does it say? HAHA.

No, you are right, 7000 jumping jakes is 10 sets of 100 each day of the week.
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Actually, I was wrong, the maths works out if you follow the ;logic' to the end, its just poorly worded. It's wrong with the 1000 jumps = 1lb but, they're saying do 1000 a day as 10 sets of 100... and that's a crapload of jumping jacks.... 500cal per day x 7 days = 3500 cal

This.

But just try doing 1,000 jumping jacks every day. I will be seriously imoressed with anyone can do that even one day, let alone a whole week. Jumping Jacks are easy if you only do a few, but they get tough *very* quickly. And they're super boring. Who wants to do 1,000 "anythings" in a day?
  • deadyankee
    Options

Yes, you are spot-on. Although the claim that you can lose weight by *only* doing 7000 of anything does now seem a little hyperbolic
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    In..for inevitable mini-tramp jokes...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You mean I can eat those dozen donuts and still lose weight now?