At home exercise videos

Options
When I was working out hardcore 5 years ago I was using cardio and strength training videos from the Biggest Loser. It helped me a lot. I no longer have these but was wanting to get something. For those that work out at home what have you had the most success with?

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I find I get bored with a routine really quickly, so to stop spending money on new and expensive workout DVDs I use Daily Burn. I tried it free for a month and then signed up. It's much cheaper than the gym and would recommend it to anyone with some previous experience (as there's no one there to watch your form). I don't know about 'success' in terms of weight loss etc, because I have motivation issues which I'm working on! I'm very all-or-nothing and I quit if I fall off the wagon... Anyway, if you haven't tried DB already, have a look!
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Insanity is awesome!

I finished Insanity the end of May. I lost 14 lbs and 20" overall. It is an awesome workout! I didn't follow the nutrition plan but I did eat extremely healthy the whole way through. I started about a month after having baby #5 and lost the baby weight very quickly and toned up nicely.

I am currently about half way through Insanity again and have lost 10lbs already!

If you have any questions, please ask.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find I get bored with a routine really quickly, so to stop spending money on new and expensive workout DVDs I use Daily Burn. I tried it free for a month and then signed up. It's much cheaper than the gym and would recommend it to anyone with some previous experience (as there's no one there to watch your form). I don't know about 'success' in terms of weight loss etc, because I have motivation issues which I'm working on! I'm very all-or-nothing and I quit if I fall off the wagon... Anyway, if you haven't tried DB already, have a look!

I too have recently signed up for Daily Burn. Just into my 2nd week. I'm doing the true beginner work out plan & some of those workouts seem pretty easy to me so I may take it up a notch and try one of the other workouts. But there seems to be a wide variety of what you can do. I recommend it and it's free for 30 days so you have nothing to lose. Just cancel before the 30 days if you don't want to continue.
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Fitness Blender - videos are free on Youtube and they have a great variety for all fitness levels. Mix and match more than one to create a longer workout. If you go on their website you can purchase their plan (no more than $10) which tells you which videos to do which days for 8 weeks if you want more structure - I've done this and the variety is great (I did the 4 week busy person workout and did not repeat one workout in the 4 week period). Good Luck on your journey.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I don't do videos but I workout from home. I do "Cross Fit" workouts in my garage (but you can do them in any room with some floor space). You can Google Cross Fit WOD (WOD = Workout of the Day) -- or if you are on Pinterest - you can find many samples there that are easy to save and choose from.

For example, on Monday I did:
    5 Rounds of 15 Burpees, 25 Pushups, 25 Sit Ups and 25 Dips (off a chair). It took about 19 minutes for me to complete it but it felt like a good workout and I am still sore from it! You can modify them to your level - you can do fewer rounds, fewer reps or modify the movements (for example, if you can't do a Burpee, do a plank instead of going all the way down). If you can't jump rope, then do jumping jacks. You may have to look up the exercises if you don't know what they are by name.

What I like about this is that there are literally hundreds of combinations of workouts to do (don't get bored) and they are pretty short (yet intense). You can choose the workouts that don't require equipment that you don't have at home. Like, I don't do the workouts that require a pull up bar or bar bells.

Invest in some hand weights and a mat if you can :)

Good luck!
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I second Fitness Blender! I like that the workouts are nice and simple (no expensive sets or music), and they've got a ton of videos of all levels, time limits and equipment.
  • bdwill83
    bdwill83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get bored with them too. I've done p90x, half of T25, and Les Mills Combat and started to dread them a month into it (hence why I've only done half of T25). I will look into daily burn and youtube as suggested.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jillian Michaels fan, specifically of Ripped in 30. Been doing that one for 10 months, now.

For more variety and to up the intensity of my work outs (annnnd maybe also because of SUPERHERO workouts) I also use this: http://neilarey.com/workouts.html

On the occasion that I encounter an exercise I'm not familiar with, I'll look up the proper form via youtube or some such. It's been doing me good so far.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im a bought many of beachbody workout programs. They work if you follow them, the come complete with diet as well. But they are not cheap, avg. cost is about $120. Im currently doing P90X3 and loving it, workout changes every day. In fact, I have no idea what Im doing tonight. But will bring 110%.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My favs are the ones you don't have any more the Biggest Loser DVDs. You can pick your own lever and it is a total body workout. For the price, you can't beat them.
  • toomanireasons
    Options
    You can find many via you tube, this way you can see if you really like them before spending money :)
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    Chris Powell Levels 1, 2 & 3 on Utube are great.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels videos and anything free on Youtube or Amazon Prime - I haven't looked on netflix to see if there is anything streaming though.

Sometimes I'll look at some "amateur" work out videos or do crazy lady cardio videos for fun. I use my HRM with those, they're a good quick burn but MAN those women have some serious cardio skills!
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    believe it or not, the insanity rocked. I started out at 160 lbs. Out of shape. Soft. By the end of the 60 days I had lost 15 lbs and several inches. NOW, there were a lot of the exercises I couldn't do, or could only kinda do... but i loved the way I felt at the end of each video. I was spent. I was exhausted. But I FELT like I had accomplished something. (And you can actually find them online if you don't want to buy them)
  • jimmason20
    jimmason20 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you can take the high impact then Insanity is a beast!!!!!!