Any other breastfeeding moms?

Options
I'm new! I need to lose 50 pounds but am still breastfeeding. The plan doesn't take into account the extra 500 calories per day I need for nursing. Any ideas?

Replies

• lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The deficit needed to lose one pound a week is 500 per day, so just select maintenance and eat within your calorie limit. That should work until you lose some weight, then you will have to lower the maintenance weight. Does this seem right?
  • Kristin_Walls
    Options
    I am in the same boat- two kids in two years, not easy on the body! I am still breatfeeding my 8 week old daughter, so wondering how many calories I should be consuming!
  • Lucindaq
    Options
    I put in my breastfeeding as exercise. I am 6foot and I eat 2300 cals a day which has helped me lose 2lbs a week for the past 16weeks.
  • srhines117
    srhines117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like that! Adding breastfeeding as exercise for 500 calories burned! Great Idea! I am a breastfeeding mom also and didn't know how exactly to do that. Thank you!
  • socalledauthor
    socalledauthor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In the food database, there is "Breastfeeding Mom" that adds a -500 calories to your food diary for the day. This is another option, too.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    The deficit needed to lose one pound a week is 500 per day, so just select maintenance and eat within your calorie limit. That should work until you lose some weight, then you will have to lower the maintenance weight. Does this seem right?

Hmm... never thought of this -- guess that is the easy way to do it! :) As long as you truly have a 500 calorie/day deficit... some with less to lose may not have that much of a deficit.

Also, be sure to get in some extra dairy and fruit/veggies with those extra calories!
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great idea to do it as exercise! Thank you so much! I like the breastfeeding mom option also.