How to overcome shin splints?

Options
I have always been a runner and usually enjoy it, except in the winter because I'm stuck on the dredded tredmill! Well we have a cheap tredmil so it's not super easy on the legs like some of the newer ones they've made. I have bought speacial shoes,specials inserts,a wrap to wrap around my legs to support my shins but nothing has helped. I usually have to wait 2-3 weeks before the pain goes away and can't run more then 20 mins 3 days a week. I really would like to do 30 mins 5 days a week, but know I'm going to be in a lot of pain. What can I do?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I watched a vid on YouTube a while ago - something related to supple leopard. The guy was using a small ball to massage the muscle at the side of the shin.

This really works, I have been using a tumble dryer ball. You just kneel,down and run the ball along the muscle with quite a bit of pressure. There was good reasoning for it but I can't remember the name (along the lines of foam rolling MOD).
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Stretch well before and after (especially after) your run. I got them when I was starting out running (outside) and stretching after my run made a huge difference.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    For now, slow down, don't run as frequently and do walk/run intervals until you can buildup to more time on your feet. Don't plan on running 5 days a week until you have a solid base of running for a couple of years. Your shin pain can be the result of a few things: too much too soon, heel striking, and imbalance between the shins and calves. Work on increasing your cadence which should get your foot landing more underneath your hips and not in front. If your foot is landing too far in front the shins must do a lot more work to decelerate the foot. Run barefoot slowly on the treadmill to get a feel for it. Lean forward from your ankles.

Work on strengthening your lower legs too. Walk on your heels as long as you can to work the shins (try with toes straight, toes inward, and toes outward). Calf raises on a step will help as well. And some one-leg balancing wouldn't hurt either.