1,700 Calories and hungry?!

Options
13»

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Do a couple of hard core cardio sessions a week so that you can eat more. I am on 1750 a day, to lose half a pound a week, but most of my deficit for the week comes from exercise. 2 lifting sessions, 2 martial arts classes, and a run/random. The lifting actually makes me hungrier, but the martial arts and other all out cardio make me less hungry on that day usually so I have a big deficit which I use later in the week. YMMV. Some people get hungry for more extra cals than they burned so they feel less satisfied, but I find that it curbs my appetite to an extent.

Weekly averages are what's important. I end up doing mini cycles where the beginning of the week I eat quite a bit under especially on my MA day, then Fri-Sun I eat at or above maintenance. Because these days give me more freedom, let me eat the higher cal things that I like (such as pizza), and let me get completely full for a couple days, I feel that it's easier to stick to.

ETA: I also think that you should eat more, but didn't want to beat a dead horse. Even 100 cals may make a big difference to how you feel and how muscle mass is maintained without making a big difference to your weight loss.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I go to 1700 or below when I am cutting while being extremely active.

You will hear a good deal about how eating clean vs eating dirty | meal timing doesn't matter and for the most part it is true BUT when you start slashing your calories like this it really does. Plenty of water, plenty of greens, plenty of protein, don't skip out on carbs but don't go crazy. Fat is normally good but if I let it go above my macros it cause me to get hungry. Smaller, spaced out meals. Just a few things that help me but you have to find the right tricks that work for you.

Oh, and don't pay attention to the "sustainable" crowd. Why would you ever want to sustain 2 lbs of weight loss for extended periods of time. You do it to cut down then ease back up. No one can "sustain" a caloric deficit like everyone preaches they should or else they would eventually die.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of excellent advice here. You need to eat more. MFP is designed so you eat for your goals. It gives you a calorie allowance at a reasonable deficit and then you eat your exercise calories back. Maybe try that for a few weeks.

Here's a question for you. Do you want to look good for one summer or be healthy for a lifetime?

Weight loss is not a sprint, it's a marathon and about building lifelong habits. Personally I want to add years to my life, do I want to look good this summer, yes, will it kill me if I don't, no. Will a lifetime of poor eating habits catch up to you? Absolutely.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ignored MFP advice of eating 1200 cals per day.

I am tall, and run a lot. 1200 cals per day is nowhere near enough for me.

So, I upped it to 1700 - and eat SOME of my exercise cals back.

My weight loss is slow, but logging my food and exercise keeps me on track.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Im on 1700 and I am not hungry but I get sugar cravings in the evenings. 1700 is plenty if spread out properly and with the right macros.

But I plan to keep bumping it up fortnightly till I get to 2100-2200 (my TDEE is 2450 when active, 2100 when not) and stick there for a good 6 months to help ease my body into maintenance.

If you are hungry just up it a little and you'll still lose just not as fast. This ain't a race, only reason I am at this is because I am comfortable with this, not a huge eater, and I was previously even lower so 1700 is okay for the moment.

One word: strategize. If you are on 1700 figure out what that will mean for you over the coming months and years. You need to keep the pounds off and maintain all the good work. This has to all be part of a long term plan.

Use this simulator, it takes into consideration body changes as you go through caloric deficit (TDEE is not an exact science - bodies are different):

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/research-funding/at-niddk/labs-branches/LBM/integrative-physiology-section/body-weight-simulator/Pages/body-weight-simulator.aspx

1700 is plenty if you're a woman.

Haha only thing is I am a 26 year old man who is very active :)

Unless you meant OP? He too is a man, 22.

I'm eating at 2500. Maybe try putting on some muscles so that you can eat like a man?

Haha is that your attempt at trash talking? What are you, 13?