Playing instrument as an exercise? Anyone?

Options
I spend most of my spare time playing guitar or bass, I count them my daily exercise. I know that probably would just make me feel better but not really helpful with my actual weight loss.

But the counter says that if im standing while playing, i could burn 175cal per 60min? I couldn't belive it's that much. You know once I start to play I could play for hours.

I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same situation...

Replies

• themorethebetter
    Options
    I know right. For piano playing it gives me as many calories burned as cleaning the house. Therefore I only log half the time I play.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would not count it
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No.

It's part of your daily activity.
    Don't count it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless you're in a marching band, I wouldn't count that. Or at least I wouldn't eat those calories.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Unless you are playing the drums like the gorilla from the Cadbury's advert....no
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that I would normally do. So cleaning would never get logged as exercise for me. Playing an instrument is what you normally do, so I would say no, but you know what, who am I to tell you what you can and can not do. You don't need to workout to lose weight, many lose on diet alone.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise. It's not enough activity to get your heart rate up and it's an activity that you normally do anyway. Same for cleaning the house - that's not exercise
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you set up your profile as sedentary ie you don't do anything during the daytime, then add it. If you set up your profile as active, then don't include it.

I don't count my weekly shopping trip walking up and down the supermarket aisle. I don't include driving 30 miles to a charity I volunteer for. I don't include the number of times I walk up and down the stairs to get food. :-D
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you're sedentary, you should count it, but likely not the 175 calories per hour. That likely includes your BMR in it. So, I'd estimate your BMR and subtract that number (for me, my BMR is about 65 calories per hour). If you're set to lightly active or above, I wouldn't count it.
  • other678
    other678 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for lovely advice, and yes i set up my profile as sedentary.

It seems like that I need to do some more real workout ;-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for lovely advice, and yes i set up my profile as sedentary.

It seems like that I need to do some more real workout ;-)

Well, yes, I likely wouldn't think of it as exercise (unless of course you're doing a very active stage show!) but it is activity that can be accounted for. If it's really something you do every day, I would probably up your setting to lightly active to account for it.