Does coffee help or hinder your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If it helps your attitude and gets you to work out go ahead and drink it! :)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Some evidence to suggest it improves fat metabolism.

Nothing really concrete yet.

My opinion: It will help or it will do nothing.

I have read studies on this too. Like you said ... not proven yet. But I have black coffee almost every morning and I dont feel a difference either way.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It helps me because it helps me poop. lol

Sorry to be gross/TMI. But I just have 1 cup every morning with a packet of sweetener and splash of milk or almond milk...and usually I go to the bathroom within like 15 minutes. Maybe it's partly concidence because that is just my morning routine but I really feel like it's related and have heard others say something similar.

Seems to have that effect on me as well, which I appreciate. Plus I am just not very pleasant to be around in the morning before my coffee.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you're putting sugar or sweetener in it, it might be messing you up a bit. But the most black coffee will do is to very slightly increase your metabolism for a short time.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Helped me control a terrible sweet tooth I have.
    I have it simple with just half & half and splenda or equal, a couple cups a day most days. Love it!!!

21525558.png
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Definitely helps me! I drink decaf and find that it's my 'comfort food' that stops me from snacking between meals. I used to have to eat half a packet of biscuits with it but that urge is no longer there (most of the time).
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Helps me, a lot. I've always had it black and it acts sort of like a comfort food (in this case drink) for me. And cappuccino doubly so (again, no sugar or flavors - no need to mess up the excellent coffee). And espresso - a treat.

You can tell I'm a coffee person :happy: I have a couple a day may be, but drink them with gusto.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it every day (tea I do though!), but it doesn't seem to do anything for me either way - it does suppress my appetite, like some others have mentioned here.

OP, I'm just curious - is it raising or lowering your blood sugar? I didn't know it could affect it, but Mayo Clinic had this on their website:
    Caffeine impairs insulin action, but doesn't necessarily affect blood sugar (glucose) levels in young, healthy adults. However, if you have type 2 diabetes, the impact of caffeine on insulin action may be associated with a small, but detectable rise in blood sugar levels, particularly after meals. About 250 milligrams of caffeine — or the equivalent of 2 to 2 1/2 cups (473 to 591 milliliters) of plain, brewed coffee — a day may cause this effect.

If you have type 2 diabetes and you're struggling to control your blood sugar levels, limiting the amount of caffeine in your diet may provide a benefit.

Looks like it could be the caffeine - have you tried doing decaf?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, so it has, from what I can tell, a neutral effect on my weight loss.
  • kinacalla
    kinacalla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your input.

I found an interesting article (https://www.precisionnutrition.com/research-review-coffee-hunger) that states:
    "People metabolize coffee at different — and genetically determined — rates. And coffee affects many neurotransmitters and hormones (such as cortisol and insulin).
    Coffee’s mixed effects also depend on the type of coffee, the amount you drink, when you drink it, your overall biological makeup, and so on."

I should have mentioned that I drink my coffee black. But it still has the same affect on me as if I ate a sugary donut first thing in the morning. I love it though, but may need to switch to decaf to help control my hunger.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The weather has been hindering my weight loss lately, coffee not so much.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it lowers my blood sugar as well. if i drink it black. if i have a cup of almond milk in it, then it doesnt do it so much. i try to make sure and have protein and a carb for breakfast. otherwise my blood sugar tanks and i get dizzy etc.

i am hypoglycemic. not the real bad kind, but the pre type 2 diabetes kind. i also get pregnancy diabetes. i have to eat carbs every 2 hours or i get low blood sugar. i try to stick to things like potatoes or bread. if i start eating the candy and sweets then my sugar swings get worse.

i think it is bc the caffeine makes your heart beat faster so you want to do things. so your body responds my increasing insulin which sucks out your sugar. im not a doctor. im just guessing. just thought you would want to know that you arent alone and it affects me as well.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 cups every morning with skim milk and stevia - so far it hasn't really affected my weight loss that I can tell. But it does help me get through the morning! I find I don't drink it as much when I don't have to be in the office.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups every morning of the Dark Roast, extra strong coffee and I have still managed to lose weight. I use Truvia as the sweetener and 1/8 cup of whole milk per cup. The total is only 37 calories.

I have given up sodas and other forms of caffeine for the most part, although here lately I have had a couple but I just can't give up my coffee. I have been drinking it since I was TWO years old so I guess you could say I am addicted!
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects weight loss for me so much, but definitely affects whether or not things get thrown across the office in the morning =)

If anything I think it would keep your metabolism going, and could be good as long as it isn't full of sugar and cream.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't think coffee has any effect whatsoever on my mood or alertness, but I do think it works as an appetite suppressant.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It helps me because it helps me poop. lol

Sorry to be gross/TMI. But I just have 1 cup every morning with a packet of sweetener and splash of milk or almond milk...and usually I go to the bathroom within like 15 minutes. Maybe it's partly concidence because that is just my morning routine but I really feel like it's related and have heard others say something similar.

Hahaha! LOVE AND SECOND THIS!!!!

When i gave up coffee for tea, my schedule was all out of wack. This played a huge part in my switching back to coffee. It's nice to know my number 2s will arrive at 8:15 every morning. Expecially when its a community bathroom, and I don't like to go on scheduled break since I'm poo shy.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Coffee itself neither helps or hinders. There's nothing magic to it, it just tastes really good.

This is also my experience.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Having coffee doesn't really help or hinder me. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's the creamer you have to watch out for. Coffee itself has almost no calories.