I don't understand what's wrong....

Options
Ok, so I just started my weight loss journey exactly 1 month ago. I'm a 31 year old male, 355lbs. When I got married 4 years ago I was at around 200. I'm 5'11.

So as of last month, I cut my calories down to around 1300 a day and started working out 5 days a week. I run a mile on the Eleptical and then I do the 30min biggest loser circuit that they have set up at planet fitness. I drink a protein shake after every work out.

Like I said, I've been doing this for a month. I have lost no weight, and no inches. I'm so bummed. I don't understand how I can make such a huge change and get NO results at all!!! Before I was eating over 5000 calories a day and just sitting at a desk all day!!!

If anyone can give me some insight into what is going on or what I should do, I would really appreciate it!!

I'm not going to quit, I just wish I could understand...

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may have shocked your system too much. At 5'11" I would say you definitely need to eat more than 1300. If you just started exercise your muscles retain water for a while until they are accustom to the new workout. Drink lots of water and be patient. You can do this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's my gut reaction too. That's WAY TOO LITTLE food. Seriously. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, pick a 20-25% deficit, and eat that.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1300 might be too low. I am also 5'11, female, age 28. I eat at least 1800 calories every day and have found that lets me successfully lose some weight without too much exercise as long as I am consistent and keep my protein quite high.
    As Lizzy622 says, you can do this! It just takes some figuring out at first, don't give up :)
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You gained 155 lbs in 4 years. I would tell you to consult a doctor first, even if the calories are too low for long term weight loss, you should have had some initial loss. Make sure you don't have a metabolic or thyroid disorder that could interfere with your goals if untreated. If you've been given a clean bill of health, then raise those calories a bit.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. It sounds kind of backwards, I know, but it is true. Good luck to you!
  • Man, I didn't t think there was a thing as cutting calories TOO much. Haha. Ok, i will try and raise that a bit. My mind just thinks that raising my calories is only going to cause me to go backwards. I'm so tired of how I look and feel. I want this change so bad I just thought going as low on my calories as possible would be best. Then I've read dozens of stories where guys cut calories down to around 1300 and they lost 150 lbs in a year without working out!

I guess it's just hard doing this alone and not really knowing what's right or wrong.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Dude, seriously:

Accurately measure your food.

Eat more. Like, you can easily lose weight on 2000 cals with your stats.

Get enough protein: something like 160-200g per day.

Get plenty of hydration and avoid high-sodium foods.

Give it 2 weeks, then re-measure.
  • I did see a doctor thinking it my be a thyroid problem, but after blood work, he said I was all good. So maybe it is just that I'm not eating enough. I will def give that a try. It does seem backwards, but at this point I'm willing to give it a shot.

I appreciate all of you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Man, I didn't t think there was a thing as cutting calories TOO much. Haha. Ok, i will try and raise that a bit. My mind just thinks that raising my calories is only going to cause me to go backwards. I'm so tired of how I look and feel. I want this change so bad I just thought going as low on my calories as possible would be best. Then I've read dozens of stories where guys cut calories down to around 1300 and they lost 150 lbs in a year without working out!

I guess it's just hard doing this alone and not really knowing what's right or wrong.

how can you go backwards?! you're not losing weight as it is! no one has said to eat 5000 cals again... but 1300 is way too little!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    grrr, double post!
  • That's a good way to look at it! Haha, ok, I'll try and raise my calories to around 2000 a day and see what happens there.

I've also got in the bad habit of weighing everyday... I read that that is def not the way to go. So as of today I'm going to TRY and only weigh once a week.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to change your lifestyle! Hang in there, you will see results.

Are you logging everything, and using a food scale? Are you eating back your exercise calories, and if so, how are you estimating the burn?

If the last 4 years were consistent in your weight gain, you were eating at a 375 calorie per day surplus (3500 cal/pound, 155 pound weight gain, 4 years of time). Another way to look at your target would be to create a deficit from your previous net calories by 1,000 to 1,500, which would result in a 1.5 to 2 pound loss per week.

It might help if you opened your diary for us to take a look and make suggestions. I would suggest that you are likely overestimating your burn or underestimating your intake.

Hang in there, make adjustments to your eating and exercise to make sure you have a deficit. Be honest and accountable - which can only be done if you are weighing and measuring your food. Make sure you don't forget to include soda, fruit drinks, fruit, veggies. Many have a surprising number of calories and depending on quantity, can add up.

MFP calories for exercise are overstated, based on my personal experience as well as reported by many MFP users. Depends on the person, but it seems like many people discount them by 30% - 50%.
  • ahdiab93
    Options
    Dude, seriously:

Yes to all of this. But WHY eat more? Here's why: when you make a drastic change like that too quickly, your body will essentially go into starvation mode, and hold on to all of the calories that it's been taking in. much better to slowly decrease your calorie count. at 5' 11", 2000 calories to start off is a good number. once you've lost 10% of your body weight, decrease your intake. slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just started my weight loss journey exactly 1 month ago. I'm a 31 year old male, 355lbs. When I got married 4 years ago I was at around 200. I'm 5'11.

So as of last month, I cut my calories down to around 1300 a day and started working out 5 days a week. I run a mile on the Eleptical and then I do the 30min biggest loser circuit that they have set up at planet fitness. I drink a protein shake after every work out.

Like I said, I've been doing this for a month. I have lost no weight, and no inches. I'm so bummed. I don't understand how I can make such a huge change and get NO results at all!!! Before I was eating over 5000 calories a day and just sitting at a desk all day!!!

If anyone can give me some insight into what is going on or what I should do, I would really appreciate it!!

I'm not going to quit, I just wish I could understand...

Are you using a food scale to weigh all of your food so you know your calorie counts are accurate?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Dude, seriously:

^^ This --- Especially the "accurately measure".. like, with a scale. I can't imagine a man of your size going that long on 1300 calories and not losing anything. It's all too easy to under estimate what you are eating. 1300 is way too low for you, but it should have resulted in a loss.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    It's my gut reaction too. That's WAY TOO LITTLE food. Seriously. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, pick a 20-25% deficit, and eat that.

Can't agree enough. Eating 1300 calories per day is not enough and you will probably give up (like most of us who start out typically do) since it is just not enough to even sustain life. Use the calculator. Eating more to lose does work! It may not be as fast as you want it, but you didn't gain all this weight over night either. Good luck to you! Don't give up!!
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just want to jump in and say I am really glad you're not coming at this problem pissed off and making excuses. You have a positive outlook, a determined voice, and it means a lot that you end your post by saying this will not make you quit. With those qualities on your side you will be successful.
    I agree with everyone, 1300 cals is a little low LOL. I am a 5'6 female, 127 lbs and I eat 1360 cals a day. And I'm losing weight. Add 500 cals a day…keep working out. You're going to get there!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Did you fill out the MFP profile? That should give you an accurate assessment for how many calories you should eat for your height and size. 1300 is low. I am a woman and I eat 1200 calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're counting calories correctly -- weighing and measuring your food rather than eyeballing it?

And 1,300 calories for you is so not enough.
  • I haven't been using a food scale. I've relied pretty much entirely on the MFP app. I put in everything though. I cut out all soda and fruit drinks. I'm only drinking water or unsweet tea. I drink milk with my protein shake.