Question about weight loss and this site

Options
Last month is the month I started using myfitnesspal correctly, meaning I actually logged in EVERY day lol. and doing that I started figuring out which foods cost more calories etc. I started using it right January 5th of last year, then weighed myself 3 weeks later. I lost 8 POUNDS!!

I'm just curious how that even happened. I was set at just lost 1lb a week option. now i'm doing it now like then. I weighed myself 3 weeks later earlier this month, today and I lost the realistic, how much I was supposed to lose, which was 3 lbs. that's good because that's how its supposed to be lol. anyone know how last month actually happened?

Ive been working hard at the gym, maybe even harder than before since I can do more bodyweight excersizes than ever before. actually, I haven't been going as much but that's because of work mostly, and the horrible weather has made it impossible for me to get good time to go run.

also, I feel great! its funny im disappointed I didn't lose a random 8 lbs, but I don't want to end up messed up lol

Replies

• omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. Maybe you had a bigger calorie burn last year and maybe your input on your food diary was not as accurate? In any case, 8 lbs is fantastic but don't be discouraged with your 3 lbs either. You're on the right track for a healhty sustainable weight loss. That's what's important. Try not to obsess with the scale too much because since you are also working out, you're building muscle and it takes a bit for the scale to take notice of the differences. Sorry I'm not much help to your original question ;-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Most people lose quite a bit at first but then it slows down.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    It's hard to say. Maybe you had a bigger calorie burn last year and maybe your input on your food diary was not as accurate? In any case, 8 lbs is fantastic but don't be discouraged with your 3 lbs either. You're on the right track for a healhty sustainable weight loss. That's what's important. Try not to obsess with the scale too much because since you are also working out, you're building muscle and it takes a bit for the scale to take notice of the differences. Sorry I'm not much help to your original question ;-)
    thanks, your good I guess it would make sense but i'm not really trying to "gain" by you know, lifting bigger weights i'm just kind of doing things differently. like pull ups push ups, sometimes weights but I definitely dont' want to be anorexic.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Yeah, I lost 4 lbs. per week the first two weeks. Evens out after that. But it gives you a nice mental boost to see that number change when you start trying to do things better.
  • goku89
    Options

Yeah, I lost 4 lbs. per week the first two weeks. Evens out after that. But it gives you a nice mental boost to see that number change when you start trying to do things better.
    yeah no kidding. still, its pretty great not complaining. I just didn't know what was going on. and also why it didn't happen last year with my intense workouts, but sporadic food diary input.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    water weight...also, if you're not eating back exercise calories like you're supposed to then you are creating a bigger deficit...this can be ok if you have a lot to lose, but could be a bad thing if you are relatively lean depending on your existing dietary deficit.
  • goku89
    Options
    water weight...also, if you're not eating back exercise calories like you're supposed to then you are creating a bigger deficit...this can be ok if you have a lot to lose, but could be a bad thing if you are relatively lean depending on your existing dietary deficit.
    this has been a thing for me, I've TRIED to eat back excersize calories but somsetimes I can't im just not that hungry lol especially after running for like 5 miles. and also it seems counter productive a little bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    this has been a thing for me, I've TRIED to eat back excersize calories but somsetimes I can't im just not that hungry lol especially after running for like 5 miles. and also it seems counter productive a little bit.

It's not counterproductive in the least...the benefits of exercise go far beyond just burning calories. It's just math...your MFP calorie goal is already a deficit from your NON EXERCISE maintenance...your activity level should not include exercise, just your day to day stuff...here's what the very simple math looks like using my numbers.

To maintain my weight with NO deliberate exercise I need roughly 2,350 calories...so to lose 1 Lb per week, MFP gives me a goal of 1,850 calories (a 500 calorie deficit). At that level of intake I will lose roughly 1 Lb per week with absolutely no deliberate exercise.

Now, I realize that exercise is very good for me and is absolutely essential to my overall health and well being...so I go and burn lets say 400 calories per day in exercise. I log that EXTRA activity that hasn't been included in my activity level and MFP gives me a new calorie goal of 1850 + 400 = 2,250 calories. I still have a 500 calorie deficit though because my NON EXERCISE maintenance calories have now increased by those same 400 calories...so my new maintenance number would now be 2,750 calories (2350 + 400 = 2,750) and 2,750 - 2,250 = 500 calorie deficit still.

so....how exactly is that defeating the purpose if you have exactly the same calorie deficit that you started with? Also, you trust MFP to give you these calorie goals and whatnot...but then suddenly you think it's trying to trick you into eating more when you work out? Have you ever read the stickies you're supposed to read when you sign up for this site? They're basically the users manual for this tool.

The whole point of that is to learn to use your diet for weight control and exercise for the pure sake of fitness. Also, you have to be careful not to overestimate burn...most people do and they think they have 1000 calories to eat back or whatever when in reality it's about 300 - 500 tops....which is a couple handfuls of nuts and pretty darned easy to accomplish.
  • goku89
    Options

It's not counterproductive in the least...the benefits of exercise go far beyond just burning calories. It's just math...your MFP calorie goal is already a deficit from your NON EXERCISE maintenance...your activity level should not include exercise, just your day to day stuff...here's what the very simple math looks like using my numbers.

To maintain my weight with NO deliberate exercise I need roughly 2,350 calories...so to lose 1 Lb per week, MFP gives me a goal of 1,850 calories (a 500 calorie deficit). At that level of intake I will lose roughly 1 Lb per week with absolutely no deliberate exercise.

Now, I realize that exercise is very good for me and is absolutely essential to my overall health and well being...so I go and burn lets say 400 calories per day in exercise. I log that EXTRA activity that hasn't been included in my activity level and MFP gives me a new calorie goal of 1850 + 400 = 2,250 calories. I still have a 500 calorie deficit though because my NON EXERCISE maintenance calories have now increased by those same 400 calories...so my new maintenance number would now be 2,750 calories (2350 + 400 = 2,750) and 2,750 - 2,250 = 500 calorie deficit still.

so....how exactly is that defeating the purpose if you have exactly the same calorie deficit that you started with? Also, you trust MFP to give you these calorie goals and whatnot...but then suddenly you think it's trying to trick you into eating more when you work out? Have you ever read the stickies you're supposed to read when you sign up for this site? They're basically the users manual for this tool.

The whole point of that is to learn to use your diet for weight control and exercise for the pure sake of fitness. Also, you have to be careful not to overestimate burn...most people do and they think they have 1000 calories to eat back or whatever when in reality it's about 300 - 500 tops....which is a couple handfuls of nuts and pretty darned easy to accomplish.
    alright well I guess its not defeating the purpose then. and I understood the math already, so next time I have 1000 calories left from excersize, I guess i'll just shove 4 or 5 of cupcakes in my mouth until I reach my goal, even if i'm extremely full. just kidding.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Last month is the month I started using myfitnesspal correctly, meaning I actually logged in EVERY day lol. and doing that I started figuring out which foods cost more calories etc. I started using it right January 5th of last year, then weighed myself 3 weeks later. I lost 8 POUNDS!!

I'm just curious how that even happened. I was set at just lost 1lb a week option. now i'm doing it now like then. I weighed myself 3 weeks later earlier this month, today and I lost the realistic, how much I was supposed to lose, which was 3 lbs. that's good because that's how its supposed to be lol. anyone know how last month actually happened?

Ive been working hard at the gym, maybe even harder than before since I can do more bodyweight excersizes than ever before. actually, I haven't been going as much but that's because of work mostly, and the horrible weather has made it impossible for me to get good time to go run.

also, I feel great! its funny im disappointed I didn't lose a random 8 lbs, but I don't want to end up messed up lol

Calories out is not necessarily a known thing. Adjusting your food intake and your exercise can up regulate or down regulate your metabolism. Therefore, it is possible to burn more than you thought.