Sugar?

Options
I have an extremely sweet tooth and I am trying to reduce my sugar intake. Just wondering if I should be concerned if I am over my sugar allowance but it is all from fruit. There seems to be more sugar in the fruit, take today for example I listed an Empire Apple (16) but a Rich Tea is only (3) but if I even had 3 pieces of fruit it is going to be over my sugar allowance. Any advice? Thanks

Replies

• michael300891
    Options
    Fruits better than chocolate or similar alternatives you would turn to.

However, its still a lot of sugar.

Make sure whatever you take from fruit fits your macros/goals and monitor progress.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Michael300891 )
  • teddyedward04
    teddyedward04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I will try to cut back on the sugar intake and see if it speeds up my weight loss.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't bother cutting back on fruit unless it puts you over your calories! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And MFP calculates on added sugar anyway (I think), not sugar in general.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I will try to cut back on the sugar intake and see if it speeds up my weight loss.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that it will have any direct impact. A calorie deficit will create weight loss, and to that extent, it really doesn't matter where those calories come from. But some people say that cutting down on added sugar helps them meet their calorie goal. Something like a soda can have a lot of calories but almost no nutritional value. Just switching that to diet soda will cut calories out of your diet. To the extent that you eat fewer calories, it will help.

For me, fruit is a whole different thing. Sure, it's sugar, but it comes in a package that has all kinds of good stuff for your body. But so does dark chocolate. I have a tiny bit of dark chocolate every day.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Don't bother cutting back on fruit unless it puts you over your calories! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And MFP calculates on added sugar anyway (I think), not sugar in general.

QFT, straight up.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hide your sugar column! Seriously. It's just a carb, and you are already tracking carbs, right?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar to the body despite where it comes from. Sugar is a carb. If you are tracking carbs, you are already tracking sugar. Disregard MFPs ridiculously low "allowance" and move on.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    LOL I hid my sugar macros.

That said, I did cut back. Except today I let my sweet tooth go a little and the cravings threatened to snowball. Sugar is dangerous like that for me, can't speak for others.

Cut back what you can and try to limit it to small treats.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options

This link/article is informative on the role of sugar in the body and the types of foods that are in fact better than others based on their glycemic index.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/
  • teddyedward04
    teddyedward04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful link on the subject as well, OP.
    http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/ 

Sugar is a carb. I think it's important you're balancing it with a proper intake of proteins and fats but like with all things, in moderation, it's fine. I don't even track sugar, I track fiber in its place on the simple idea that I already track carbs. :)