Resting between sets

Options
I like to do body resistance workouts but also do free weights. I typically do my sets in quick succession while working on different muscle groups. I want to maintain my strength for a longer period of time, but also maximize my time. I just had a discussion with someone and they said, "No, no, no. You need to rest between sets so your muscles recover to make each round effective. You're just tiring yourself out with no added benefit". This person looks very fit so he's doing something right. In addition to resistance training, I also run about 4-5 days a week.

I searched around online and got conflicting answers; articles explaining both have merits.

So what are your thoughts? I want to increase stamina; not power.

Replies

• Matt_C_195
    Matt_C_195 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Interesting you brought this up, was just studying over the different techniques for endurance vs strength vs growth.

In general for endurance - three sets of 12-16 reps for each exercise with rest of 1-2 minutes between sets.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can "circuit" non-competing exercises just fine.

Check out the Strongest Will Survive by Bill Starr. He was a fan.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks Matt! So you know I've been doing the P90X3 program, but I've been incorporating more resistance exercises since I think it's too short so I add in more afterwards to burn out my muscles. After 20 minutes, I'm more winded than after a run. Is there evidence that says this is not beneficial? Adding 1-2 minutes between seems like a long rest.
  • urban_ninja
    Options

Wish there was a kindle version. Looks like an interesting read.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends largely on what exactly you are trying to accomplish....
  • jimmmer
    Options

The guy's a ledge.

There's a fair few of his articles online (I think the Starting Strength site has an archive of links to most of them - or at least it used to). Whether any of them address the circuiting of heavy compounds, is another matter....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

This^^

In my opinion, the more you focus on pure strength and lift very heavy & low reps, the more rest you need.
  • urban_ninja
    Options

"I want to increase stamina; not power"
  • Matt_C_195
    Options
    No, sounds like a great idea! I've been adding some T25 cardio on some of our weight days, just because I want a little extra punishment every once in awhile :P
    And I agree with Jimmmer, if you're going to do them in circuit you can avoid the 1-2 minute rest time. You'll remain fatigued through the circuit, but will have still rested each muscle group before working it again.
  • urban_ninja
    Options

The guy's a ledge.

There's a fair few of his articles online (I think the Starting Strength site has an archive of links to most of them - or at least it used to). Whether any of them address the circuiting of heavy compounds, is another matter....

Thank you! I will search for them :)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert, but I've read a lot. From what I've read, you do need to rest between sets...but you can rest your biceps while you are working your hamstrings, or whatever...that way you don't have to stay in the gym forever.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I'm limited on time for my weight workouts, so I tend to do other exercises during my rest. Like, in between squats I'll do pull-ups, or push-ups, or planks, or leg exercise that works the muscles differently. I am lifting heavy, but not super heavy, if that makes sense, ie, not lifting to failure, but lifting weight heavy enough I'd struggle to do more than 8 reps. Weight has been progressive as well.

I'm interested in building muscle, but moreso in building a lean body. I've only been lifting since September, but my butt and legs (my main focus) have already seen major improvements.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Circuiting weighted exercises is an excellent way to condition the body, IMHO.

My favourite tool for this is the barbell complex. Double KB complex work is also a fantastic metabolic conditioner.

As always, there are a million and one ways to train. Circuit work seems to line up nicely with your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This^^

In my opinion, the more you focus on pure strength and lift very heavy & low reps, the more rest you need.

indeed.

For staminia- then do the thing more. More reps- less rest.
  • Matt_C_195
    Options
    As always, there are a million and one ways to train. Circuit work seems to line up nicely with your goals.

This may be the most polite delivery of an opinion/advice I've ever seen in a forum, much respect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Then it would seem that circuit type of work would compliment those goals. Less weight, more reps, less rest. I do something similar 1x weekly to compliment my cycling/spinning and it's helped greatly with my muscular endurance and overall stamina.

I think the 1-2 minutes rest is typical of general hypertrophy and/or strength/power routines. I know some power lifters at my gym who rest about 5 minutes between sets...of course, they're also squatting 600 Lbs plus.