Is my fitness instructor right?

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    To be fair most dentists I've had give advice on nutrition, but it's more, "here's crap that's bad for your teeth." The list typically includes sugar and anything acidic* like lemon water or diet soda. (*Disclaimer: I have not researched the actual ph of said substances.)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mloq7xTrG41qz4rgp.gif
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I blow away my MFP suggested daily sugar intake every day. EVERY DAMN DAY. I have a banana and an apple and those alone kill it. Add in any of the other things I eat...yeah...**BEWM**

At one point I was down to around 9.5% body fat.

I don't think that "fitness instructor" should be talking about nutrition.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I blow away my MFP suggested daily sugar intake every day. EVERY DAMN DAY. I have a banana and an apple. At one point I was down to around 9.5% body fat.

You can customize which nutrients are tracked by going to your diary and clicking Settings. Stop tracking sugar :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I blow away my MFP suggested daily sugar intake every day. EVERY DAMN DAY. I have a banana and an apple. At one point I was down to around 9.5% body fat.

You can customize which nutrients are tracked by going to your diary and clicking Settings. Stop tracking sugar :)

Yep, I don't. My macros I track are total carbs, fiber, fat, protein and sodium.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I suggest you find a new instructor your current one is stupid.
  • Fit4Nature
    Options

No, your fitness instructor is absolutely not right.

Fitness instructors are in general the last people you should be taking nutrition advice from.

So true. I had such a hard time dropping weight following a prescribed 'diet' by my fitness instructor years ago. The moment I adjusted it myself, and did research on my own, I lost weight.

I'm sure the instructor has good intentions, but that is just bad advice. Fruit alone has natural sugars, and trust me, you could easily go over that 'limit'.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Really? o:
    Huh. I guess I never really thought about it that way.
    I just tend to think of sweets like cupcakes and stuff being high-ish in calorie so I attribute it to sugar.
    My mistake.

LOL, you didn't make a mistake and have no need to apologize. People on internet forums just like to argue semantics and technicalities.

You're absolutely correct that most foods high in sugar tend to be high calorie, and are easy to over eat (the exception is fruit). If you're tracking your calories then it's not a big deal. But people who don't track calories and also eat a lot of sugary foods may find themselves gaining weight.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Really? o:
    Huh. I guess I never really thought about it that way.
    I just tend to think of sweets like cupcakes and stuff being high-ish in calorie so I attribute it to sugar.
    My mistake.

LOL, you didn't make a mistake and have no need to apologize. People on internet forums just like to argue semantics and technicalities.

You're absolutely correct that most foods high in sugar tend to be high calorie, and are easy to over eat (the exception is fruit). If you're tracking your calories then it's not a big deal. But people who don't track calories and also eat a lot of sugary foods may find themselves gaining weight.

I want to hug you
    Please and thank you.
  • jonnythan
    Options

And some people actually appreciate correct information and knowledge. Minor corrections are not personal attacks or arguments; they're attempts at making sure people are on the same page.

They're an opportunity to learn. Some people take them as an opportunity for butthurt.
  • meb74
    meb74 Posts: 18
    Options
    You actually lose weight from the last place you gained it. Then it goes in that order. Wherever you gained last is where you will lose first.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

And some people actually appreciate correct information and knowledge. Minor corrections are not personal attacks or arguments; they're attempts at making sure people are on the same page.

They're an opportunity to learn. Some people take them as an opportunity for butthurt.

Shhhh no leave him alone he has muscles and says nice things to me. *slap*
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    You actually lose weight from the last place you gained it. Then it goes in that order. Wherever you gained last is where you will lose first.

Not really true /:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Exactly! The info given about calories in grams of carbs/fat/protein is so helpful to know -- it helps you spot inaccuracies in database entries and helps one effectively log what they are eating.

But I suppose not knowing that and feeling right is more useful.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

:huh:

I'd love to see your source of that info.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Jonny has muscles and sometimes says nice things to me.
    Only when I remove his gag tho.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Jonny has muscles and sometimes says nice things to me.
    Only when I remove his gag tho.

And when you're holding the whip.

mmfgk!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    She says that if I keep going over this allowance I won't lose my fat from my middle section.

This is enough to question her credibility as a trainer
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Well I don't think there's much point in debating whether or not sugar should be considered high calorie. What do you think about the fact that muscle weighs more than fat?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well I don't think there's much point in debating whether or not sugar should be considered high calorie. What do you think about the fact that muscle weighs more than fat?

I think there is, because so many people have little to no concept of where calories come from, the calorie content of a gram of sugar vs a gram of fat, the macro breakdown of various foods, etc.

This is critical information you and I may take for granted, but people who are new to this often have no idea.

As for "muscle weighs more than fat" all I have to say is that muscle is more dense than fat, and two otherwise-identical people at the same weight can look dramatically different as a result. A woman at 120 lbs 16% body fat will be smaller, firmer, and significantly more toned than the same woman at 120 lbs 25% body fat.