Weight loss from coughing

Options
I've had a bad cold this week, and I dropped 5 pounds. Is there any way to make sure the weight doesn't rebound once I feel better?

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that most of the weight you lost while sick is water weight and you should rebound. That will be healthy for you.

Often times people lose their appetite while sick and will end up eating at a deficit resulting in a loss, but for a cold/cough that has only lasted a couple days, it will be a small amount - no where close to the 5 pounds you lost.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that most of the weight you lost while sick is water weight and you should rebound. That will be healthy for you.

Often times people lose their appetite while sick and will end up eating at a deficit resulting in a loss, but for a cold/cough that has only lasted a couple days, it will be a small amount - no where close to the 5 pounds you lost.

usually it's from the lack of eating- not the coughing- I know when I'm coughing i'm not eating to much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

usually it's from the lack of eating- not the coughing- I know when I'm coughing i'm not eating to much.

^^^this^^^

And I'd also add that as a former 2-3 PAD smoker, if coughing aided significantly in weight loss, I would have been underweight instead of growing into a big fat guy.
  • MrsChurch1979
    Options
    I have been feeling very dehydrated. So it's probably water?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately it's hard to keep those "sick pounds" off. Just get back to your healthy eating. You may rebound up a bit and you may keep a couple of them off. But if some do come back don't get discouraged. Your body was trying to heal itself not worry about weight loss. It's trying to get back into balance.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I had bronchitis 3 weeks ago and coughed so much I threatened to log it as Pilates. But I didn't.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling very dehydrated. So it's probably water?
    Since odds are you didn't burn 15,000 plus calories more than you ate, yes, I'd say water. Dehydration is one reason people who are sick get sicker and take longer to recover. Drink up!
  • MrsChurch1979
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.