High Sugar, always under the calories goal is it good?

Options
Hi,

Being going under the calories goal for 2 weeks, has lost 6 pounds, but I always go red numbers with my sugar intake.
Should I be worried? Could it affect my future weight loss, or affect my health?

Thanks

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time accepting those red numbers, but they really don't matter. Calories do!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar allowance is a little low, especially if you eat a lot of fruit. I don't even look at that number, frankly. I've changed what I see so that I can focus on the things that mean more to me like iron and calcium.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    unless there is a health reason where you should monitor your sugar intake, pay it no mind
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I say yes. Research sugar and acidity in the body, and the body's hormonal response to the foods we eat. It's eye opening.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, it looks like your intake is biased too far in the carb direction (much of it from processed foods), so you're really not getting enough protein and fat.

From a purely weight-loss perspective, it really doesn't matter -- calories are calories. However, if you're trying to make a lifestyle / healthy eating change, then you really should look at your macros (the carbs / protein / fat ) in your food diary and try to get them a bit more balanced.
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am trying to reduce my fat intakes so my body would use my fat reserves and lose some excess, I think I have eaten a lot of fat this past 3 years (KFC, Mcdonalds everyday) :S
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugary drinks and think about your poor teeth!
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my teeth hates me. I will try to cut down those juices from my regular diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am trying to reduce my fat intakes so my body would use my fat reserves and lose some excess, I think I have eaten a lot of fat this past 3 years (KFC, Mcdonalds everyday) :S

dietary fats =/= body fat

You need a minimum of fats in your diet. Body fat is simply excess stored energy.
  • rcoolastro
    Options
    Eating fats doesn't make your body fat. Fat in food isn't the same thing as fat you store on your body. It's unfortunate that they have the same name. From now on fat in food will be called whozits. You need whozits to survive and function and, like many other types of food, is great in moderation. Whozits don't make you fat, but eating too many calories (from any sources, including whozits) will get you fat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar allowance is a little low, especially if you eat a lot of fruit. I don't even look at that number, frankly. I've changed what I see so that I can focus on the things that mean more to me like iron and calcium.

This!^

I changed my settings to track fiber instead. I do try to limit added sugar (it's my downfall) .......but MFP treats all sugar the same.
  • pudsney
    pudsney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i was thinking the same thing and when i went back and looked i noticed they account sugars in lettuce and cucumbers turkey meat???? Don't get that ????
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

dietary fats =/= body fat

You need a minimum of fats in your diet. Body fat is simply excess stored energy.

THIS!

You can eat bacon and lose weight. You can eat only bread and fruit and gain weight. It's about calories.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Like previous posters said, if you are just here to lose weight, pay no mind to the macro settings on MFP and just stay withing your daily calorie limit. If however you plan to make healthy lifestyle changes, paying close attention to your macros is vital and this includes sugar.

I know there is an overwhelming amount of information out there, it can seem daunting when you first get started and every person has their own way of doing things so you will hear a lot of mixed answers. With this in mind, please know that the advice I am about to give is my personal advice, I am not a nutritionist or dietician.

- The recommended max amount of sugar for men per day is 36 grams. I know this is hard, but try working towards that even if it takes you a year.

- Your body uses two types of fuel: First carbs, then fat. Fat is necessary for your body and organs to function. Don't stop eating it. Keep this in mind though, if you lower the amount of carbs you eat, your body will use that carb stored energy up quickly and then start using your body fat as fuel.

- Try to have the majority of your calories come from lean protein and not carbs. You don't want to lose your muscle mass when you start dropping pounds and high protein meals will make you feel full longer.

As I said, I am not an expert, just giving advice on something that has worked for me!