Protein Intolerance?

Options
I feel like crap! I have been eating healthy for a couple weeks now (I have an open food log) and I feel so nasty sometimes. The three meals that made me feel like I was going to die were; steel cut oats with egg and a banana mushed in, a big bowl of cream of wheat and now my 3 egg omelet thing I had for lunch is making me want to barf. I am eating healthy, shouldn't I feel better? My main diet before this used to be big bowls of pasta with tomato sauce that I would sometimes add cheese on and I felt fine (I am mostly fat from junk food binges, it was hit or miss as to if I felt like total crap after). It wouldn't be a big deal but all three of those meals were breakfasts (or morning) and I felt like crap the entire day!

My crappy crap symptoms are:
-Weird full feeling for the rest of the day
-Silent thick felling burps
-Nausea, particularity when I feel my bowels moving
-Heavy feeling/feeling fatter than usual
-Loss of appetite, obviously because I feel like hell
-Weakness and blah mood, probably from this stuff ^
-A little flatulence, but more uncomfortably the feeling of wanting to fart but I usually can't
-Sudden barfing a little in my mouth. Sometimes it's as clean as water, other times it is burning bile but most of the time it is what I just ate.
-The urge to lay down and 'sleep it off'

I understand you all are not dr.s, I am not looking for medical advice. I was just wondering if anyone knows what this is so I can tweak my diet. Does anyone have a guess to what this is?

Replies

• SuperSvelteLana
    SuperSvelteLana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe your eggs were bad?

If this was happening to me I would do some sort of fast and then add things back in slowly to figure out what foods were causing the reactions/symptoms.

Of course you'd want to ask a doc if a fast is a safe or healthy thing for you to do. If so I'd go with a 10 day juice fast being sure to prep for it by weening off foods that take a while to digest like meat.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Like you said, I am no Doctor

But have you thought maybe you aren't eating enough? I cant really tell if you are forgetting to log all of your meals or you aren't eating the full 1200?

Possibly more fiber?

Do you feel like it only comes at certain times of the day or after you eat certain type of foods?
  • Erinelda
    Options
    Yes, my eggs being bad would explain some things but the problem with that is there wasn't any at all in the cream of wheat and that is the one that made me feel the worst. I swore it expanded in my stomach and caused me pain, then the above symptoms as bad as it gets.

Sometimes when I feel like that I also get sulphur burps as part of the fantastic package.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Did you recently increase your fiber intake dramatically? I would suggest increasing fiber slowly and make sure you drink more water and get enough fats to help things along.

And cream of wheat does not have much protein, so why would you think it is a protein intolerance? Are you lactose intolerant and added milk products to any/all of these?
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I log everything, if you ignore my calories, you see I eat MASSIVE meals. Like 3 cups of food.

It was those 3 meals in the last 10 days, that is feeling like crap 3 out of 10 days. Everything I have put in my body has been measured and logged
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you picked up a virus.
  • copselily
    Options
    Yes, my eggs being bad would explain some things but the problem with that is there wasn't any at all in the cream of wheat and that is the one that made me feel the worst. I swore it expanded in my stomach and caused me pain, then the above symptoms as bad as it gets.

Sometimes when I feel like that I also get sulphur burps as part of the fantastic package.

I can't really advise you properly as I'm not a doctor but what you've described sounds a lot like gastroparesis. Do some googling and see if you think this might be the case. I would also advise seeing a doctor because it does seem like you have a digestive issue. :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options
    I log everything, if you ignore my calories, you see I eat MASSIVE meals. Like 3 cups of food.

It was those 3 meals in the last 10 days, that is feeling like crap 3 out of 10 days. Everything I have put in my body has been measured and logged

Def not a protein intolerance, you actually don't eat much protein at all. MFP's suggested protein is very low. I would suggest 0.7grams per lb of body weight. So if you were 200lbs that would be 140 grams of protein per day, much much more than you are getting now.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    First figure out if it is the food or the time of day. If you eat those things later do they effect you the same way? I have trouble eating right when I get up and have similar (although not as severe) symptoms if I eat too early. I think my stomach just wakes up slower than the rest of me.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the corn beef?

I don't know.

Also, if you already feel like that and then you eat more your body is probably going to complain.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I think it may be protein because days I eat a lot of protein I feel like a bag of dog crap lol. The cream of wheat meal was only 14 grams of protein, I couldn't tell you why I wanted to die so bad after. That's why I am asking.

Yes but I eat dairy a lot and it doesn't bother me at all.

Lizzy.. Maybe that is a thing, maybe I ate too big of a meal too early. Maybe I should try cream of wheat for dinner sometime and see if it tries to murder me again.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I think it may be protein because days I eat a lot of protein I feel like a bag of dog crap lol. The cream of wheat meal was only 14 grams of protein, I couldn't tell you why I wanted to die so bad after. That's why I am asking.

Looking at your diary I don't see one day that I would consider high protein. 14 grams in one meal is not a lot, my shakes usually have 25-35 grams alone.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    If I am intolerant, who knows what is a lot. Do you see any clues to what it COULD be?
    I have taken note of the corned beef, my body hates it some days so I wont buy it anymore.

I usually always eat again on those days, not because I am hungry but because I instinctively want to move it along and not have it sit there.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to have similar symptoms before I was diagnosed with reflux. Also had some of the same problems just prior to needing my gall bladder taken out. I'd see a doctor.
  • copselily
    Options
    If I am intolerant, who knows what is a lot. Do you see any clues to what it COULD be?
    I have taken note of the corned beef, my body hates it some days so I wont buy it anymore.

Could it be the fat content? Do you notice the symptoms get worse when you consume food higher in fat? If this is the case you could have an issue with your gall bladder.

The reason why I mentioned gastroparesis (which is when your stomach doesn't empty food as quickly as it should) is because eating a lot of protein will worsen that problem, because protein sits in the stomach longer.
  • erickirb
    Options

I think it would be more likely Gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, too much fiber (when not use to it increase in fiber can bloat and be painful), too much sugar???
  • Erinelda
    Options
    Yes I do sometimes have gull bladder attacks. Usually from fast food. Do you know what foods to avoid? I'd hate to have surgery when I could just quit irritating it.

Can't be sugar, before I started eating cleanish I ate candy like a man woman lol.
  • leaner426
    Options
    Do you have celiac disease? Try going off wheat/gluten a few days. If you have cut a lot of wheat from your diet like all the pasta you used to eat, then when you have some it could bloat you up and make you feel sick.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Lizzy.. Maybe that is a thing, maybe I ate too big of a meal too early. Maybe I should try cream of wheat for dinner sometime and see if it tries to murder me again.

It could easily be the protein, this happens to me when I drink protein shakes, I feel so incredibly nauseas, I don't really bother with them anymore. I'm not as bad as when eating lots of protein though...maybe because it doesn't digest as fast as the shakes.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Blatently pregnant