Swimming Workouts

I am trying to get into shape for a sprint Triathlon in July and know that I need to improve my swimming performance. I've read about the importance of keeping a low profile in the water. DOes anyone have any tips or workouts to improve my ability to keep my body as a relatively flat plane in the water?

Thanks!

Replies

• Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    When I did competitive swimming, we worked with isolation exercises to really focus on form and technique. If you are wanting to work on lower profile, I would find a noodle or some bouyant device to help lift your lower half and then focus on your arm technique. The noodle will create a slight drag but it will allow you to just mentally and physically work on your shoulder, arm rotations. When i work on the upper half, I focus on making my rotations through the torso with a solid back for support rather than rotating with the neck and upper shoulder. Also work on your breath support becuase the less often that you need to take a breath, the more stream line your strokes will be.
  • I agree with Vonikins. Isolate certain parts of your body and work on form, precision, and technique. Great technique will make your swimming much faster! To focus on a smooth kick (it helps to keep you from sinking and keeps you flat), use a kickboard and focus on doing short, smooth strokes while doing flutterkick (freestyle kick.) To work on your arm, hand, and upper body technique, stick a pool buoy between your knees or legs and don't kick. Focus on using just your arms to move forward and rotate your shoulders and don't let your elbows drop on the catch.