Running shoe question

Options
I just finished my very first C25K workout wearing brand new running shoes. Within a few minutes my feet began to really hurt, on both sides. I tried to loosen the shoes but that did not seem to work. Do I just need to give them time to break in or is this a sign that the shoes might not fit properly?

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they're not a good fit for you. Modern day shoes really shouldn't have to be "broken in" (per John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield - and the people from the running store they consulted with for "Marathoning for Mortals"). Did you go to a shop where they checked your gait and everything? Mine had me run in the shoes I was trying on both to watch how they did with my feet and so I could see how they felt.

Then again, if it's your FIRST time running, it could be a matter of your feet needing to build up those muscles. Hard to say for sure, but potentially worth a visit to a running store where they'll check your gait, etc.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    She watched me walk and said that I pronate (??) so I am in shoes that are supposed to help with that. Do I just need to get used to the new type of shoes?

ETA: It hurt more when I walked than when I ran. When I was jogging it did not hurt very badly at all.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    sweetie, NEVER wear brand new shoes for a workout. you gotta wear em around a few days and break them in before road testing. Soak those feet in some epsom salts. do you have a regular pair you can wear?
  • kennedar
    Options
    I do, I was just so excited about wearing the new ones!
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's not the shoes that need to be broken in...its the feet inside those shoes that need to be broken in.....
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    ya your feet should not hurt you hope its just your shoes being to tight that what it sounds like i sure would like to find a good exersice shoes i have flat feet sense i put on all this weight theri really flat
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You have to break in running shoes slowly. Once you've got them broken in, they should be really comfy. If they're not, it's not a good fit.

I was lucky finding my black champion brand runners. They are the most comfortable shoe I've EVER worn. It was the first time, as a girl, I felt "Ohmigosh, shoe, where have you been all my life?!"

They are heading into retirement in the next week after 9 months of loyal service, and I'll be breaking in a new set for my birthday
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It could be something as simple as the way you tightened the laces and tied the shoes. I always put my foot flat on the floor and make sure there is a little weight on it before I tighten the laces and tie them...makes a big difference for me, otherwise I cinch everything down too tight and when my foot swells/flexes I get pain.
  • kennedar
    Options
    It's not the shoes that need to be broken in...its the feet inside those shoes that need to be broken in.....

Lol thats what I feared!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Lol thats what I feared!

Just don't break ya feet trying to break in ya trainers :laugh:
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Lol thats what I feared!

Just don't break ya feet trying to break in ya trainers :laugh:

Good point there!!!! I guess my point is that it almost never is the shoe...even if you run a ton, your feet still need time to adjust to a new pair of shoes....take it slow and steady. I just bought a new pair of shoes last Saturday for my marathon season and the max I will run in them is 25 miles per week...TOPS because my feet need to get used to them...