10,000 Steps Per Day?

Options
My Jawbone Up suggests getting in 10,000 steps per day. On the weekends thats pretty easy with running errands and hitting the treadmill. I work from home though during the week and so far today I only have in a little over 300 steps. Yesterday was the same situation so I ended up doing 3.5 miles on the treadmill to make my 10,000 goal.

Is anyone else getting in their 10,000 steps. I'm afraid between having an active kid, a dog, a husband and getting dinner ready and on the table some days I'm just not going to hit my goal and be disapointed. I know its worth it but my lord, my foot is killing me today. Hopefully it comes easier going forward.

Replies

• Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Nope - according to my fit-bit I get about 3,000-4,000 most days... ugh! I just can't boost it more yet... but the time is coming...
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have no idea how to keep it that high once all of this snow is gone. I shoveled this morning and now am at 4900 but there is no way that I am going to hit the 10K
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and I get at least 10,000 steps in per day. Sometimes I will run in place while watching tv if I did not walk enough during the day just to meet my goal.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I get about 15,000 - 20,000 steps when I add my 30 or 60 minutes @ the gym. I thought I was very sedentary @ work, but I spend a lot of time walking to meetings or going to other people's offices instead of calling them. I park @ the far end of the parking lot and I take (3) 10 minute walks outside during the work week - just to decompress and to get out of the office for a few minutes. Hang in there! :smile:
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I did a walking challenge last year. I aimed for 100 miles and met my goal. There were days I couldn't go for my walk, so I had to make up for it on other days. It was the 5-mile days that I was able to hit the 10k step mark. Outside of intentional physical activity, my 'regular' life is pretty sedentary- work from home desk job, kids gone all day at school, errands/chores/cooking didn't get a whole lot of steps in for me!

I miss those walk days. I might start them back up just for the heck of it. It was a nice way to clear my mind between dropping the kids off at school and the start to my hectic work day. :)
  • feelinggreat140
    feelinggreat140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too have a hard time getting the 10,000 during the work week unless I make time to go to the indoor track and walk or take a walk at home. However, many nights I don't get home before dark to get that walk in outside. Does your dog require a walk? I know I read in Prevention that I could also march during commercials or while watching my favorite show in the evening until I get my steps. I usually get at least 5,000 steps in at work so then I can get to 7,000 by the end of the day but 10,000 can be a challenge. I don't have a treadmill. Are you part of any challenge at this time? Maybe that is what we need to start as I have found that when I am checking in with a group that I tend to be more aggressive in meeting my goals ...In the past I have kept a map to keep track of how far I have walked. It was also fun.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Take the dog for a walk first thing in the AM (30 mins will get you about 4000+) and then again at lunch another walk - after that, wilth the other stuff, you'll be surprized to find you do your 10,000.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I get mine is most days. But I have to be aware of it-- I make more trips every where. I am an awesome multi tasker and I have stopped doing that. I park further away and walk to the stores. I do things to make sure that I move more. It was hard at first, but easy once I got used to it.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill is at your home you might try putting a stand on it that will hold whatever it is you are working on and walk while reading/working. One of our neighbors does that. while I could read while walking on a treadmill, she is able to use her computer and get other things done. Her treadmill also happens to be in the room with her (large) television so she can walk and watch the television while dinner is heating on the stove. Hitting the 10K steps mark can be a challenge. I generally try to get 75K for a week then if I have an off day or two I can try to make it up on other days so it all balances out.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    To log more steps on my fitbit, I may look like a crazy person haha but while doing things like folding laundry, cooking supper, doing dishes I pace side to side. It adds steps to my fitbit and brings my heart rate up as well.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I got a FitBit in January, and have been working hard to hit at least 10,000 steps per day. It DOES take work to hit that goal - that's why doing that many steps helps you get fit and lose weight. In order to get the steps during the winter I've been doing Leslie Sansone videos, my JustDance game on the Wii or Zumba class every day. Once the snow is gone I'll have to take daily walks to get all my steps. I have a desk job, and my favorite hobbies are sedentary (sewing and reading), so walking the equivalent of 5 miles per day would NEVER happen if I didn't plan in enough daily activity to MAKE it happen. I have been known to pace around the living room while reading in the evening since starting this goal......I also now walk to the restroom on the second or third floor while at work and take the long way around the office to the printer or copy machine.....my FitBit helps encourage me to find ways to fit in extra steps all day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - when you're out and about, park further away from whatever building, etc you are going to.

- park further away from your office building or wherever you work instead of going for that "rock star" parking.

- Start the day off with a walk..a good 30-40 minute walk in the morning gets me around 3500 - 4800 steps right from the go

- make sure you get up once an awhile just to walk around a bit. In just about one minute of steady walking I take around 120 steps

- take the stairs at work

- i work on the third floor of our office building and we have restrooms up here as well as a break room...but I take the stairs down to the first floor when I need the facilities or to refill my water bottle in the 1st floor break room

lots of little things quickly add up.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for years. I've got my pedometer set so that 10,000 steps is about 5 miles. In the spring and summer, I don't have a problem, since twice around my neighborhood is a mile and a half. In the fall/winter, I work 2-3 days on a campus where I do a lot of walking, so I can get 2-3 miles in easily, and do the rest when I work out. But this winter has been very challenging with extreme cold and snow. I don't own a treadmill, so I've been doing a walking video On Demand, which is supposed to be the equivalent of 3 miles. However, my step counter doesn't seem too accurate when I do it because it shows only about a mile after 45 minutes.

I can see how Americans are out of shape, though, because I got another job where I just walk from the parking lot to my office and then back, and basically sit all day. On days like that, I have to go to the gym because I put in under 1000 steps (less than 1/2 a mile).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I move around alot so I get in about 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day. And I do the stepmill a lot and my Flex doesn't really count the activity very well. But the rest of the movement I do is usually with walking/jogging around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    today I got in 22551. I tend to go over easily with being on my feet for 11 hours a shift and working everywhere I can
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I wear an UP and I usually get my steps in. During the day at work, if I have 10 minutes with nothing to do I try to go into the conference room and walk (kind of fast) around the big table. Some days I can do that a couple of times. Really adds up. I'm training for a run right now, so getting steps in isn't a problem. But when I'm not running I will check my UP in the evening. If I'm under a little, it's motivation to get out for a walk around the block.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Makes sense that I really started packing on weight when I went to work from home three years ago. Yikes! You just don't realize how walking from the parking ramp into work and to meetings really add up on steps. I just have to keep telling myself its worth it and getting me to my goal.
  • waltersro2012
    waltersro2012 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am at 11,254 steps right now, I average 13,000-14,000 daily.
    In the morning I walk 1.5 miles to work and another 2.5 - 3 miles on my lunch.
    Here's a little secret I use to get the steps above 10,000 everyday and also to get my water intake daily.
    Instead of refilling my travel cup with water everytime I get up (desk job) to use the restroom, I make two trips. So my 100 steps now becomes 200. I drink alot of water 12-14 cups so that's 6-7 trips which averages to 2,600 steps just get a water refill.
    A seditary job doesn't have to be seditary.
    Best of luck!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM with a home gym, so I just pop downstairs and do 20 minutes on the elliptical several times a day. My goal is 22,000 steps per day (I don't always get it, especially on the weekends) but still get 10K those days. I'm actually COMMITTED to that now, with the Pact app (also doing the food pact, syncing here with MFP).

Little steps, little workouts ... they all add up! Anytime I forget something downstairs, or park further in the parking lot, or take the stairs instead of the elevator, I always think "more steps on my pedometer!"

Today - and every Tuesday, I get 10x10 ... 10,000 steps by 10 a.m. 20min Elliptical, an hour or so of Zumba, and then a little bit more just to hit that goal!

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I get in about 30,000 steps. walk in the morning before work, during lunch time and in the evening. I try to get anywhere between 12 to 15 miles a day. On the weekends I usually get anywhere between 40 to 60 thousand steps