Can I skip logging fruits and veggies in diary?

Options
I used to use WEIGHT WATCHERS and they told me not log fruits and veggies on my diary. I ate as many as I wanted and ended up losing like 40 pounds.

Is it okay to keep not logging them here on MFP?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I went to fat camp we didn't have to record fruits and veggies, but that's not really a great idea while using MFP.

You really should log EVERYTHING you eat. Fruits actually have a solid number of calories that are definitely important to log. And while veggies don't have too many calories, it's good to know what you're eating and remember if you've had enough veggies for the day, from a nutritional stand point.

Everything adds up.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless by some miracle no longer have calories you log them. A Banana has 100 calories you start ignoring numbers like that and it wont be long before you're not eating at a deficit.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Log them - log everything!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    Fruit can have a ton of calories. I would definitely log it. Raw veggies aren't too bad but even they can add up.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up, you need to log everything. MFP tracks nutrients as well as calories, and that's information you'll want to ensure that you're not only hitting your calorie goal but staying healthy as well. More data is always helpful when you're having a slow weight loss week or at a plateau to figure out what you need to tweak.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I also track my macro and micro nutrients here so I log everything. I have great numbers for my vitamin A and C. Can't get that without tracking fruit and veg.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I think you need to adhere to the guidelines of system you are following - I get that WW works for people but I am guessing their points system allows for some extra 'spare calories' to be coming from fruit and vegies and they want to encourage you to eat these and therefore less of other things, and so you don't have to log them.

MFP works differently - there is no built in assumption of 'spare calories' so you do need to log everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    WW makes up for "free foods" by tacking on additional points to other foods. Calorie counting is calorie counting...WW is WW...they're not the same thing.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Calories do add up, you pretty much have to log everything in order to get results.

How awesome it would be if I didn't have to log apples, though. Cronch. Forever.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    WW doesn't work here, you can't mix and max the systems. Count all the calories.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can skip it. While you're at it, skip logging pizza too, I mean, if the calories in fruits and veggies don't count, why should the calories in pizza count? This is fun, we should come up with a whole list of foods with irrelevant calories. :huh:

Rigger
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can skip it. While you're at it, skip logging pizza too, I mean, if the calories in fruits and veggies don't count, why should the calories in pizza count? This is fun, we should come up with a whole list of foods with irrelevant calories. :huh:

Rigger

Beer! I call beer!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yep, log everything, agree with all of the above.

With fruit you need to be a little more careful as it's a little more calorie dense (but still packed full of fiber and micro nutrients!! don't skip it!!), but with veggies...I'll be honest, I play fast and loose with my logging of veggies :laugh: . I weigh EVERYTHING that I make/eat at home (which is almost all of my food), with the exception that I can't remember the last time I actually weighed out vegetables (the non-starchy ones, that is). Still log them, but I don't get super stressed about accuracy because even if I'm eating twice as much broccoli as I think I am, what's that, 20 calories? NBD.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Rigger

Beer! I call beer!

In for wine. Might be a moot point, though, because I can only measure/log something if I actually remember consuming it. Wait, this might explain a lot...:drinker:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Wine comes from fruit....so.....
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do, because turns out they really have calories, even if weight watchers doesn't think so. Besides, I want credit for eating them. But you can sure try not logging them and see if you still lose weight. The great thing about this site is that you get to make up your own rules. I don't log water or vitamins, but some people do.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I logged just short of 200 cals in veg and fruit, so do that everyday it's 1400 a week. Thats not that many calories short of a whole day's worth per week for me. I didnt have high calorie fruit like bananas or mango either.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do they have calories????
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    So it sounds like the answer is LOG THEM.

I wish MFP worked like WW - I was so much more successful for some reason on the POINT SYSTEM but can't afford $18 a month.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Why? Some of them have a high caloric count... not to mention carb content...