JUNK FOOD JUNKIE..

Options
Sooo.. I'm new to this.. very addicted to junk/processed foods...as a result i have acumulated elevated blood presssure readings for about 6 months to a year..yes i am overweight which plays a big part and can't seem to stay away from sodium. at a recent DR. appointment it wa altumatum either lifestyle/eating habit change or swallow BP meds:grumble: ...so i opted for the CHANGE..I just need some healthier options instead of swallowing raw veggies/fruits which I know are very healthy and i love them but i don't think i can take another friggn broccoli stalk, carrot, or apple another day to help keep this plan going:noway: (which i haved replaced from the usual chips, cookies, that eat..) ANY SUGGESTIONS???????::huh:

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why raw food? There are a lot of fruits and veg out there and many are lovely when cooked.

Spinach is great in soup, curry, and smoothies. I add it too lasagna filling as well. Zucchini is nice in lasagna as well (grate into the filling, not in place of noodles!)

Cabbage and squash I throw in with roasts, gives me nice beefy tasting veg. Nomnom.

Just be creative. Lots of mild tasting stuff that can go in basically anything.

I like yogurt or jello and pudding for snacks. Throw some chocolate chips in and gtg.
  • kazxoxx
    kazxoxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I sympathise I am addicted to junk too, trying to moderate it by filling in diary and thinking about what I eat, but it is hard making sensible options. I find stews ans soups a good way of getting veg and like trying different. Fruits in fruit salad with low fat yoghurt, good luck and keep going!
    Kazxoxx
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes I have similar traits and I look for tasty substitutes. For example I just found Morning Star veggie sausage (a fabulous replacement for McDonald's sausage), which I fry in olive oil to crispness and then immediately season with Morton's potassium salt replacement. But you probably need to discuss with your doctor regarding the potassium use as a substitute for sodium salt. For some people it can be a help to lowering their blood pressure, ask the doc! Another thing that tastes decadent, (hope you have a blender): a half cup each of frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, plain soy milk and water, plus 4 packets of stevia/sucralose. You can see this has 2cups of volume so it's a filling smoothie. I expect many people here to have great recipes to add. After a while the healthier foods have started to be what I crave. But I have a troubled relationship with food.:blushing:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sooo.. I'm new to this.. very addicted to junk/processed foods...as a result i have acumulated elevated blood presssure readings for about 6 months to a year..yes i am overweight which plays a big part and can't seem to stay away from sodium. at a recent DR. appointment it wa altumatum either lifestyle/eating habit change or swallow BP meds:grumble: ...so i opted for the CHANGE..I just need some healthier options instead of swallowing raw veggies/fruits which I know are very healthy and i love them but i don't think i can take another friggn broccoli stalk, carrot, or apple another day to help keep this plan going:noway: (which i haved replaced from the usual chips, cookies, that eat..) ANY SUGGESTIONS???????::huh:

I have high BP. Dr. was about to put me on a SECOND medication. I can't get the sodium under control (okay, I'm not willing to) but have to say, dropping weight is lowering the BP. Keep this up and I hope I can get off meds altogether.