Sleep apnea question

Options
RNmomto3
RNmomto3 Posts: 15 Member
Sorry I didn't know where to put this! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in August. Although I've always needed to lose weight, my biggest motivator right now is the possibility of getting rid of this stupid CPAP machine! Just curious to see people's stories on if losing weight solved their sleep apnea or not?

Replies

• BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am also a cpap user also & have always wondered the same thing. Let's lose & find out ok!:flowerforyou:
  • RNmomto3
    Options
    I am also a cpap user also & have always wondered the same thing. Let's lose & find out ok!:flowerforyou:

Sounds good to me!! I will be so happy the day I can get rid of that thing for good!
  • danyvaone
    Options
    i think medication is better ...how old ?
  • RNmomto3
    Options

I've never heard of medication for sleep apnea! I am 29.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

For sleep apnea? Doctors RARELY prescribe medication for sleep apnea.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I think the breathing machines are safer than medications. Your breathing will get better if you're exercising.. I suppose less pressure on the actual lungs will help as well.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't know where to put this! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in August. Although I've always needed to lose weight, my biggest motivator right now is the possibility of getting rid of this stupid CPAP machine! Just curious to see people's stories on if losing weight solved their sleep apnea or not?

My uncle had sleep apnea and stopped breathing all together in his sleep. He had to be resuscitated and have surgery. He has lost over 50 lbs and no longer has sleep apnea. He doesn't use his CPAP anymore either.
  • RNmomto3
    Options

My uncle had sleep apnea and stopped breathing all together in his sleep. He had to be resuscitated and have surgery. He has lost over 50 lbs and no longer has sleep apnea. He doesn't use his CPAP anymore either.

Wow, scary! I'm glad he is ok! Thanks for sharing :)
  • RNmomto3
    Options
    I think the breathing machines are safer than medications. Your breathing will get better if you're exercising.. I suppose less pressure on the actual lungs will help as well.

The lungs aren't the issue with sleep apnea. It's your upper airway being blocked off while you are sleeping. Some peoples anatomy just makes that happen and sometimes it's due to excess weight.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There are no medications for sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before losing weight. I have lost 100 pounds and still require the same CPAP pressure setting. Obesity is not the only cause of sleep apnea. In fact, sleep apnea can be a cause of obesity due to the inhibition of leptin and the increase in cortisol from sleep deprivation.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It depends. My sleep physician has told me that some people are just prone to sleep apnea due to anatomy, regardless of weight loss. He's had patients who have undergone gastric bypass, dropped over 100+ pounds and still need the CPAP.

You don't have to be significantly overweight to have sleep apnea.

When I get to my goal, I plan to have a repeat sleep study to see if I still need the CPAP. It's a pain, but I'm getting used to it. I'd rather feel rested than go without the mask and struggle to stay awake the next day.
  • RNmomto3
    Options
    I definitely know you don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea :) But it can be a cause and that's why I'm wondering how often losing weight helps to 'cure' it, and real peoples experiences. My nurse at the sleep clinic told me the worst case of sleep apnea she had seen was in a woman weighing 120 pounds!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sleep apnea can be genetic. Children can have it, my husband had it as a child. It runs in my husbands family (he and all his siblings use a CPAP) My Brother in Law lost maybe 30lbs or so and still needs it.
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea at the age of 22 and weighing 402 pounds. I have since lost over two hundred pounds and haven't used my CPAP in seven years. To be honest, when I got married and moved in with my husband I came across the machine in a box and threw it straight into the trash. I know that sounds bad, but it felt so good!
  • RNmomto3
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea at the age of 22 and weighing 402 pounds. I have since lost over two hundred pounds and haven't used my CPAP in seven years. To be honest, when I got married and moved in with my husband I came across the machine in a box and threw it straight into the trash. I know that sounds bad, but it felt so good!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Yes losing weight cured mine. It'll be a year this month since I've used my APAP machine.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked directly in that field (diagnosing people with sleep apnea) - I can tell you that if you don't have any immediate family who also have sleep apnea and are over weight, getting off excess weight will help immensely.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If your sleep apnea is weight related, then yes losing weight will either reduce or eliminate your need for the CPAP machine altogether.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at my heaviest over two years ago, and now am completely cured.

Good luck! :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about five years ago. Presumably that contributed to my high blood pressure but I must say that cutting out sugar and following a lower carb plan (I usually average between 80 to 130 grams of carbs) seemed to make my blood pressure fall. In any case, after the first 40 pounds, I "graduated" from using CPAP to just using a mouth appliance (the direction things are going for mild to moderate sleep apnea). And then since the last 20 or so, I haven't needed even that. :smile:
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i have had my CPAP machine for 6 days now. i don't have your typical symptoms of sleep apnea; i don't snore, and i don't stop breathing at all. my O2 saturation just drops in my sleep for some reason. I haven't slept in 6 days, I don't know how to fall asleep when i can't yawn (i just have the little nose cup, so when i open my mouth, air just rushes out), this thing sucks.

i asked the doctor how to get rid of needing the machine, and his response (as he walked out the door, with an air of 'you should know this already') was "Lose 40 Pounds".

so, there it is. time to lose 40 pounds if i ever want to be able to sleep agian...