In your opinion, what's the best way to prepare for a 5k?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ran twice on a treadmill before my first 5K. 2 miles each time on the treadmill. That was it. Hadn't ran in 10 years. It wasn't pretty, but I managed. lol.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    c25k app did it for me.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I tried to take up running again several times after leaving the Army and I always did too much, too fast and hurt myself. Being sidelined for months recovering from stress fractures and pulled muscles was only discouraging. I finally found C25K and modified it for times instead of distances. I've been running now for several years so I know it worked.

I am going to go against the grain and say stick to the C25K program. You have a good base set up for walking....but running and walking are two different fields. You legs will still need time to adjust to the new routine you are in, and the biggest injury causer for new runners is going out and doing too much to soon. C25K will be easy the first 3 weeks or so...that is true. But just because it is easy doesn't mean that your legs aren't adjusting. If the C25K is too easy for you, then bring in some extra cross training afterwards or on your rest days. The whole point of C25K is to transition you into running for 30 minutes straight. From that base you can add more and more, to what ever your ultimate goal ends up being. But always start easy and then build up...get into that habit of starting out to maintain injury free.

One thing I have noticed, people on here are so quick to tell others to build a walking base before C25K, but the minute someone shows up with a walking base, it changes to "Oh, C25K will be too easy." Don't fall into that trap. You want to go into this with an injury free mind set.

+3
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I tried to take up running again several times after leaving the Army and I always did too much, too fast and hurt myself.

Bergen runs and boot runs aren't great preparation for recreational running. My ankles and knees are trashed as a result of that so I have to be quite cautious with my speed.