You just can't win!

I'm tired of the annoying comments I'm getting from a guy at my gym. I just want to workout and enjoy my time out of the house. It seems that lately he feels the need to comment about my weight by hollering across the gym for the world to hear and it really bothers me. He keeps saying Oh! You really need to eat. Your wasting away or my sister-inlaw doesn't eat either she's aneroxic your just like her. Really!!!! I'm 5' 5" 140 lbs. in what book does that make me have an eating disorder. If rolls were reversed and I was shouting about him being obease ( which I would never do) I would be persecuted. What gives him the right. Sorry but I had to vent. Please be encouraging to anyone who tries be healthier and don't pass judgement on each other. We all want better healthier lifestyles. No point in tearing each other down.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Pull him aside and ask him to stop. If he does not then just yell 'shut the f**k up and let me workout!' across the gym.

He'll be so embarrassed I guarantee you won't hear from him again.
  • carriebailey72
    carriebailey72 Posts: 75 Member
    I need to do something because its making me so mad I cut my workouts short once he starts talking stupid and just leave.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    I would get the gym management involved.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    bench press him !!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Pull him aside and ask him to stop. If he does not then just yell 'shut the f**k up and let me workout!' across the gym.

He'll be so embarrassed I guarantee you won't hear from him again.

I agree with this!
  • carriebailey72
    Umm! He's been going there for years and I'm guessing he didn't loose a ton of weight sweating it out on on one of those bike things with the huge seat. ( I don't do the bike thing that's why I don't know the name if it. Lol) at a whopping speed of barely moving your feet. He has to be close to 300 lbs I'll never bench press that. Lol he's also the smelly guy in the gym you don't hear me yelling " hey! Stinky wipe the funk off the machines. That smell lingers.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I would get the gym management involved.

This.

Members of the gym should be able to treat each other with respect.
    Complain that he is harassing you and making you feel like you can't go to the gym.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    sometimes you just need to give em that ole' shut the f*&k up juice !
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Better yet.....

Wait till he is down in a squat, or getting ready to do bicep curls....
    Casually uncap your water bottle and walk towards him....
    Then, once you are close enough to, splash the water into his face....
    While yelling, "Don't ever harass me again you pig!"
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    He can't let the old version of you go. I get it all the time from acquaintances that knew me years ago in my fatter years. You can tell from my profile pic I'm in decent shape but not what I would call "skinny". It drives me nuts when they make comments.
  • carriebailey72
    That's funny! I'll have that image in my head tomorrow while working out. Lol he's never in the weight area unless he's passing through. Free weights are the safty zone. Thank goodness lol
  • Have you asked him to stop? He might not realise you're bothered. If you ask him to stop and he doesn't, then talk to the gym management.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    I don't know if all the shut the f**x up comments were mainly kidding but people are crazy these days, you are safer being polite and not humiliating a 300 pound knucklehead. Yes, ask him to stop and if that doesn't work, ask the management.
  • leaner426
    leaner426 Posts: 89 Member
    I think I'd get the gym management involved. You just never know how he'll react. If you do something outrageous like shout back "hey stinky wipe up after yourself, oh wait, you aren't really working out are you?" you might find yourself out of the gym or sued for hurting his feelings. At least have a gym manager present when you confront him. Don't put up with it.

Or just say in a loud voice that your friend is an attorney and if he doesn't stop making comments about your weight, implying you have a mental health issue and generally bothering you at the gym you will sue him. :-)
  • carriebailey72
    He was never a friend. I met him at the gym. Yeah I hate the comments also. I guess because I'm trying to put on muscle and not worry about being "skinny " it bothers me more then it should.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    sometimes you just need to give em that ole' shut the f*&k up juice !
    so much this.

i'd scream just as loudly across across the gym that he needs to STFU and mind his own damn business.

oh and i'm not kidding about that either
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Its not your job to confront him. Management should not be allowing this creep to harass you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Call the management. He is harassing you and how long he has been a member does not matter.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Walk up to him and tell him if he continues you will call the police and ask to have him removed for harrasing you. You can ask that he be fined for disturbing the peace, or ask the police to respond to a suspicious person in the gym you think is on drugs and very perverted. You can also tell him Planet Fitness has free Pizza and Donut days and they even removed the squat racks recently.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    OOOPS Harass
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Just tell the guy that you don't appreciate his comments. He may genuinely not know. If he still doesn't stop, get management involved.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    maybe he wants your attention and thats the only way he can think of getting it ! I would get him on his own and ask him to stop nicely and if he does it again I would be shouting "shut the f*** up" back at him and reporting him to management after !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    He was never a friend. I met him at the gym. Yeah I hate the comments also. I guess because I'm trying to put on muscle and not worry about being "skinny " it bothers me more then it should.

he's a tool who cant just ask you out... so he thinks he is being cute making 'funny' comments.

i would just walk over and quietly say 'would you like me to comment about your weight at the top of my voice? no? then dont make comments about mine'.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    walk in with your ear buds in and ignore him - do this long enough he will find someone else to make note of

or comment to the person closest to you what an a** hat he is making comments like that about a person he doesn't even know (loud enough for him to hear of course) if other people can hear they probably think he's an idiot also

:flowerforyou:
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Ask politely and if no resolution pass to the management.
    Unfortunately we aren't all tough as they come cage fighters and you just don't know what you might be dealing with by telling him to STFU or humiliating him.

The least that would do is create an unpleasant atmosphere each time he's there and who really knows the worst?

A neighbour in the same street as my good friend was stabbed to death six months ago after he accidentally kicked a ball in the park that hit this guy's girlfriend on the leg. Reason given for the killing - he didn't apologize so had disrespected me. 25yrs old. It's a messed up world we live in at times.
  • carriebailey72
    So I went to the gym this morning and my huge pain in the butt walked in. He passes by me and says hey how's it going. I said good I'm just doing the elliptical and hoping any day now I'm gonna blow away and if I work really hard maybe by next week I'll disappear into thin air and maybe I won't have to listen to you insult me. Then he started talking about doughnuts and I said again. You know what. I don't tell you anything about eating 5 eclairs and I don't think you need to tell me what to eat either. He just shut up after that. So only time will tell if he's going to continue being nasty.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    So I went to the gym this morning and my huge pain in the butt walked in. He passes by me and says hey how's it going. I said good I'm just doing the elliptical and hoping any day now I'm gonna blow away and if I work really hard maybe by next week I'll disappear into thin air and maybe I won't have to listen to you insult me. Then he started talking about doughnuts and I said again. You know what. I don't tell you anything about eating 5 eclairs and I don't think you need to tell me what to eat either. He just shut up after that. So only time will tell if he's going to continue being nasty.

Nicely done!
    43589-BURN-kelso-ohSg.jpeg