Gross versus Net Calories

Options
So this is probably a question that has been answered, but I'm too tired to search it out. I just recently figured out that there are gross and net burned calories with activity. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.aspx

From what I understand most gym equipment and some heart rate monitors will give you gross burned (i didn't know this). So when working out, I would earn 300-500 calories burned and those would be added to MFP. And I thought, great I can actually eat those back. Weellllll... I suppose now that is wrong.

So I hooked up my Garmin Forerunner 305, and it looks like it is giving me net calories. But to know, the Heart rates, on both garmin and machines, were identical. So for example, 30 moderate minutes on an upright bike gave me 115 calories, while the machine itself was around 276. And two more exercises such as the eliptical and treadmill all with the same results, the HRM coming in almost 1/2 of what the machines were reading.

Sooooo, finally, my question... When entering exercise in MFP are we supposed to input Gross or Net calories? Or does MFP calculate it?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking this. Just enter the lower amount and eat that back. Review in a month and if you not happy with the results make changes accordingly.
  • ChronoPhantasm
    ChronoPhantasm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what it means by net and gross calories, but I agree, enter the lower amount. You can *kitten* the progress of your weight loss in a week with math to see which number seems to be more accurate IF you're tracking your food carefully and know your TDEE. Or you can wait a month and see in general if you're losing/gaining the right amount.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would definitely input the net calories. I was bummed when I learned there's a difference between net burn and gross burn because it's a large difference. Another interesting article for you...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Also, I don't think you're overthinking this at all. It's a very legitimate question.
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding, and Skarlet , thanks for that link, it really made sense. :)