Nerds and Geeks only please

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP because I'm trying to gain weight to look more like Starbuck from Battlestar.

I was going to go into my nerd cred a little more, maybe name-drop someone from the Whedonverse or mention that I cosplay American McGee's Alice, but I think that "I want to look like Starbuck" pretty much covers it :wink:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like games, comics, music, movies, sci-fi, books etc. All the usual nerd suspects.
    I hate when other self-respecting human beings refer to themselves as "otaku".
    Anyone on the thread, feel free to add me.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    WDEg4.gif

dnd 2nd edition and fourth doctor - good times...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Um, there is something inherently wrong with this post. What the hell is wrong with pubs?! I get my geek on at pubs; pub trivia! Plus, I like beer, and I pretend to be a craft beer geek.

I have made great strides in my nerdom this week though. I was finally able to prioritize my time and only play video games for a few hours and actually get some stuff done like dishes and laundry. You know, because sometimes that stuff is important...

There is something wrong here; when did nerds and geeks become an exclusive club?! There are probably more of my non-geek friends who know about my latest DnD character than my geek friends. Of my less than nerdy friends will come up and say something like, "I just saw the Wolverine movie and I thought he got his claws in that lab place.", and I will say "let me cure that ignorance." As nerds and geeks, it is our duty, our privilege, to welcome all. To break down these barriers and let everyone know that it is okay to roll a 1 from time to time! Just don't let the dice hit the floor. NEVER....let the dice hit the floor.

F THAT! You know how frustrating it is seeing the same people that used to beat me up for reading comics talking about how much they loved The Avengers?? I very much dig that all things nerdy are finally getting their proper respect. But unless you know what the Tesseract Cube was ORIGINALLY called I don't want to hear how big a fan you are of Marvel...by which you mean 3-4 blockbuster movies that everyone loved. I was there during the hard times, man! I bought my 6 copies of X-Men 1 so I could get all the holograph cards. I remember the days when you couldn't even get decent super hero cartoons, much less feature films. I had to watch as the Hulk turned gray and Spider-Man had a thousand ****ty clones. I paid my dues!

Now I gotta see hot girls put on fake glasses and pretend to be nerds, because they think Robert Downey Jr. is hot. Get outta my treehouse!! No stoopid girlz allowed!!

:glasses: :explode: :glasses: :angry: NERD RAGE!!

(please don't take this seriously)

Woah this is more fitting here!

giphy.gif
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I can totally get my geek on with beer in hand. Matter of fact, it may enhance my geekitude for a temporary +4 after quaffing.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

F THAT! You know how frustrating it is seeing the same people that used to beat me up for reading comics talking about how much they loved The Avengers?? I very much dig that all things nerdy are finally getting their proper respect. But unless you know what the Tesseract Cube was ORIGINALLY called I don't want to hear how big a fan you are of Marvel...by which you mean 3-4 blockbuster movies that everyone loved. I was there during the hard times, man! I bought my 6 copies of X-Men 1 so I could get all the holograph cards. I remember the days when you couldn't even get decent super hero cartoons, much less feature films. I had to watch as the Hulk turned gray and Spider-Man had a thousand ****ty clones. I paid my dues!

Now I gotta see hot girls put on fake glasses and pretend to be nerds, because they think Robert Downey Jr. is hot. Get outta my treehouse!! No stoopid girlz allowed!!

You know what....you got a point, a very good point. I remember when I thought taking my complete Marvel Flair set to school was cool, only to realize shortly after that it was not. I still remember having a cute girl come up and ask me what The Wizards First Rule was and thinking to myself, I can't believe this is happening, only to have a table of her friends start laughing at my gullibility. Never again! NEVER! And I don't care what anyone says, the Scarlet Spider freaking rocked!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You know what....you got a point, a very good point. I remember when I thought taking my complete Marvel Flair set to school was cool, only to realize shortly after that it was not. I still remember having a cute girl come up and ask me what The Wizards First Rule was and thinking to myself, I can't believe this is happening, only to have a table of her friends start laughing at my gullibility. Never again! NEVER! And I don't care what anyone says, the Scarlet Spider freaking rocked!
    So, my boyfriend started talking to me on an online dating site because I played board games with friends. Imagine his surprise when he found out months later that I used to roll play, and we're now gaming together in a pathfinder game. He's so happy and pleasantly surprised.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I collected the X-Men 1995 Fleer Ultra cards, and I took them to school sometimes. They were BAD-*kitten* and I wish I still had them :C
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So, my boyfriend started talking to me on an online dating site because I played board games with friends. Imagine his surprise when he found out months later that I used to roll play, and we're now gaming together in a pathfinder game. He's so happy and pleasantly surprised.

awesome
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Scarlet Spider is my favourite!!!

It's crazy, when I was a kid it was the same thing, I went out on Sunday night to a 80's/90's dance bar and I wore my TMNT cartoon shirt, I had at least 5 women come up to me to comment on it. It's so strange....The women I was with were saying they really need to start wearing nerdy clothes after seeing all the attention I got.

It's great but at the same time, will those girls like the fact I have the old school TMNT comics on my shelf or is it just "cute"
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me I'm a nerd. We got married on May 4th.

Currently trying to find a Battlestar Galactica poster to put up in our living room.

Sent you a friend request!

You got married on Star Wars Day?? That's awesome!!!

Yeh! Not in costume though, I drew the line at that :wink:
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options

I collected the X-Men 1995 Fleer Ultra cards, and I took them to school sometimes. They were BAD-*kitten* and I wish I still had them :C

They were so glossy. X-men animated also rocked the house.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Currently trying to find a Battlestar Galactica poster to put up in our living room.

Still awesome!
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Still awesome!

Haha I love it, my boyfriend and I said when we get married we need some geeky-ness or it just wouldn't be us, first idea was someone dressed as Frodo...as the ring bearer. Obviously the wedding rings need to be like the one ring...
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been on these threads waving my nerd flag too much recently. So I'll try not to get into it too badly. But count me in!

I am a Geek in the following areas: Beer (we brew), film, comics / graphic novels, music (play drums), literature (teach English), and probably a few more that I can't remember (maybe I should include cooking, eating, and drinking, a few reasons I'm on this web site to begin with...).
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There's a shortage of geeks on this site... bazinga
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Haha I love it, my boyfriend and I said when we get married we need some geeky-ness or it just wouldn't be us, first idea was someone dressed as Frodo...as the ring bearer. Obviously the wedding rings need to be like the one ring...
    Hahaha, that would be awesome!!!
  • Jurow
    Jurow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i'm 27 and still want to grow up to be batman feel free to add us
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, that would be awesome!!!

My wife and I were just married in June of last year. She is not a nerd and, knowing this, I threatened a LOTR-themed wedding for about four months prior to the event. We talked about a Frodo bearing the ring; every time she asked what I wanted, I said "the one ring, morder etchings and all; and I even threatened to make her Dad dress up like Gandalf, my Dad dress up like Aragorn, myself dress up like an Elf, etc. I guess she knew I was too lazy to pull it off, but you all know it would be the mad nooch if someone actually pulled it off!