900 calorie burn - up and down in weight

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so everyone keep quiet about the fact she's basically starving herself, because that's not what she asked, and this isn't a support forum on a website that promotes safe and sustainable weightloss. :huh:

So yeah, anyway. Weight fluctuations are normal.
    She is over 200lbs she has the stored energy to fuel her body for a long time still. She is eating 1300 cals and this gives her the micros she needs to stay healthy(this is the true reason behind the 1200min for weight loss).

How do you know 1300 cals is giving her everything she needs? 1200 is actually a minimum to net on MFP, not eat in total. So actually, she's netting 400 cals a day, which is 800 less than your idea of a healthy minimum.

People with a lot to lose can follow VLCD for a limited time (normally under medical supervision), but this is meant to be a lifestyle change, and MFP promotes healthy weight loss. It's all well and good telling her she can eat this way, but when she eventually gets shaky and tired and miserable and cannot workout properly and plateaus and starts binging, as so many on here that eat too little do, then that would have been some terrible advice.
    MFP won't put you below 1200 this is correct. And yes eventually she won't have the excessive fat stores and have to increase her cals to support her energy needs, but for now that is not the case.

Again the reason for cal minimums for people losing weight is to make sure they are getting enough micros to support health. A person regardless of cal intake can be micro deficient so to say increasing cals will ensure a healthy diet is silly.

I didn't say it would make a healthy diet. It's a healthy amount of calories to eat to lose weight. If she uses all those calories on krispy kremes and cheeseburgers, that's up to her, but then if we are going by your reasoning, how can you say that 1200 cals will give her 'enough micros to support health'? That's just as silly.

I notice you've completely ignored my comment about the 1200 cals. Here, I'll bold it out for you, just in case:

1200 is actually a minimum to net on MFP, not eat in total. So actually, she's netting 400 cals a day, which is 800 less than your idea of a healthy minimum.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Yeah, so everyone keep quiet about the fact she's basically starving herself, because that's not what she asked, and this isn't a support forum on a website that promotes safe and sustainable weightloss. :huh:

She is over 200lbs she has the stored energy to fuel her body for a long time still. She is eating 1300 cals and this gives her the micros she needs to stay healthy(this is the true reason behind the 1200min for weight loss).

How do you know 1300 cals is giving her everything she needs? 1200 is actually a minimum to net on MFP, not eat in total. So actually, she's netting 400 cals a day, which is 800 less than your idea of a healthy minimum.

People with a lot to lose can follow VLCD for a limited time (normally under medical supervision), but this is meant to be a lifestyle change, and MFP promotes healthy weight loss. It's all well and good telling her she can eat this way, but when she eventually gets shaky and tired and miserable and cannot workout properly and plateaus and starts binging, as so many on here that eat too little do, then that would have been some terrible advice.
    MFP won't put you below 1200 this is correct. And yes eventually she won't have the excessive fat stores and have to increase her cals to support her energy needs, but for now that is not the case.

Again the reason for cal minimums for people losing weight is to make sure they are getting enough micros to support health. A person regardless of cal intake can be micro deficient so to say increasing cals will ensure a healthy diet is silly.

I didn't say it would make a healthy diet. It's a healthy amount of calories to eat to lose weight. If she uses all those calories on krispy kremes and cheeseburgers, that's up to her, but then if we are going by your reasoning, how can you say that 1200 cals will give her 'enough micros to support health'? That's just as silly.

I notice you've completely ignored my comment about the 1200 cals. Here, I'll bold it out for you, just in case:

1200 is actually a minimum to net on MFP, not eat in total. So actually, she's netting 400 cals a day, which is 800 less than your idea of a healthy minimum.

My idea of a healthy minimum is not net. MFP chooses net as the way to measure and that is fine. I would prefer to say a healthy min is not cals but the appropriate amount of micros, fat, and protein in your diet.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    My idea of a healthy minimum is not net. MFP chooses net as the way to measure and that is fine. I would prefer to say a healthy min is not cals but the appropriate amount of micros, fat, and protein in your diet.

A healthy diet is defined as the appropriate amount of MACROS (carbs, fat and protien) giving sufficient MICROS (vit A, B, C, D, iron, calcium, etc) to support healthy body function. Just FYI.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options

A healthy diet is defined as the appropriate amount of MACROS (carbs, fat and protien) giving sufficient MICROS (vit A, B, C, D, iron, calcium, etc) to support healthy body function. Just FYI.
    I believe that is exactly what I wrote minus the carbs which are where most of the micros come from, soo, in reality they are already accounted for.
  • requestion
    requestion Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would guess you are eating more than you think. Make sure you are weighing EVERYTHING. No guesttimates. Also are you using a HRM? I teach Bodybalance and typically burn 100-150 calories. Usually less than if I'm hopping around my house doing errands since It's yoga based. 300-350 sounds way too high.

The flux can definitely be water weight. It's the worst...that can cause the bounce in weight. Lots of water. Lots and lots of water. :-)

I'm using a HRM and usually during the Bodybalance it shows around 300 for 55 minutes. I do weigh most things but then I get lazy with certain things as in my mind I believe that I can make an estimate but I'm guessing you are fully right when saying that you need to accurate and that you often eat more than you think. Thank you for your reply.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Can we not just agree that DirtyCurvesAh is right, as it appears to be her superpower to always be right.

What I'd really like to know is whether OP is actually losing weight under this current set up. Why is she worried about fluctuations when the trend should be a (fairly unhealthy) 3-4 pounds a week weight loss?
  • requestion
    Options

I'm not trying to starve myself here. I'm over 200 pounds, obviously starvation is not my issue. As I recently commented, this is only temporary as I have a lot of time on my hand. But thanks for the "kind" reply.
  • requestion
    Options
    The fact is, something is up with these numbers if OP isn't losing weight. Assuming an average height of 5'7'', she has a TDEE (couch potato) of 2084, so a daily burn of 2984, against a daily intake of 1300, giving a daily deficit of 1684 and a weekly deficit of 11,788 calories. This should equate to 3.4 pounds of weight loss a week. So, and this does answer OP's question, intake is being under estimated, or burn is being over estimated. Almost definitely both.

EDIT: Just realised that the average woman isn't actually 5'7''. Assuming a height of 5'4'' the TDEE would be 2027. It makes little difference to the calculation.

I see your numbers and I fully understand your arguments. Obviously I need to be more accurate with weighing absolutely everything but let's assume then that I miscalculated all of my food intake completely. Let's assume that i consume, 2000 calories per day but still average a 900 calorie burn. What would then be your explanation to weight fluctuations that high?
  • errorist
    Options
    As far as weight fluctuations go, they are rather normal. Similar to me anyway - my weight is up and down by around 3 pounds. It would probably move more if I bothered to hydrate properly.

As I said before though, is it working - are you losing weight?
  • requestion
    Options
    Can we not just agree that DirtyCurvesAh is right, as it appears to be her superpower to always be right.

What I'd really like to know is whether OP is actually losing weight under this current set up. Why is she worried about fluctuations when the trend should be a (fairly unhealthy) 3-4 pounds a week weight loss?

I've lost 5.5 pounds since I started 3 weeks ago. What I do not understand, as I have very basic knowledge of this whole process, is how i can gain 2 pounds in 1 day when working out as hard as i do. Fluctuations might not be a big deal to you but i'm trying to gain a better understanding of my body and why it reacts the way it does.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal for your weight to fluctuate by that much. Mine does sometimes. You're exercising a lot, so your muscles are probably retaining a lot of water to help them recover. Plus, as others have said, water retention depends on how much water you're drinking and how much sodium you've eaten. We ladies also retain water/bloat depending where we are in our cycle. Unless you're eating thousands of calories over your goal (which you're not), those pounds aren't fat.

People keep bringing up your net calories because we want you to be safe.
  • errorist
    Options
    5.5 pounds in 3 weeks is a great rate of weight loss. You are clearly getting a reasonable deficit in. If you want to learn more about the process, and how your body responds in a deficit, then you could try to log your food with a little more accuracy.

Personally, I weigh myself way too regularly, but I don't get too hung up on specific numbers. I'm just intrigued. I have one proper weigh in day a week - this is the one I record into mfp. This enables me to see the trend. All sorts of factors come into play on a day by day basis - water retention, where you are at with your digestion of your meals and 'bloating' (whatever that is... it's a woman thing, right?)
  • lauren3101
    Options

'Your idea' of a healthy minimum is your opinion, and therefore shouldn't be preached as gospel. You shouldn't be coming on here and telling someone who is quite obviously undereating that it's fine to do so. That's shameful.

And yes, obviously diet and macros determine a healthy minimum, but calories are a measurement of energy, and quite simply, if you burn more energy than you take in to the extreme, that is not healthy. What the OP is doing is not healthy, especially not long-term. I cannot understand why you criticize members that point that out and then promote a VLCD.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Recommended macros minimums
    Fat->0.4g/lb of body weight >84g = 756cals
    Protein->1g/lb lean body weight >100g? = 400cals
    Carbs-> 25g = 100cals these need to be vitamin and mineral dense carbs
    This is a total of 1256cals

Op these are minimums! As the others have said you can still lose weight and eat more. It makes it more sustainable and enjoyable if you do.
  • errorist
    Options
    Anyway, in crude terms, 3500 calories burnt = a pound of weight lost. Therefore 900 calories burnt = 0.25 pounds of weight lost. Over a week, it adds up, but on a day by day basis, water / sodium / general digestion factors win through.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options

'Your idea' of a healthy minimum is your opinion, and therefore shouldn't be preached as gospel. You shouldn't be coming on here and telling someone who is quite obviously undereating that it's fine to do so. That's shameful.

And yes, obviously diet and macros determine a healthy minimum, but calories are a measurement of energy, and quite simply, if you burn more energy than you take in to the extreme, that is not healthy. What the OP is doing is not healthy, especially not long-term. I cannot understand why you criticize members that point that out and then promote a VLCD.
    I love how VLCD is thrown around when someone is eating 1200 cals. LCD sure, VLCD no. It's like starvation mode, it's the fall back for people who only read these boards.
  • lauren3101
    Options

I love how VLCD is thrown around when someone is eating 1200 cals. LCD sure, VLCD no. It's like starvation mode, it's the fall back for people who only read these boards.

You don't think netting 400 cals is a VLCD?

picard-facepalm-o.gif
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options

picard-facepalm-o.gif
    Medical definition of a VLCD is a total cal intake of 800 cals or less. Sooo......:flowerforyou:
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I've lost 5.5 pounds since I started 3 weeks ago. What I do not understand, as I have very basic knowledge of this whole process, is how i can gain 2 pounds in 1 day when working out as hard as i do. Fluctuations might not be a big deal to you but i'm trying to gain a better understanding of my body and why it reacts the way it does.

I frequently gain 2lbs over the course of one day and then it comes off the next. It's straight up normal fluctuations; the food you've eaten over the day and the water you're holding on to can add up to 2lbs. If I'm on my period, I'm usually up 3lbs or more because my body holds on to extra weight. If I eat a ton of salt or am constipated, same thing. Today for example, I am 4lbs heavier than I was on Friday, because I had a lovely sodium binging weekend (traveling and fast food). I didn't gain 4lbs of fat with what I ate over the weekend, because I didn't eat that much over my maintenance and checked my measurements to be sure. If it is really freaking you out to see the normal fluctuations, weigh yourself less or check against your measurements, because that's a better indication.
  • lauren3101
    Options

picard-facepalm-o.gif
    Medical definition of a VLCD is a total cal intake of 800 cals or less. Sooo......:flowerforyou:

You're very focused on your 'definitions' aren't you? So because a website tells you a VLCD is 800 cals or less, you think that the OP is in fact eating normally and healthily? Sigh. I give up, it's clear you will never see that what you are encouraging is wrong. Perhaps you should start your own weight loss website, seeing as you apparently know more than MFP. :yawn: