We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day

Options
An espresso cup?

How many centilitres/litres constitutes this ambiguous MFP 'cup'?

Replies

• Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    1 cup is usually 8 ounces, about 225ml?
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    An espresso cup?

8 ounces = 1 cup. The rule of thumb though is really 1/2 your weight in ounces.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ah ... thank you! So about 2 litres. Thanks

Anyone know how much they compensate their exercise with? Do you drink an extra litre?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Anyone know how much they compensate their exercise with? Do you drink an extra litre?

I weigh before and after a run and drink the difference, on top of my other water intake for the day.
  • florentinovillaro
    Options

I've actually done testing on water intake. My indicator being urine color. I've found that 1/2 my weight in ounces is perfect and I've never gone "yellow". I also tried 32ounces less and still no change. Finally, another 32ounces down (or 1/4 my weight) and BAM, dark urine. I work out for 1 hour per day, 7 days.. Hope this helps you.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    An espresso cup?

Thanks, I cant get my head around ounces... for liquid strange to me, i only deal in ounces weighing ingredients when baking cakes :-) Fluid ounces?

My weight is 326 pounds, so thats 163 (fluid) ounces = 5 litres. That right?
    Are
  • Supadoopafly
    Options

I weigh before and after a run and drink the difference, on top of my other water intake for the day.

Great reply, thanks. I drink during my work out ... though.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I call a cup 250ml and aim for around 2 litres of water a day. Sometimes I get there, sometimes I don't. As long as my wee is a light straw colour I consider myself well hydrated.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Great reply, thanks. I drink during my work out ... though.

Still do it, see if there's a different from start to end even though you are drinking. This is what we all used to do while I was a competitive swimmer and sometimes with a hard two hour session even though I was drinking water throughout (and utterly sick of water by the end) there was still a loss that had to be compensated for.
  • florentinovillaro
    Options
    163floz to be exact, but I'll bet 128floz (1 gallon) will work for you.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    163floz to be exact, but I'll bet 128floz (1 gallon) will work for you.

Uh?

I really only deal with litres, millilitres and centilitres. I have nothing that measures gallons or ounces, hence the unit specifics in my original question. Nevertheless thanks :-)

I'll check my pee, weigh before and after exercise and aim for 2-4 litres per day. I think a I wanted to get around the ambiguity of "cups".
  • moritz7588
    moritz7588 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1 gallon ~4 liters.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Thanks, I cant get my head around ounces... for liquid strange to me, i only deal in ounces weighing ingredients when baking cakes :-) Fluid ounces?

My weight is 326 pounds, so that's 163 (fluid) ounces = 5 litres. That right?
    Are

No basis in science for drinking that volume of water (in fact there's no scientific basis for 8 cups / 2 litres per day either.....it's just easy to remember).............5 litres of water a day is probably excessive and at the very least you'll spend the whole day in the bathroom. There's also a slight risk that you can upset your electrolyte balance (google hyponatremia).

Don't forget that there's water in everything you eat which forms part of your fluid intake. Drink regularly throughout the day, you can judge your state of hydration by the colour of your urine (should be light, not necessarily clear) and by pinching the skin on the back of your hand to see how quickly is snaps back (less reliable as we age and lose collagen)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    32 oz = 1000 ml or 1 litre

I drink a minimum of 64 oz (2 litres) of water and aim for 96 oz (3 litres)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

My weight is 326 pounds, so that's 163 (fluid) ounces = 5 litres. That right?
    Are

No basis in science for drinking that volume of water (in fact there's no scientific basis for 8 cups / 2 litres per day either.....it's just easy to remember).............5 litres of water a day is probably excessive and at the very least you'll spend the whole day in the bathroom. There's also a slight risk that you can upset your electrolyte balance (google hyponatremia).

Don't forget that there's water in everything you eat which forms part of your fluid intake. Drink regularly throughout the day, you can judge your state of hydration by the colour of your urine (should be light, not necessarily clear) and by pinching the skin on the back of your hand to see how quickly is snaps back (less reliable as we age and lose collagen)

^^Listen to this guy