CARB FACE!

Options
These past few weeks I've gone out of control. I've downed whole loaves of bread in one sitting, ate 5 different kinds of pastries in one sitting and so much more. This has obviously caused me to gain weight and I have now developed a carb face! Have any of you experienced this? My face is just so fat! How do I get rid of this quickly? Totally bummed about this. I am getting back on the wagon! Eating at a deficit again (I was on maintenance already), changed my macros to lower carbs and chugging water like crazy!

My carb face has caused my confidence level to go waaaaaaay down. Need to know how to get rid of it quickly. :(

Any tips?

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I love bread at the moment...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like you said reduce them carbs and drink lots of water

Try and eat lots of veggies and fruits - Good carbs!

Not the naughty ones that we love : )
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding trite......stop eating so much. Depending on your body's ability to store glycogen you may be suffering from bloating due to water retention (1 g glycogen bonds with 3 g water for storage in muscle.....)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I (obviously) love bread too! Maybe too much. Lol I just absolutely love sinking my teeth into it! Biting into that fullness. Sigh.

Yes, I am doing that!

How much low carb should I do?

I'm 5'3", 113lbs( I was a steady 108 at the start of the year), sadly back on 1200 calories, sometimes sedentary, sometimes lightly active.

My macros right now are changed to 30% protein, 45% fat, 25% carbs (I don't reach full fat, I just did that so I could lower carbs. Good idea? Bad?)

I used to do 30% protein, 20% fat and 50% carbs.
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too am a bread lover, but just keep in mind that too much bread can also raise your A1C a lot. I don't know about you, but being forced to diet because of diabetes doesn't sound like much fun. I try to keep that in mind when I'm reaching for those extra dinner rolls, biscuits, slice of bread, etc.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    How do I get rid of this quickly?

You're asking the wrong question.

The questions you should be asking are: "why am I bingeing" and more importantly "how do I stop bingeing?"

Slow this process right down. Have a moderate calorie deficit. Once you have met your nutritional basis give yourself full permission to eat whatever you want with the remaining calories. Forget the idea of "good" or "bad" food. Understand that you are beautiful just as you are and embrace that positivity.

If that doesn't work come back and I, or someone else, can give you further techniques to use.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bloating face is awful when I have it too. Drinking water and cutting down foods that cause it help me, mine usually goes in a week unless I keep eating...
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Carbs make you retain excess water. The fat face you are seeing is bloat! Increase you're water consumption and drop your carbs to 100-150g per day and it should be gone quite quickly.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    I know I can't blame it on PMS but I reallyw as PMSing and really felt awfully hungry. I just couldn't stop. I'd normally shrug it off but this time it's really showing on my face! Looks like I gained 10lbs! Chipmunk looking thing. Lol Thanks for the tips guys!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, I doubt eating 5 pastries is making your face look fat. Take it as a learning experience, and do better tomorrow.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    I will! Thank you!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    This topic is old as dirt, but I went searching for "carb face" and this popped up.

HAHA, the phenomenon is real! Last week I was at my family reunion and had lots of pics taken. Face looked leaner, skin smooth. Over the last week I have been indulging in a ton of high calorie, high carb sweets (no guilt, no shame) and my water intake has been way below normal. Last couple days I've been looking in the mirror thinking "what the hell happened to my face?!". My face is bloated, skin is dull, and I'm looking pretty rough. I actually forgot how affecting sugar, in large quantities, can be. I actually burst out laughing this morning when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror looking like I've aged 10 years and gained 15 pounds since LAST WEEKEND. Got a right good chuckle.

It'll go down soon enough as I resume my usual eating and water intake. It's just a combo of water retention and, for me personally, sugar in excess over days or weeks has always done a number on my skin.