Am I too big for a rowing machine??

Options
Good morning - I don't usually post but need some help from those more experienced than I am.

I am working out at a gym and have tried incorporating the rowing machine into my workout. So far I'm down around 6 pounds in two weeks. However, I'm having major pain on the inside part of my right knee. My feet are secure, but it seems when I come forward that my stomach fat gets in the way and I have to almost open my legs to let the "fat" have more space and get the full range of motion. I don't think I'm getting a clean "back and forth" motion on the rower. Not only is this mortifying and embarrassing (I take off my glasses so I can't see if anyone's looking at me, and I can pretend they're not) but it's painful and I don't want to get injured and have to stop.

I'm only using a tension 3/10. My back gets sore but just the "right" amount of soreness - same with my arms.

It's not in the joint per se and I don't hear any crunching - it feels purely soft tissue. No clicking or snapping either. Just feels like the area is too tight and it's pulling. So I'm wondering if I'm too fat for the rower and should wait? I'm in the 220s and am 5'6".

As a side, on the days I row I do the following:

Warm up treadmill walk - 10 minutes
Elliptical warm up/moderate pace - 15 minutes

Stretch

Rowing machine - 15-20 minutes (pulling pain usually starts around the 5 min mark, but I just keep going)

Stretch

Triceps/Shoulder weight day

Stretch

Any input would be great. Thanks so much.

Replies

• Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your body can't distinguish which particular exercise or machine you are doing to increase your heart rate and get calories burned, so really the best cardio exercise to employ, is the one you will do and not completely hate!

It sounds like the rower isn't pleasant for you and is causing some pain. I would suggest you set it aside for now and return to it later and see if its any better on your body. In past I have found the rower to aggravate my back and frankly it's on the ground and I am almost 6 feet - too low for me to get down to and annoying to get up from!!!

All the best and ensure you remain focused on the resistance training aspect of your fitness program to increase metabolism and improve body composition
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Your body can't distinguish which particular exercise or machine you are doing to increase your heart rate and get calories burned, so really the best cardio exercise to employ, is the one you will do and not completely hate!

It sounds like the rower isn't pleasant for you and is causing some pain. I would suggest you set it aside for now and return to it later and see if its any better on your body. In past I have found the rower to aggravate my back and frankly it's on the ground and I am almost 6 feet - too low for me to get down to and annoying to get up from!!!

All the best and ensure you remain focused on the resistance training aspect of your fitness program to increase metabolism and improve body composition

^^ This - if you don't particularly like the rower use a different machine for the entire duration of your cardio - from what I see posted in cals burned by others the elliptical will give you a great calorie burn - knee issues are common in heavier people and this too will pass as you drop a bit more (or I hope anyway) - try the rower later when it's more comfortable
  • sarahcyr3
    sarahcyr3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    you don't always have to lean forward to start your stroke. you can modify the stroke so that it fits your body right now. The chain is pretty long. Just remember proper form : legs-arms-arms-legs. When I was in my college crew club we had some huge guys, around 6ft and 230-240lbs and they never had many problems when they kept proper form. When in doubt modify.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You don't sound too fat for the rowing machine but rather the structures around your knees (particularly the medial muscles) are not sufficiently developed to cope with your current level of training. Sounds like a classic over use injury to be frank.

I would suggest lowering the resistance, shortening the sessions and building up slowly over time. Get a good stretching routine, consider strengthening exercises for your smaller muscle groups and if you suffer pain then rest, apply ice and take anti inflammatories as necessary.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I actually enjoy the rower - but I was concerned about getting an injury that would affect my working out in general. I have other days where I do just walking (can't run to save my life, so I do intervals) or elliptical, or mix it up. The rower is part of the interval because I've heard such good things about it, and other than the knee thing everything else feels fine.

I do ice when I get home, and that does help. I take anti-inflammatories on a chronic basis due to other medical conditions, so I'd have to ask my doc if I should add a different anti-inflammatory. It may not be enough with the increased level of activity.

I will try to modify my motion. Going straight forward and back it just didn't feel like I was getting a full range of motion before my belly got in the way. Someone sent me a link via PM so I'll look at a few videos and see where I'm going wrong.

I will ask one of the trainers to maybe get me some other exercises that will strengthen the inner knees/knee structures - I do think msf74 has a point with that, as I've always felt I had weak knees. Strange that the elliptical doesn't murder my knees (just sore overall) but maybe it's also the positioning.

I feel wimpy when I drop tensions to 1 but I'll give it a try. It doesn't really feel like I'm working enough, though.

Thanks all for the great advice :flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I will try to modify my motion.

Form on the rower is really important, it's better to have correct form over a restricted range of motion, than to place your structure under strain. I would suggest that you accept that you can't get a full range forward, and aim to improve that over time. the back pain may be as a result of overdoing it at the back end of the stroke. Pull the bar into your belly button, but avoid pulling your shoulders back.
    I will ask one of the trainers to maybe get me some other exercises that will strengthen the inner knees/knee structures - I do think msf74 has a point with that, as I've always felt I had weak knees.

Squats and deadlifts, just bodyweight, will help both of these.
    I feel wimpy when I drop tensions to 1 but I'll give it a try. It doesn't really feel like I'm working enough, though.

I'd suggest increasing your resistance and slowing your stroke rate. you can then try to increase strokerate and distance by time, and you'll give yourself a more thorough overall workout.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The Concept2 website is an amazing resource for everything from proper form to advanced training programs. Check it out, poke around. Good luck! http://www.concept2.com