CARBS!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On Carbs, my usual link:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    >> Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.<<
    when i first seen this my mind read CRABS!!!!
    Me too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Who told you to aim for 20g? That sounds like the induction phase of Atkins, which is VERY extreme.

Carb sensitivity varies from one person to the next, so you will have to do some experimentation and see what works best for you.
    Around 100g per day would still be regarded by many as "low carb" - are you satisfied with the way things are? Are you losing weight? Do you find you have enough fuel for workouts?

^^^ this. I'm currently reducing my carbs. 100g-150g is ideal from a fat burning perspective (have a look at "Marks Daily Apple") ... and anything lower than 50g is going to be atkins like and possibly put the body into ketosis if sustained for a long period.

A deficit is the only thing ideal for fat loss. You can eat 100-150g of carbs a day, but if you are in a surplus, you won't be losing fat... you will be gaining new fat. Now from a diet adherence standpoint, it may be beneficial as it increases ones consumption of protein and fats which increase satiety and help with muscle retention, but from a purely weight loss perspective, lowering carbs just decrease glycogen/water storage.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I have read countless posts about Carbs...and I am told not to worry about them, but it is hard when I feel like I eat way too many. Yesterday I ate 200g (1400 calorie a day). But some days I don't eat a lot.

So what has helped me is looking at my weekly totals. I'm usually right around my weekly totals for Carbs when I look at the 7 day week as a whole.
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do not eat a lot of carbs because I have found this is what works best for me. I'm happiest, healthiest and least ravenous when I eat higher amounts of fat and protein than carbs.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but when they suggest 20 g carbs, it's NET carbs, right? That's total carbs minus fiber?

I've been struggling to get my net carbs under 100, and I didn't even think I was a carb nut.

New Atkins and in general, yes, NET carbs (which is carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols). Old school Atkins was total carbs. I wouldn't consider 100 net carbs, or even 125 net carbs to be someone who is a carb nut. Percentage wise, let's say you're eating 1500 cals a day and consuming 100 net carbs, that's only about 26% of your daily calories from net carbs (which, obviously, using total carbs it would up that percentage, but even so I don't consider that to be very high at all)
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I keep my refined carbs down because it seems to make me more hungry and have cravings. When I do I try to choose whole grain pasta, brown rice, whole grain bread, crackers, etc. I do eat bananas and fruit as well. I stick with protein to keep me full most of the time.

I'm attempting to eat clean, to avoid processed food, there are not tons of options out there for those less healthy carbs.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Carbs deserve their bad rap. Look around you at the size of the people who eat a lot of them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carbs deserve their bad rap. Look around you at the size of the people who eat a lot of them.

Thats a very gross generalization that doesn't hold any merit. People don't get obese from carbs, they get obese from too much food... that includes fats protein and carbs. In fact, many of us on the forums are rather fit and eat 200g+ of carbs each day. I am 15% body fat and still losing weight and I average 280gs.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Presuming a troll, but...
    u32_G2G-start.jpg
    Yea. Bloody weirdos.

Me; 232 today and on over 1000 calorie deficit still with 188 protein. 372 yesterday with a small deficit. Losing weight steadily AND getting fitter.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options

Actually its not a flat 20g
    An Atkins smack bar has say 17g crabs total. From that number you subtract dietary fiber (6g) and sugar alcoholics (9g). Which makes you net carbs 2g.

I didn't know Atkins bars had crabs. Heheehee
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!! Unless you have diabetes and, therefore, need a doctor to tell you how many carbs to eat, the amount you are eating is really good. Just try to eat more whole grains, fresh fruit and fresh veggies as your sources of carbs, and less white-flour/added sugar carbs, and you will do fine.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I keep my refined carbs down because it seems to make me more hungry and have cravings. When I do I try to choose whole grain pasta, brown rice, whole grain bread, crackers, etc. I do eat bananas and fruit as well. I stick with protein to keep me full most of the time.

I'm attempting to eat clean, to avoid processed food, there are not tons of options out there for those less healthy carbs.

I agree with this, but again, it's up to how you personally feel. Pay attention to how hungry you are on days when you eat more carbs/days when you have less.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs .-.
    Calories in vs. calories out.
    I'm going to go eat a bowl of spaghetti for dinner, and I'm not going to give a damn about it because I have 750 calories left for the day.
  • belle0226
    belle0226 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned from making my own mistakes trying to limit or cut out carbs will only end up hurting you if you are trying to exercise on a regular basis. It is more important as a woman to not deprive your body of the fuel it needs.