Do you record weight gains?

Options

Replies

• sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If the gain sticks around more than a day or 2 I own it. Which sucks because I'd love for my ticker to still say -151...but it will get back there again.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I only record losses.

If you record a gain, nothing gets posted on your news feed, but when you re-lose that pound you just gained, it gets posted. It bothers me when my MFP friends congratulate me on the same pound they congratulated me on last time.

I suppose I could just adjust my settings to not post any weight change, but I kinda like the atta girls for legitimate losses.

If I really fall of the wagon and gain an amount that stays there for a while, I fess up and record the gain.
  • bigbuckbob
    Options
    I am definitely going to try this - ie. logging only the weight losses. I've always logged both and have to admit that logging a weight gain first thing in the morning is not the best way to start my day.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    In short, YES, I record gains. However, I stopped frequent weigh ins because I can gain 5-8 lbs over a holiday/weekend and its all gone by Tuesday/Wed. In the beginning I felt funny about getting acknowledgments for losing water weight gains so I stopped recording.

Currently, I am weighing myself weekly as an effort to publicly be more accountable. I am happy around 200, crept up to 210 .... but thinking I should recommit myself to me original goal of 190 and see how I feel there. I will probably go back to less frequent weigh ins in April or 190. :-)
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I log my weight once/week on MFP, but weigh myself every morning/evening, just as a mental reminder to myself about my goals.

It's also interesting to see the daily fluctuations, depending on what I've eaten, when I've exercised, etc.
  • AmyML44
    Options
    I only record loses because if I see a gain it's usually only a pound or 2 and just due to the time of day I weighed or temporary water weight from too much salt. If I were to have gained say 3 lbs or more, I would log that.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    No. Too depressing. I was up and down the same pound all week too, so Im waiting to be just two pounces lower to record it..
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I logged a gain once. I hated it so much, I didn't log it again. Heck, I earned my weight loss. Gaining a little back doesn't negate it.
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and will record all weight changes that last for more than a couple of days.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I do not like to record weight gains *on this site* on the days they happen, I have found that it makes my mood suffer that day. But I do record my weight in my desk calendar every morning whether it is up or down and this doesn't bug me as much.

After a week or so, I go back and record each day's weigh-in in MFP. This way I can still have the graph that shows me all the ups and downs without having to deal with the emotional ups and downs of recording it on MFP each day (you can do this through "Edit Previous Entries"). I don't know why it bothers me so much to record it online even though logically I *know* there will be fluctuations, but it does, and so I avoid the mental/emotional stress and just log days when I have a loss and log all the other days retroactively.

This works for me for now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't. I know it's just water and it will go away 2 weeks later when it's time for me to lose again.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If it's period gains, I don't log it. I know it'll be gone in two weeks, and it's not "real" weight to me.

That being said, if I gain weight outside my normal period fluctuations, and it stays there for more than three days, I log it. Three days is long enough to know I didn't just eat a ton of salt or something and I'm actually going to have to work that weight back off.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale, which connects wirelessly to my computer, my Fitbit account and thus my MFP account. So as I weigh in every day, my weight changes here on MFP on a daily basis. I did turn off the notifications, as I didn't want people congratulating me on a "loss" which was really just getting back to where I had been, and they would be happening constantly with the daily ups and downs. But it IS motivating when my MFP ticker goes backwards ... gotta work harder to see a NEW number come up on the pounds lost!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Depends. If it's water weight or my TOM gain, I don't record it. If it's because I'm retaining food, I'll record it.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    yes, I record my weight every week, regardless.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I only record what I feel is a real weight gain. E.g. I took three weeks off from weighing both my body and my food and didn't track (I was on a vacation/cruise) so when I got back I weighed in and had gained something like 9lbs. I recorded the weight gain. But last week I was away in Vancouver for 4 days and gained 3 lbs but I know I didn't eat enough to have put that much weight on so I didn't record the gain, I'll wait until my weigh in on Friday and if it's still up then I'll record the gain.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record everything...the good, the bad and the ugly. I know there are going to be fluctuations, so I don't let the up ticks bother me. It helps me better figure out what is going on between the foods I eat and the number I see on the scale. I don't look at it as obsessive, but analytical.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do the same....
    I was feeling philosophical about my weight loss earlier and realised that I never record weight gains. If I go up a few pounds I'll feel frustrated but I never log it on MFP. I wait until my weight inevitably drops back down to what it says on MFP and then if I lose another lb I will log that. So sometimes I might be losing/gaining weight due to normal fluctuations, but overall if I've lost say 10 lbs then I can be sure I have definitely lost weight from my starting point. If every time I went up a lb I recorded it, I'd end up losing motivation. Knowing yourself that you need to get back to MFP weight before you can log a loss gives you more motivation to work harder. That's just how I've been thinking; what do you do?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My scale records it for me so I record it all, good or bad. The only time I didn't record a gain on MFP was when I packed on a substantial amount of water weight for a few days and I didn't want MFP advertising equally substantial "fake" losses to everyone on my list. I still recorded it offline though.

I just try to look at weight as one benchmark and not the end-all be-all indicator of my success or failure.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I did, but this week I decided I'm only going to weigh myself on Monday. That will be a realistic view.