Can you gain weight by eating too much fruit??

Options
I been eating a lot of fruit- I generally do as I love my fruit but I heard you can put on weight....I really hope this isn't true lol...anyone care to shed any light?

xx

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating too much of anything can make you gain weight.

That's why tracking your calories is a good idea
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight by eating too much of ANYTHING. It's the calories that make the difference. As long as you're not going over your calorie goal, you should be fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    it is simply calories in vs calories out. If all the fruit you are eating is still under your goal calories you will lose weight.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight by eating more calories than the amount you burn daily to maintain your weight. That can include calories from fruit, so yes, you can gain weight from eating too much fruit. Tracking everything you eat is the way to go!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You gain weight by eating too many calories. So if you eat too many calories from fruit you will put on weight the same way if you eat too many calories from Broccoli you'll put on weight. What loses weight is eating at a deficit the foods make no difference to weightloss they will effect overall health though
  • Micha121
    Options
    Oh darn it! Well I am definitely calorie counting (not the most enjoyable thing in the world) I tend to reach for fruit when I get a sweet craving- I have a major sweet tooth!!

At the moment it is all under my allowance and I'm exercising too!

xx
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight by eating too much of ANYTHING. It's the calories that make the difference. As long as you're not going over your calorie goal, you should be fine.

This
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes, comes down to the calories. Whether its chocolate or oranges, too much is too much. That said, you are not going to gain weight just because you eat fruit every day if it fits into your daily calorie intake. Make sure you are getting enough of everything else too, like vegetables and protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Oh darn it! Well I am definitely calorie counting (not the most enjoyable thing in the world) I tend to reach for fruit when I get a sweet craving- I have a major sweet tooth!!

At the moment it is all under my allowance and I'm exercising too!

xx

the point is that over consumption of calories beyond what your body needs to maintain will result in weight gain...those calories can come from fruit, vegetables, meat, grains...anything. It's the calories, not the particular food you are eating. Fruit is very nutritious and you should be getting a couple of servings per day...if you're hitting your calorie goals, you are fine...there are not particular foods that make you gain weight...over consumption makes you gain weight.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, nope. Also, preventing scurvy.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will not gain fat from eating fruit. You need to eat at a calorie surplus to gain fat.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Is this a Real Question or are we being tested here lol...