Prescription Steroids and Struggling!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off prednisone and other steroids for lung issues, when I started losing I was taking a very large dose daily and yes it does increase your hunger, for me this is where logging really helped.

My body had no clue if I was hungry or not, but I set the amount of calories I was eating and when I hit that number I stopped. I lost about 50 lbs while on them, now luckily because my health has significantly improved I was able to stop taking them.

Good Luck to you!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have battled with breathing issues since November and have been on countless steroid injections as well as oral steroids. I am currently on Medrol for my breathing and will continue to be on it for 6 to 8 more weeks. As you can probably guess, my appetite is through the roof. I have not had any type of caffeinated drinks since December, the only beverage I drink is water, and I try to eat lots of protein during the day. My MFP set me to 1290 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week; however, I was literally starving all the time due to the medication. I changed my settings to lose .5 pounds a week and I am currently at 1590 calories a day and seem to still struggle to stay within the limits. I am not entirely concerned with losing weight while I am taking this medicine (although it would be nice), but rather keep from gaining any weight. I guess I am wondering if anyone else has struggled with taking medication that makes you hungry and how you stay within your limits. Any advice would be appreciated!

I understand 100% what you are saying ( just had my knee injected this morning with Cortisone, since I have Lupus and RA ).
    I belong to a Autoimmune Disease support group and for the last two years the facilitators have stressed over and over that the increase of appetite from certain medications is no indication of real hunger. This means that we have a choice; a choice to give in the artificial craving for food or to practice what they call " avoidance techniques " to not eat more thn the calories we need to stay well and healthy.
    I eat 1200 calories a day of whole foods ( which is a lot more food by volume than a diet that includes processed foods ) mainly because I am over 65 and under five feet and have lost over 45 pounds since the middle of last April, even though I take among other medicines several 100 mgs of cortisone/steroids and Dexemathasone not including the shots a day.
    Weight loss under those difficult circumstances was possible for me, once I realized that I could out trick my appetite and eat within my calorie deficit. My food log is open....in case you are interested. The low calorie days are " 5:2 " days.

ETA: I should add that since Lupus has affected my lungs and RA my hips and knees I exercise modestly walking about 45 minutes each day. I do however really watch my food intake, since from past experience I know that the right diet allows a better weight loss than most exercise. I have since I started ten month ago not have had a cheat meal or day ( which I feel I don't need, because I eat exactly the things I like, having eaten whole foods all my life that is not a problem ) and have only gone over my calories maybe twice by no more than 200 calories. I can only speak for myself, but can say that that regimen has worked well for me.
    I know many people who have in the past told me that cheat meals and days are necessary to stay the course. Often those are younger people who do not have chronic/incurable illnesses who do not understand that under certain circumstances general rules do not always apply.
    I wish you the best of luck and success on your journey !
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Your type of steroids is nothing like those used by athletes. Not even close so stop using that as an excuse for overeating.
    You've never been prescribed them, have you?
    no, I've used the real stuff and know the difference

You don't even know what your talking about. So move on. The real stuff, she isn't talking about steroids that muscle heads take, she is talking about steroids for a medical condition. A totally different drug.