Controlling Emotional Eating!!! - Anyone have any good tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this all of my life, which, I guess, is why I am on MFP. In any case, when I was relatively new on my journey, I would find some activity that soothed me instead of eating. In my case, I have always loved walking because it gives me a chance to vent out loud (you should hear the conversations I have with people when I am by myself!). Anyone walking by me would think I was nuts but, it really helped. Anything that can help you with frustration or anger(the weeds in my garden really take a beating when I am emotional). Anyway, now that I am close to goal, I have purchased quite a few new beautiful clothes that show off my figure and my collar bones(which I re-discovered). Now, when I get too emotional and want to eat stuff I really shouldn't, I look at my new clothes, even put some on and look at myself in the mirror. Do I want to go back to the size I was? HELL NO!!! Is the frustration or person causing the frustration worth me not being able to wear these clothes? HELL NO!!
    Good luck and hang in there. Believe me, it will get better. Easier, no, but better!
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have struggled, and still do struggle. It isn't a daily struggle, but more of a minute by minute struggle. I have been through so much therapy I could write a book about it. When I was single living alone, I would hide food in my own house even though no one would ever know. I now do the same but hide from my husband. Turns out, I grew up in a family who knew about my eating disorder and the hiding but would never talk about it. Now, so my husband is that way too with me. I'm struggling and keeping my journal as honest as I can be.

I agree that determining the REASON for it is going to be very helpful, but that takes time so while you are working on figuring that out, you can work to control or change the habits, or the symptoms if you will.

In my opinion, the first thing is to be honest with what you are eating, and track every single bite, sip, gulp, binge. It sucks. I won't lie. But when you see the damage in a tracker, it opens your eyes. Second, when you are grocery shopping, take a friend with you who will kindly help you stay on your list. MAKE THE LIST. You don't want someone who is going to make you feel bad for wanting to make that bad choice, but you want that one friend, or family member to help you be mindful of the change you are seeking. For me, it was my Dad. And he was my worst influencer but once I told him I needed to change he then stopped trying to be my saboteur.

Determine your trigger events, situations, foods. Write it down anywhere you can. Keep your goals visible to you in your house, your desk, car. Anywhere you are, put a reminder. I put up a stop sign for me to remember to STOP and think before I eat. I also put a picture of me on my wedding day on my refrigerator as a reminder of what I looked like, reminding me of how I felt.

Gum chewing for me doesn't work because all I do is eat the entire pack at one sitting. I have an addictive personality and clearly have no control over anything I attempt to eat that has ANY kind of sugar so I stay away from it now. I also realized I was using food for the personality flaw of my need for instant gratification. Food instantly comforts, where as calling a friend doesn't always do that....

I sure hope this helped even a little. Feel free to message me or friend me if you want. I know how much it hurts to realize the "OH #X#X! what did I do".
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I emotionally eat. Hardcore. I found other outlets for my emotions and most of the time they work. I use comedy and writing to vent my frustration so I don't go bananas and eat. Another option is I personally use Overeaters Anonymous. They have online forums of you don't feel like walking in.

Sometimes you don't gain control until after the destruction is done and all you can do it get up, brush off the crumbs and keep on trucking. You are only human and some things are a little overwhelming.

Keeping a journal helps, it assists you in pinpointing when you go for the kill ( hit the kitchen up for the goodies) and what led you to it. It may take a long time for you to figure out your trigger foods, situations and how to keep things in balance so no one dies...with a spork to the forehead.

Emotional eating is a pain in the assets. If you need a laugh or two add me as a friend. We can laugh it off, or cry. Either one burns calories :)
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with emoitnal eating most of my life. When my boufriend of 4 years moved out of state, it hit me hard. I started eating... SHOCK! Once I came to the realization of what I was doing, I made a big change. When my emotions were starting to get to me, I laced up my sneakers and went for a walk. Not only did it counter-act the eating that I would have done, it gave me time to think and work through the emotions. Walking eventually turned into running and I was able to really find a calm in myself when I didn't have other things to distract me, like food.

I worked for my, hopefully it may give you something to consider.
  • skyfall91
    Options
    I struggle too -seriously I have just spent october til yesterday over eating and gained 14lbs! Today is day 2 of no binge eating/emotional eating and Im going to stick to it. What im doing is intermittent fasting - eating between 12pm and 8pm and thats helping alot. I used to eat this way before I slipped up so I know it helps me. I let myself know I can have the "bad" food but I need to wait for my meal times and not snack. Knowing I can have some biscuits or pasta is great and then I dont go crazy and over eat on them. Im also trying to use my treadmill as a new source to vent out any emotions. I hope you do well and get back on track x
  • caenis
    caenis Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm also an emotional eater. When I started this journey in November, it was hard. REALLY hard to break myself of eating when I was bored or stressed or upset. Then I realized that food doesn't love me like I love food. It doesn't care if I'm upset, stressed, or bored. It has zero emotional investment in my body and I have a huge emotional investment in my body. And despite everything, what it came down to was that I had gained weight because I had willingly put food into my mouth. That means, I can willingly NOT put food into my mouth.

I started paying attention to myself a bit more and began to recognize when I was hungry because I needed fuel and when I was looking for a snack because I was bored. Working out made me hungry; sitting around made me bored. So I decided to make a list of things to do when I was bored. Vacuum, laundry, clean bird cages-anything to move my butt and forget the snack. I starting drinking a glass of water when I felt snacky. I cut up cucumbers and made little baggies of that or frozen grapes to grab if I couldn't resist the urge.

Then something crazy happened. I was bored one day and didn't want anything to snack on. I wanted to work out, I wanted to clean windows, but a snack never occurred to me.

So my advice is to break up with food and find something you really enjoy to take its place. Use food for fuel to keep you strong enough to do the fun thing you've started doing. Take a class, write a book, learn to swim--anything you have ever wanted to do.

You can do this!

Thanks great advice!
  • HeathIsKey2014
    Options
    That is a great idea!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the people that have contributed this thread. I have been dealing with emotional eating since I started this weight loss journey nearly 10 years ago... and still deal with it today. I know I will continue dealing with it, and that I am still learning how do deal with it. I've had a rough year, so the emotional eating has been taking it's toll (nearly 20 pounds above my lowest weight).

The one thing that works for me (when I actually do it!) is to keep a little 8x5 notebook with me. I can jot down my hunger levels, take a moment to ask myself if I'm truly hunger and if I'm not, then why do I feel the need to eat. Helps to keep from overeating and usually helps me pinpoint which emotion is causing me to turn to food. Also gives me a chance to explore other options (is it a problem I can solve, or one I have no control over? will taking a walk help? Speaking with a friend? etc...). Yes, it's a time-conusming process, but for me (again, when I actually do it) it does wonders to curb the emotional eating and sets me up to have a good day... physically, emotionally and mentally.

Good luck to all of you who deal with this! In my opinion, it's one of the hardest aspects of weight loss to overcome!
  • HeathIsKey2014
    Options
    The response to this post is overwhelming - the good thing is I know I am not alone and there appears to be plenty of online support. I plan on putting many of these suggestions into action!.
  • losing4goodnow
    losing4goodnow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Then I realized that food doesn't love me like I love food. It doesn't care if I'm upset, stressed, or bored. It has zero emotional investment in my body and I have a huge emotional investment in my body.

I love this!!!! I've never thought about it like that but you're right; food doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about our bodies. Thank you for that; I needed to hear that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!