Stubborn lower belly fat qustion

Options
Any great suggestions on how to get rid of stubborn lower belly fat?? It seems no matter how much I exercise it's impossible to lose it... Maybe I'm not doing the right exercise for it. I'ts so discouraging :( Any ideas??

Replies

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    are you in a calorie deficit? There is no 1 exercise that will eliminate belly fat. Just keep at doing full-body workouts to target every muscle group to bring down your body's overall fat %.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since it isn't possible to target fat loss, just follow the same approach as for fat located elsewhere - calorie control, cardio, and full-body strength training. Which strength program are you following?
  • RayF24
    RayF24 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels 6week.6pack ab video, about 4 times a week, which includes some cardio. I also do the eliptical for extra cardio. I definitely notice my abs/muscles are so much stronger, but theres still a lot of fat over it that I can't seem to get rid of.
  • RayF24
    Options
    what do you mean by calorie deficit?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Eating less calories than you burn.

JM videos aren't really strength training. Mostly, they're really additional cardio.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels 6week.6pack ab video, about 4 times a week, which includes some cardio. I also do the eliptical for extra cardio. I definitely notice my abs/muscles are so much stronger, but theres still a lot of fat over it that I can't seem to get rid of.
    You can do cardio all day long, but if you aren't burning more than you're consuming in a given day then you will never burn any belly fat.

You can use this site to set up your weight loss goals and it will tell you how many calories you can eat every day depending on how much you exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Your body requires a certain number of calories to maintain itself...when your energy (calorie) consumption is below that number you lose weight.

Example...I maintain my weight with all of my activity on about 2600 - 2700 calories per day. Right now I'm at a healthy BF% but if I wanted to drop a couple more points I would shoot for a deficit of around 250 calories per day to lose around 1/2 Lb per week (going faster at the moment would just result in me losing more muscle mass rather than the little bit of fat around my midsection)...si I would consume in the neighborhood of 2,350 - 2,450 calories per day and lose a bit of fat slowly.

If your'e already relatively lean it is going to take time...people literally work for years on their midsections. I would personally start a full body compound lifting program along with your cardio. Cardio, cardio, cardio isn't going to re-comp your body...weight training or otherwise performing some kind of intelligently laid out resistance training will.
  • RayF24
    Options