pre-workout energy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer that said an apple about 45 minutes before the work out. It really worked great for me and he worked my butt off for a full hour and I was good until I got home.

Come to think of it, mine said that too (but 30 minutes prior). I might add an apple and see what happens. Thanks for the reminder : )
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Are C4 and Spark both at GNC?
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Spark you can only purchase through an Advocare Distributor. C4 you can get at GNC.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nookie.

I prefer my energy boost in a more au natural state. ;)

that and good old fashioned "just do it"
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Spark you can only purchase through an Advocare Distributor. C4 you can get at GNC.

Also, to become a distributor it is $75 to get the kit, which comes with Spark and Slam samples, but you automatically get 20% off of your purchases. So $60 for Spark after shipping and tax turns into $49.61 after shipping and tax. Based on what you sell or buy for yourself in a given period you can get up to 40% off all your orders. So as a distributor the absolute most you'll ever pay for a canister is $50.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I like buzzerk by complete nutrition or I just started using Neon Volt sold at GNC. I like it and doesn't make you feel like you are on crank.....tried Jack3D once and thought my heart was going to explode....I dont recommend it. Purest have told me just a cup of straight black coffee but hate the taste of that.

I second Neon Volt. I used to take BSN's NO Explode 2.0 but I didn't really like the creatine in it. The Volt doesn't give me the jitters
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for something to get going before a workout? I've tried the gummies and jelly beans, not so much. occasionally i'll cheat on a monster and that usually rocks me out :)
    Maybe focusing on what will be doing for that workout and convincing yourself that you will get it done? Yes there will be times one will need extra energy, and that's where food comes in. But pre energy workouts are nothing but a bunch of stimulants disguised as "energy" drinks.
    I always say check your attitude first. If you're mentally going into it with a half assed attitude, then expect the workout to be that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I had a personal trainer that said an apple about 45 minutes before the work out. It really worked great for me and he worked my butt off for a full hour and I was good until I got home.
    There you go. Fruit is a good pre workout.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Black coffee and a banana does the trick for me. It's pretty cheap, too!
    Another winner.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But pre energy workouts are nothing but a bunch of stimulants disguised as "energy" drinks.

...not that there's anything wrong with that... :wink: :bigsmile:

Edit: I'll take B-12 over late day coffee anytime.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    When I really need energy I do small apple with a tablespoon of raw almond butter and green tea or black coffee . Once I get to my workout and get going the energy from the group is always a fantastic motivator.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup coffee and slice of raisin bread toasted every day before my workout at 0630AM.
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Piece of fruit (apple or grapes usually) and a cheese stick on my way to the gym. Protein shake with soy milk about 30 minutes before I leave. I agree with checking your attitude. If I am not in the right place mentally, it's probably because I am fatigued and need a break. If my head isn't in it, I have more opportunity to hurt myself. Best to just chill and do something low-key. If I can't get my energy naturally, from food, then it's not gonna happen for me that day. I'm OK with that.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just asked my nutritionist/trainer this question today. She said a plain old banana will give you enough quick energy to get you through a workout. Any simple carb with low fiber is best, she said. She also suggested a sports drink with carbs during the workout, if you must.

I tried to work out after eating a bowl of Grapenuts with raisins and skim milk a few days ago. I definitely WON'T be doing that again. I had indigestion the entire time I was working out.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Caffeine and coffee are the cheaper options, but not the best in my experience. Coffee gives me acid reflux, makes me paranoid, jittery, and the energy doesn't sustain well. Caffeine pills make me feel like I've taken too much cough medicine, and I get a very unpleasant high feeling.

The preworkout supplements blow caffeine pills and coffee away, but they are expensive, especially if you buy them at GNC. Moreover you may build a tolerance to the supplement pretty quickly and end up using a month's supply in half a month or less. You could become psychologically dependent on them - i.e. can't workout without them. Some of the ingredients in some preworkout supplements may not be safe either. One that comes to mind is the DMAA in Jack3d: http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/11/17707934-deadly-workout-supplement-jack3d-outside-fdas-reach?lite

The non drug/supplement solution is to do 5-10 minutes of light cardio until you break a sweat and get your heart rate elevated.