ABS how many times a week?

Options
Hubby is tryin to convince me to do 500 abs (crunches, situp, etc.) a day. I feel like that's overkill.

Opinions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Probably overkill, yes.

What benefit is he hoping you'll get from it?
  • Spyderbaby
    Spyderbaby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    500?! A day?! He goes first.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Did you ask him why he thinks you should do that at all? Is there a specific goal you're looking to achieve or just for the challenge of it?
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I collect weight in my tummy. I know that you can't spot reduce... but I don't think he is quite there yet. I think he thinks I can shrink my tummy (belly to be honest) by doing a kajillion abs. My thought is that if i don't get rid of the fat over it it won't matter...

And FTR, he does the 500 abs daily :(
  • Spyderbaby
    Spyderbaby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Then he should know better.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Fun fact, sit-ups activate your hip flexors more than your abs!

Anyway, just keep re-iterating that you can't spot reduce. Be confident. He is wrong, you are right!

Just like you said, gotta just lose overall bodyfat in order to lose belly fat. Personally I find heavy squats and deadlifts to be a better abdominal workout than sit ups anyday!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hubby is tryin to convince me to do 500 abs (crunches, situp, etc.) a day. I feel like that's overkill.

Opinions?

That's about 500 too many.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lose body fat..

work abs about 1x a week

lift heavy with compound movements…
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Do 75 hanging pikes and make the rest of your abs in the kitchen instead.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Opinions?

That's about 500 too many.

^my thoughts exactly. Screw that!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NEVER
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Most people I've met who have visible abs don't do direct ab work. I'd venture to say the biggest thing you'll get from 500 crunches a day is bored. If your goals we're bodybuilding, by all means, do direct ab work. But it's not gonna make your stomach flatter.

Moderate deficit and cardio and or strength training you enjoy and you'll stick with. Rinse and repeat. That's the equation for a smaller waistline.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    There are so many more effective things that you can do for your abs than situps and crunches, why on earth would you do 500 of them?

Do some resistance-based (re: holding something heavy) ab exercises and do it 2-3 times a week.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, sit-ups activate your hip flexors more than your abs!

Anyway, just keep re-iterating that you can't spot reduce. Be confident. He is wrong, you are right!

Just like you said, gotta just lose overall bodyfat in order to lose belly fat. Personally I find heavy squats and deadlifts to be a better abdominal workout than sit ups anyday!

Deads are great for abs. So is kicking, punching, yoga inversions.....
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I only target my abs specifically on rare occasion. I feel like most of the exercises I do work my core, but I have noticed in the past that working them tooich seems to give me a thicker midsection. Just my experience.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Most people I've met who have visible abs don't do direct ab work. I'd venture to say the biggest thing you'll get from 500 crunches a day is bored. If your goals we're bodybuilding, by all means, do direct ab work. But it's not gonna make your stomach flatter.

Moderate deficit and cardio and or strength training you enjoy and you'll stick with. Rinse and repeat. That's the equation for a smaller waistline.

agree..I target mine once a week but that is because that is my "non lifting day' and I am bored….
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I don't do abs.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Twice a week
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'll ab-wheel once or twice a week as a derping around accessory exercise.

500 crunches? That's crazy-talk.