Made it over a year but cant take it anymore.

Options
Started losing over a year ago and lost a total of 62 pounds, go me!
Problem is..Im so burned out and done with all of this.

i recently started upping to maintenance by 100 calories a week which Im going to start with TDEE which I estimate around 1700 calories. I also purchased a FitBit.

Here's the problem, Im just so tired and burned out.
I cant sleep lately and my muscles are ALWAYS sore, I feel so weak and done and don't want to calorie count anymore and just want to eat. Im just so ravenous and I even now want to get out of bed to eat everything in the house because Im just so hungry, tired, and weak & stressed. This has been going on for months and months.

Now with the fitbit it has me wanting to move even more obsessivly.. I get paranoid if I dont move enough when my steps are under, and I feel like I cant eat more food --- then Im more tired and it becomes a cycle.

Then im afraid if I take a break Ill gain more weight.

I'm 5'2, 106LBS, Female and before I got fitbit I was walking 30 - 40 minutes 1 - 2 times a week and going to the gym on the Arc Trainer for an hour 1 - 2 times a week.

I tried strength training 1 - 2 times a week because I want to work on body comp but it made me feel weaker.

Now that I have it, Im doing the gym 1 - 3 times a week and walking over 2 hours to try to get to the 10,000 steps and its been calculating my maintenance way under what I thought weekly...

Maybe I need a blood test or something but im TERRIFIED of needles.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you just need to stop. Take a week, put the fitbit away, and relax. Don't track your calories. Don't worry about exercise. If you want to work out, then fine. If you don't want to, then don't.

One week will not undo any of the great work you've done, and it will be amazing for your mental health.

After that week is up, then just roll on into maintenance. Ignore inevitable water weight, and enjoy life! It's too short to be stressed out over calories.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely think you need to give yourself a break whether it be a day a week or a month you just need that for yourself. I get obsessed with all this counting and make myself miserable sometimes and I just give myself a day to eat that bit more or something I have been craving.

And great work so far - you have been doing it a lot longer than me and I already feel like that some days

Good luck xxx
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Experiment with not logging or using the FitBit. I haven't logged in about a year because I was obsessed with getting in under that calorie goal instead of just listening to my body and eating healthily. I've continued losing at roughly the same rate, but I feel much healthier and happier now that I'm just being a bit careful and keeping a more general idea of how much I'm eating instead of counting every last calorie.

That might not work for you, so that's why I say "experiment". If you can do it without allowing it to be an excuse to just go crazy and eat everything, because "YAY, no logging it!" then I'd say don't. Find another strategy. But it might be worth trying if your quality of life is suffering that badly.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I guess. But if I dont have logging to keep me accountable I can literally eat 5,000+ calories a day no lie...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    you have done great and taking a week off seems ok to me, but I would also suggest, if you can, to go get a physical - could there be something else going on? Sounds a lot like the descriptions of how a friend felt when she was first prego.....

Your body or mind or both are trying to tell you something - try to listen
  • Makoce
    Options
    Definitely not pregnant. But I feel I might need a doctors appointment or something..
    its definitely not normal because I was super active even when I was over weight
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    5'2", 106. Those are very lean numbers. It sound as though you have been very disciplined and done a great job in losing the 62lbs, congrats.... Are you have a diet cheat day? I leaned out a while back, 10%bf and got very burned out as well until my trainer looked at my diet and noticed i had no cheat day built in. With a cheat day where I can eat anything I want, my burnout syndrome went away and my mental state improved.

I also agree that it could be time for a week away from working out and fitbit. It will not hurt you and may do you good mentally and physically. I also agree with you, see your Dr., get a physical and confirm there is nothing else going on...
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I guess. But if I dont have logging to keep me accountable I can literally eat 5,000+ calories a day no lie...

You know enough to know what good choices are and what bad choices are. Eat what you've roughly been eating, and make decent choices when it comes to extras. ie. you know one brownie is sufficient as opposed to the entire pan. :flowerforyou:
  • Makoce
    Options
    5'2", 106. Those are very lean numbers. It sound as though you have been very disciplined and done a great job in losing the 62lbs, congrats.... Are you have a diet cheat day? I leaned out a while back, 10%bf and got very burned out as well until my trainer looked at my diet and noticed i had no cheat day built in. With a cheat day where I can eat anything I want, my burnout syndrome went away and my mental state improved.

I also agree that it could be time for a week away from working out and fitbit. It will not hurt you and may do you good mentally and physically. I also agree with you, see your Dr., get a physical and confirm there is nothing else going on...

I eat whatever I want within goal though so its not like a deny myself anything to where I need a cheat day.
    And at maintenance, if I go over once a week wont that put me in the category of gaining?

I just got the fitbit like 4 days ago too, haha
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some serious R&R. I log everyday but I don't stress over the calories; I just like logging and I like knowing I'm at 905 day of logging. I do allow myself rest though from working out. I go 3 wks hard then take a week off during "that time of the month". I log my food but don't workout and don't stress over not working out during that recovery week. I treat myself at least 1 day during the weekend to something sweet; and during ceartain days of the year... Mother's day, anniversary, BDay I don't workout. My point, I believe everyone should take time off from working out at least 1/wk and should enjoy a treat.
  • Makoce
    Options
    If Im eating at TDEE which accounts for weekly exercise, though, what do I do if I take the week off as far as how much to eat, though..
  • KCharron20
    Options
    Taking a week off is a great suggestion. When I had my trainer, he always said that everyone should take a week off every couple of months. It gives your body a chance to recover and has a tendency to jump start things. Also, I took a peek at your food diary, I would suggest upping your protein. Doing so will keep you fuller longer and maybe help with being hungry all the time.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I eat whatever I want within goal though so its not like a deny myself anything to where I need a cheat day.
    And at maintenance, if I go over once a week wont that put me in the category of gaining?

You're at a VERY low bodyweight, even for your height. I know how hard it is to switch from "OMG DROP POUNDS! I'm dropping pounds! This is what I wanted! I CANNOT GAIN THOSE POUNDS BACK!!" mentality, to one of "Hey, if I gain strength and can lift more, who CARES if my weight is 5lbs up? I'm STRONGER!"

If you're beginning to incorporate weight training into your activity, that's AWESOME. It'll bring about a smaller, tighter body, and you'll be able to eat more calories at maintenance than you could without the muscle. If I were you, I'd toss the scale, and pick a pair of Measure Jeans. Jeans you fit comfortably now, that aren't tight, but aren't loose. Use THOSE as a measure instead of a scale, which will mess with your head a LOT LESS. Also, if you want to monitor your body, take progress photos of yourself. You are now at a weight which you will not maintain if you lift weights, and that's OKAY. Focus less on numbers and more on how your body looks and feels.

Regarding your burnout: TAKE TIME OFF. Even competitors training for shows have a cheat meal most weeks. One guilt free meal, where they eat whatever their body wants. This is a mental release, and it has physical benefits as well. If you're over it, take a break.
    Take a week. No monitoring food. Just live. Eat in moderation, but don't assign BAD FOODS or have guilt if you enjoy things. Workout if you have the energy. If you have to choose between cardio and lifting, lift. See where your head is after the week, and post again letting us know how you are!
  • mufamuscles
    Options

Maybe you could do some compromise between logging meticulously and not logging at all, like just writing down what you ate at each meal (not calorie counts) in a notebook rather than tracking everything with the calorie counts in MFP? That way, you would be semi-accountable but wouldn't be able to obsess over calories.
  • tegalicious
    Options

You're at a VERY low bodyweight, even for your height. I know how hard it is to switch from "OMG DROP POUNDS! I'm dropping pounds! This is what I wanted! I CANNOT GAIN THOSE POUNDS BACK!!" mentality, to one of "Hey, if I gain strength and can lift more, who CARES if my weight is 5lbs up? I'm STRONGER!"

If you're beginning to incorporate weight training into your activity, that's AWESOME. It'll bring about a smaller, tighter body, and you'll be able to eat more calories at maintenance than you could without the muscle. If I were you, I'd toss the scale, and pick a pair of Measure Jeans. Jeans you fit comfortably now, that aren't tight, but aren't loose. Use THOSE as a measure instead of a scale, which will mess with your head a LOT LESS. Also, if you want to monitor your body, take progress photos of yourself. You are now at a weight which you will not maintain if you lift weights, and that's OKAY. Focus less on numbers and more on how your body looks and feels.

Regarding your burnout: TAKE TIME OFF. Even competitors training for shows have a cheat meal most weeks. One guilt free meal, where they eat whatever their body wants. This is a mental release, and it has physical benefits as well. If you're over it, take a break.
    Take a week. No monitoring food. Just live. Eat in moderation, but don't assign BAD FOODS or have guilt if you enjoy things. Workout if you have the energy. If you have to choose between cardio and lifting, lift. See where your head is after the week, and post again letting us know how you are!

Took the words right out of my mouth...
  • 95to5percent
    95to5percent Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have done soooo well. Good Job!!! Maybe you need a physical? Are you eating 30 grams of protein in Am and protein at each meal? Take some time to just love yourself.....watch your portions, see your doctor.The good life choices and habits are what will keep you at a healthy, happy weight. Obsessing can get you there, but will wear you out in the long run. that is why we go back to old weights--We get tired, bored, and find a new number on the scale does not necessarily give us the results we are looking for. YOU have done it--now what? enjoy your life.
  • Makoce
    Options

I know! My goal weight was never 106. But I was so unhappy and still am with the huge amount of belly fat I have.
    Ive been trying to do strength training at maintenance but t makes me feel even more weak during the week to where I cant even lift a 5LB weight.

Then on top of it I get discouraged because I cant eat as much strength training as I can burning calories out with cardio.

I was never sure if I even could put on muscle because all I have is 2 15LB dumbbells and I have no idea if that's enough / and or how exactly to do a program at my home that will give me results.

... and to be honest ... I really dont like lifting weights either so the motivation lacks LOL
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I have to agree with this. I'm a super structured dieter: I thrive on tracking every single calorie eaten or exercised, I have set foods that I stick with (no "treats in moderation" for me), I love having rules that I follow, etc, and even I need a break sometimes. Going on maintenance was hella confusing and difficult (I just had a baby so am starting over). I don't know how you feel about lifting, but for me, just starting with body weight exercises (squats, push ups, lunges every day) changed my body composition DRAMATICALLY. I went from a jeans size 9/10 to 5/6 in about 6 weeks. I didn't lose a pound, but looked so amazing I didn't care. That helped me!
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ^^^Somehow I removed that the first part was a quote.
  • Makoce
    Options
    How many did you do every day?