advice for weightloss(obesity)

Options
hello:)
so i have a couple of questions.
i want to lose body fat but im not sure what kind of exercise to do. ive been doing cardio and weights for about 2 weeks but not exacly weight training i have just been lifting 5 pound weights for my arms and using them when i do squats. do i keep doing cardio and then when i lose a good amount of weight do i start weight training or do i do weight training now? or is there other types of exercise for obese women?
sw:208
cw:192
gw:130-140

i workout 1-2 hours a day
cardio m-sat
20 min-weights-m,w,f,sun

Replies

• stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great!!!
    Keep up the good work. Stay positive.
    The best type of exercise is HIIT (high intensity interval training). To maximize you only need to perform this about 12 min a day. Do a google search - this is truth.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Use more weight. Heavy weight training is the best way to minimize lean body mass loss while losing weight. Do it 3 times a week for 40-60 minutes or so. Look into a routine like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, or something else. As long as you lift heavy weights your body will keep most of your muscle mass and instead use up your fat.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    do you have a membership to a gym? if so, ask someone to show you the machines!
    if not... keep doing what you are doing for now, however eventually our bodies get used to our workout routine and we need to change it up to keep losing. i feel like everybody has slightly different needs for exercising to lose weight/fat so its tough to give one specific program. have you tried the Couch to 5k app? it is an app that is very inexpensive that coaches you to running (or jogging) for somewhere between 20-30 minutes straight (i forget what the time of the final week is)... it can take as little as 9 weeks, but when i was trying it i did a few of the weeks for more than one week straight because i didn't feel ready to move to the next level. starts out week one with intervals of more walking and less jogging and as the weeks go by you jog for longer periods and walk for shorter periods until you are jogging the whole time by the end of it. it is supposedly supposed to make you be able to run 5k in that time period but my legs are short (i'm only 5'1) so i find it hard to run that distance in that time but knowing that i am building up the endurance is good enough for me. you can do it outside or on a treadmill... i've been doing more workout videos lately so i haven't done it in a while but i think when the warmer weather comes and i can exercise outside again i will give it another shot.