Good recipe for quinoa???

Options
I've only had quinoa once but want to try to make it at home. Any suggestions for a great recipe?? Thanks!

Replies

• vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love using quinoa instead of rice in stir-fries. It's also good inside of a wrap for lunch!
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe I always make and it's delicious. I cook my quinoa as per package directions but usually I will boil it in chicken broth instead of water! In a seprate pan, fry up onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt & pepper (other spices as you like..) in olive oil. Once they are cooked a bit, chop up a sweet potato into small pieces and add them in, add water gradually as needed to cook the sweet potato. Cook until the sweet potato is softened. Serve on top of the quinoa & voila! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is good as a salad base. Just add chopped vegetables and a vinaigrette. I also like to add a can of rinsed beans to up the fiber and protein, and because I think beans are yummy.

It is a good substitute for bulgar in tablouleh.

It's also a good side dish on it's own. I like to cook it in chicken or vegetable broth and season with Mrs. Dash garlic and herb.

It's also good in soup.

ETA: Oh, I also like to serve it plain with chicken marsala. I put the quinoa on the plate first and then the chicken and mushroom sauce over all. And I think I may have just decided what we're having for dinner.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Blueberry Quinoa for breakfast:

Heat 2 cups of milk to a simmer. Add 1 cup quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let quinoa absorb the milk. When most of the milk is absorbed, stir in cinnamon and brown sugar. I do about a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 1/2 tablspoons of brown sugar. I like it very sweet, but you can cut back on the sugar. Keep cookng until milk is fully absorbed. Once milk is completely absorbed mix in 1/2 cup (or more!) blueberries. Top with 1/2 cup or so of fresh blueberries before serving.

Oftentimes I will cook this in the evening and reheat in the morning for breakfast. Very yummy!
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So far they all look delicious.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Today I had quinoa with kidney- beans and veggies (carrots, red pepper, courgette, onion)

Also tasty with chicken breasts, a great combination! In that combination I recommend to make the chicken with curry/pepper, a somewhat salsa-taste or something (as healthy as possible, of course). The soft quinoa and the spicy chicken is amazing, mexican- like :heart:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love this salad:

http://livefromlaquinta.com/2012/07/03/southwest-salad-with-black-beans-avocado-and-quinoa/

I make it for cookouts and get-togethers and I have friends that specifically request it. I had it for lunch today actually.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did this a few nights ago--
    rinse quinoa (this is really important) and simmered it in chicken broth instead of water
    in another pan sauted some zucchini, onion, tomatoes, & asparagus, then added some garlic

after both are finished, mix quinoa with veges, some olive oil & grated parmisan & fresh parsley.